Home Forums General Discussion Quality insurance experience, have you had one?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

Hi All,I want to relate to you the quality insurance experience I had lately with my insurance company Protecta Insurance.I had the misfortune to have what I thought was a minor off but it caused damage to the tune of $12,250.00 to my other marque brand bike.The bike is fully insured for a value of $18,000.00 for all riders with full licences that are over 25. It has done just over 6000kms. Premiums are $61.50 per month including no claims bonus and the excess for both accident and theft is $500.00 for me and $1000.00 for any other rider. The policy includes the usual roadside assist type cover etc.Protector were fantastic throughout the claims process with a no questions asked type of attitude and they have been expedient throughout the whole process. They are open to negotiation which allowed me to replace the standard seat and exhaust with a gel seat and Arrow pipe which I’m importing myself and can get at around the same price as the standard items quoted by the dealership that I chose to carry out the repairs.The net result is I’m getting a new bike with aftermarket parts that cost me the $500.00 excess (and premium payments).I’m interested to see other forum member’s experiences with your insurance company and comparisons in terms of amount your bike is insured for, your monthly premiums and what your excess is.It’s Gr82briding!

aegis4805
    Participant

Hi – thanks for posting – I'm currently looking to upgrade my GS with another and am considering comprehensive insurance – having previously carried much of the risk myself (third party only on my current machines)Your post about Protecta is helpful. Anyone else willing to chime in please with comment as to which insurance company is best - value, service considerations etcthanks in advance Aslan aka Stephen O

Anonymous
    Inactive

I wasn't going to derail Neil's experience, but talking to others there have been the negative experiences with Protecta as well.I use the broker Kiwibike, and through them you'd insure with the likes of Swann and Star, depending on your needs and how they work for you. I think Kiwibike may also use Protecta now. I'm with Swann.I've had one claim of $18,500, and it was all sorted, bike assessed and the assessor rang me to check what I wanted to do, to take it into account. If I want to do any track day or event, I let them know and it's normally as easy as that. Temporary insurance when purchasing a new bike gets sorted, just ring them when changing etc.

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

I'm sure there are the good and not so good aspects to most of them.  For what it's worth here's a good one.  I've been with John Baker ever since he started his scheme and can only say good things about them.  They are well priced and have sorted my two (bike) claims quickly and efficiently.  One claim on Jean's yellow car cost me my excess $200 because the guy that ran in to us in Kaitaia changed his story, didn't acutally own the car (his daughters) and the car wasn't insured, registered or have a WOF.  I have to say they went to great lengths to get some money out of him but after 6 months gave up.  John Baker is also very obliging in so far as he will insure multiple bikes on one policy with big savings.  If I want to lend my son a bike I give them a call the day prior and they'll give him temporary cover.  When buying and selling all that is required is a phone call, they are totally obliging.  Rider: I don't work for them  😉  Good luck whoever you go with.

Arne Rohde
    Participant

Never having had a bike accident claim my experience of insurance companies is mainly one of getting bikes insured and paying the premiums. However some years ago I changed from Protecta to John Baker Insurance, mainly because of a considerably lower premium and very low extra cost for insuring 2 (or more) bikes. Now I have no-claims bonus for life if I stay with JBI, so with no negative experiences I don't expect to be changing anytime soon.

aegis4805
    Participant

to all who've posted responses – thanks – looking to get more active in the Register – returning to the fold – accepting that I'm getting too old to keep up with the young bucks on events like the Dusty Butt and such like – at almost 65 my collar bone broken on the way to the DB is still not fully healed – 10 screws and metal plate holding it together – back to the topic – cheers S

Ron McFadzien
    Participant

Hello Aslan, what are you going to buy now? Sorry to hear about your shoulder. I am 3-1/2 months down now and itching to get back on the bike. I was thinking of getting the Kawasaki out of the shed but I promised her indoors I would stay off the bike for 6 months. They even gave me the Opps award for it. Really annoyed they didn't operate on mine but the orthopedic surgeon said he didn't repair broken collar bones and that was that. Last xrays showed it was starting to heel, still hurts in different positions. The ribs have been as bad as anything. Like the snap shot. Catch you out there again soon.boGSer

