Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk R100RS plastics – cleaning product

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

Hi, first time on the forum. I have a '91 R100RS in great condition but the panniers and other plastics do show their age a little. I do use Armoural on the plastic which brings it up a treat – until the first rain then it just washes off leaving it with that slightly greyish tinge.Anyone tried anything else on the older plastics to keep them looking good? I did look at a Mother's product from Repco but it wasn't so good on the 'rougher' plastic of the panners etc.Not critical (and I'm not after concourse - just want to keep her looking good 🙂 but worth asking the question.Cheers,Terry

Anonymous

Hi Terry and welcome to the forum.I would have thought the plastic panels are painted and the paint is passed it's use by date. They probably need repainting.

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

Hi Terry,There are a few products on the market but most are expensive.  Over the years I've used black boot polish on old plastic then Neopol furniture polish which gives a good gloss and doesn't wash off.  The other reasonably inexpensive option is a can of silicon spray but Neopol is the go for me.  Give it a try.malcolm

Tim BLAKE
    Participant

They may need a respray with a can of Satin Black aerosol. I did mine and they came up looking as good as when I bought them new. First you would have to remove anything that has been used previously. A Wax and Grease Remover may do it or white spirits (or perhaps even a quick rub over with Brakekleen – but be careful it doesn't soften the plastic – I'd try it on the underside first). Then I would apply some ESP (Easy Surface Prep) to get the paint to bond (easily obtainable from most hardware stores and instructions on the can). After the 90 minute drying time you simply spray the panniers after you have masked off the hinges, locks etc.. Good luck if you give this a try

Grant Freeman
    Participant

Hi Terry,I use a plastic polish - a Solvol Autosol product and it is cheap - about $7 a tube. This cleans plastic rather then polishes it, but once it is clean, then you can apply a polish over the top. The cleaner gets all the road film off etc.http://www.ridershq.co.nz/product/573/AutosolPlasticCleaner75mltube.bossI got the autosol plastic cleaner from a motor parts retailer in Hamilton - Trailways or something like that. If you are based in Hamilton, I could let you have a tube as I got a couple as it is not your regularly avaialble stuff.Cheers,Mike

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks to everyone who answered. I appreciate the help – part of the value of being in the Register.Cheers,Terry

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.