Home Forums General Discussion Pssst, it’s here.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Nice looking bike 25 hp and 10nm more torque than My 04 1200 and only 9 more kilos,But what about the new KTM adventure 150hp/125nm and only 230kgs with 23 litres of gas on board,But theres more ,no expensive final drive bills.I note the KTM has the same Tyre size as the new GS or Adventure R with 21 in front wheel .Not sure about 150hp and 90/90-21 front .Ok in the gravel but I cant use all the power of My 60hp GS/PD in the gravel let alone 150 HP!Might have to take them all for good ride?

The KTM 1190 Adventure is a nice looking bike. It might have more gas on board, but the 990 wasn't exactly frugal, so it probably needs the extra fuel to go places. From what I hear they are pretty highly strung bikes. A friend's KTM990 has had more surgery than Cher.  The outright performance is hypothetical anyway, unless you are a top rider. If I can't get where I want to on my $5000 R80GS, I am even less likely to make it on a $30000 bike. But really, it depends what you want and how badly you want it. BMW isn't going to stop developing new models, just because the old ones still work ok. I know that I can harp on all day long about all the complexities. But if it's anything like my 1150, not much will go wrong with it. The reason I won't be buying one any time soon is that I do too many km. This would mean steep depreciation coupled with high service costs, if it's too difficult to service myself. If it turns out that I could handle the service without a degree in computer programming and rocket science, I would probably consider it. But really, I don't have to have one badly enough.  If I win the Lotto tonight, all bets are off :-). If you don't need Lotto to buy one, lucky you.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The reason I won't be buying one any time soon is that I do too many km. This would mean steep depreciation coupled with high service costs, if it's too difficult to service myself.

My tip is don't buy new. Did that with my KTM 990SM and apparently 63,000km in 27 months destroys the value of a bike. Traded it for 1/3 of it's original price, which kinda hurt.Really wanted the 1200GSA complete with ASC etc etc, so got a demo one with 4000km on the clock. Ok, so the extra 56,000km I've done in 21 months has probably still affected the value... Still, I had that enjoyment for 21 months! The only unknown is how many km I put on before wanting a WC GSA (if I want one) as I won't have a first year... The GSA is at least 2014, so the bike should go around the clock at least once  ::)

Dave Ross

Yeah, buying used is the way to go. But I tend to keep my stuff for a long time, that's another way to take the sting out of the depreciation.  But I have to say, buying a bike and not riding it much has got to be worse :-). Anyway, there is no rush and it's fun reading about this and dreaming a little in the process.

Mark Mackay
    Participant

Problem of keeping a bike for a long time[8.5 years] You get attached to it.Its the longest I have ever kept a bike for,like the PD it might have to be a keeper.87000ks and it still feels like new.$28,000 new in 2004 and today You would be lucky to get about $10,000.Dont like the idea of taking $30,000 plus bikes down gravel roads or into the bush.My GS has been over the Motu Steve When it was near new and had to stand in for a gravel tour when the PDs starter failed again.Better go and watch Lotto Those New GSs look the part.

Dave Morris
    Participant

Gazza, ya not doing a Dean on us are ya.and selling the HP2, that would be like cutting ya dick off, that bike is a keeper for eva.

Murray
    Participant

Gazza, ya not doing a Dean on us are ya.

Nope, there's another couple of 100k in the HP2 yet  ;D

Dave Ross

Gazza, ya not doing a Dean on us are ya.

Nope, there's another couple of 100k in the HP2 yet  ;D

Yes, it's definitely special. I should have bought Dean's when I had a chance.

Dave Morris
    Participant

that one went straight over both ya headscut & paste

Anonymous
    Inactive

I do miss my HP2 at times but enjoying my g450x and the many trail/enduro rides? Its 3 years old and never had a problem with it. I've dropped it so many times and nothing breaks. I change the oil every 10 hours, oil filter every 20 hours, clean/oil the air filter after each days ride and that's it. I'm a lot better rider now off road. My 4 year old g650x is the same. I'm not sure about the new 1200gs looks, i'll have to wait and see the bike in real life. I'm more looking forward to what Husqvarna comes up with as long as we get a better dealer in Auckland.I'm starting to think about maybe getting back on the road/gravel but the one thing I don't need is more weight that's the one thing I got feed up with my adventure was trying to get it up off the side stand.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.