Anonymous
    Inactive

15-11-12Well heres a thing, I am insured with Protecta so no doubt because of my recent invoulantary modifications to the bike, I will be qualified to give a current report on the claim process from start to finish.Currently I am very happy with the process,the bike is at Experience motorcycles where they have I think made their initial assessment on repairs and maybe submitted it to Protecta,we are only a week into the claim but so far total communication by email has been very good.Hopefully I have posted this in the right place and not caused any sensitive motorcyclist to go running for his paper hankies at the thought of falling off !!!!  😛 ( tounge in cheek) Ha Ha(sorry private joke)22-11-2012Update on claimPretty well 2 and a half weeks into the clain proceedure now and I emailed Protecta for an update yesterday and recieved a reply within a couple of hours to say that they had recieved the preliminary assesment for the repairs from Experience BMW along with the Police incident report from Ohakune Police, and would probably be giving them Authorisation to go ahead with repairs today.Recieved a phone call from Sebastian at Experience BMW this morning to say that they will be placing an order for parts today and they should be here in a couple of weeks time and he will advise about completion when he has all the parts required in front of him.Looks like the bike will be repaired about the same time as me.06-12-2012Got a friend to give me a ride down to Experience today to have a look at my bike, to say I was a little dissapointed to find out that my bike has been sitting out on the yard for five weeks in all the weather we have had in Auckland recently would be the bloody understatement of the year !!! I got the impression that my bike was just in their way.I know some of you will say I'm a fussy buggah,but just live in my head for a minute and see how it feels to see $20,000 of your hard earned cash that you only had the pleasure of riding for a day and a half, being treated like a $500.00 hack.I got my friend to ride back in the afternoon with a cover to put over it.Maybe it's my fault, pehaps I should have asked the question when I dropped it off,I would have gladly supplied a cover, communication is a wonderfull thing.Anyway I've had my rant and hopefully it will prompt a few more of you to ask the question if you are ever unfortunate to have to book your bike in for a repair that will take six weeks or more.This has nothing to do with Protecta's insurance service whatsoever but it will be mentioned in dispatches.19-12-12 updateRequested update from BMW Experience today regarding the ETA on repairs to my bike, I am two days away from the bike being off the road for seven weeks since it was incarcerated. Sebastian says that the parts are all here now and repairs are scheduled for next week and I should have it back in the new year...too be honest I'm glad I'm injured in a way because I just find it so frustrating that these things take so long to complete,two months seems a long time to wait for cosmetic repairs.I will be healed enough in a week or so sufficiently enough to throw my leg over the saddle and go for a ride....lets hope the bike is in the same condition.03-01-13 updateBike repaired and collected, all tickety boo !Can't really fault Protecta..it did exactly what it said on the tin !BMW NZ in general though in my book could have done more to prevent this accident from ever happening in the first place, if their recall system had actually worked I wouldn't be sitting here trying to ignore the pain in my ankle and ribs.It seems that even when you have your bike serviced by an authorised BMW agent, the recall system is still open to failure and unless the owner is aware of the issue it will be missed !RegardsRincewind.

aegis4805
    Participant

Hello Aslan, what are you going to buy now? Sorry to hear about your shoulder. I am 3-1/2 months down now and itching to get back on the bike. I was thinking of getting the Kawasaki out of the shed but I promised her indoors I would stay off the bike for 6 months. They even gave me the Opps award for it. Really annoyed they didn't operate on mine but the orthopedic surgeon said he didn't repair broken collar bones and that was that. Last xrays showed it was starting to heel, still hurts in different positions. The ribs have been as bad as anything. Like the snap shot. Catch you out there again soon.boGSer

Apologies this is off topic I realise - boGSer, thanks for your note - good luckwith your healing and look forward to seeing you soon - my new ride is an 09 R1200GS - very pleasedGr82briding and others - re the insurance Q - I went with Protecta for cover for my new acquisitioncheers S

Clive Lawrence
    Participant

I've actually had a good quote from AA insurance… can't change over to them until I get out of Chch.Checked with the car first and found that was a couple of hundred cheaper than State... which I have had very good dealings with.Now just waiting for the move to Wellington in a few months and yes the quote for the bike was cheaper as well. Didn't mention anything about adventure riding though.....  😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.