Home Forums General Discussion Pssst, it’s here.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Don't let anyone know. As it does not yet exist in NZhttp://www.bmw-motorrad.de/de/de/index.html?content=http://www.bmw-motorrad.de/de/de/bike/enduro/r1200gs/r1200gs_overview.html&notrack=1Nothing says road bike more than170/120 tyres.  I hope that doesn't backfire. Even though most people never make it off the seal in Europe, they still like to imagine that they could. Now they have to hang with the Multistradas, while the Exploreres are off exploring. Suitable wheels will probably be an extra on this bike.The dreamr1200gs_340x230_01.jpgThe realityr1200gs_340x230_06.jpg

Mark Mackay
    Participant

Go on Alex it must be time to update the old black bike,Looks Ok.Problem is You dont get much for good old 1200's let alone 1150's Wonder What price? JohnG might have a idea at AGM?

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

I will eventually have to upgrade buy a different bike, but it will be a while yet. Because I like what I have and due to financial constraints :-).  It looks like I have spoke too soon (nothing unusual) and they do have a more off road friendly version. tan_header_equipment_variant_offroad.jpgAt the moment I just can't see past this water-cooled business. Once you go down that road, there are a whole lot of other options. I like the idea of being able to service my own bike. But the new one may be way past of what I would feel comfortable working on. I realize that the show must go on and they will continue to come up with new ideas, and so it should be. But history has shown that your are more likely to fall for the charm of the new model. I am sure you have a full set of all the other bikes :-).

Arne Rohde
    Participant

There's a great deal of information about the bike, in English, on the Australian mcnews web site:http://www.mcnews.com.au/2013_Bikes/BMW/R1200GS/Intro.htmSome of the more interesting features are a wet clutch at the front of the engine, and the gearbox integrated into the engine casing. Available with LED headlights. Cruise control. 238kg ready to ride. Longer swingarm. Anti-hop clutch (whatever that is. Sounds like a slipper clutch). 125 hp (92 kW), 125 Nm. One-hand adjustment of windscreen. Vertically-split engine case with cylinders integrated rather than bolt-on.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

There's a great deal of information about the bike, in English, on the Australian mcnews web site:http://www.mcnews.com.au/2013_Bikes/BMW/R1200GS/Intro.htmSome of the more interesting features are a wet clutch at the front of the engine, and the gearbox integrated into the engine casing. Available with LED headlights. Cruise control. 238kg ready to ride. Longer swingarm. Anti-hop clutch (whatever that is. Sounds like a slipper clutch). 125 hp (92 kW), 125 Nm. One-hand adjustment of windscreen. Vertically-split engine case with cylinders integrated rather than bolt-on.

The LED lights look pretty good and the instrument panel is neat as well. The wet clutch will suit off-road riding more, as well as  people who like to slip their clutch. The weight has gone up a little, but it's not too bad. The 92 kw is for bragging rights, it's not going to help you get around corners. The extra torque is always nice. The side panels will take getting used to, but the rest doesn't look too bad. However, since I have a perfectly good magnetic tank bag, I will have to keep my old bike :-).

Anonymous
    Inactive

Your magnetic bag wouldn't work on the current bike either…Extra power isn't really necessary. Hanging onto the GSA as it's kicking sideways as you launch yourself up a hill is pretty exciting stuff with "only" 110hp. I'm thinking the LED headlight (while very cool - and I have a fetish with lights) could potentially be so unusual cars won't see it? The plastic panels on the side of the tank look perfect for being being damaged/destroyed in every drop.BMW has done studies however, and apparently most of the bikes never go off road. Makes sense that they make it more road biased? AdvRider has threads about riders choosing the GS or GSA over an RT for touring, as it's ergonomics make it more touring friendly. Then again, some take a GS as it's smaller, lighter and a lower seat as they can't handle a GSA, sometimes fit stuff like GSA tank and crash bars. We could potentially see a widening gap between the GS and GSA, in line with KTM's forthcoming 1190 Adv and Adv R. The tyre sizes are unfamiliar to me, and I've never really considered running a different size to stock (and what's a suitable alternative), so my major concern here is tyre availability, especially for me, as I've pretty much run a different set of tyres each time on my GSA. The common sizes (vstrom, tenere, explorer, crosstourer etc) means there are a lot of options from TKC/Karoo to Pilot Road 3.I didn't find the current 1200GS attractive anyway, so the GSA is going to be make it or break it for me... I hope like hell they don't do something stupid like put a smaller tank on...Cruise control is something I've been waiting for, extremely welcome addition. Looks like more advanced nav controls with that dial on the left bar, points to a more complex onboard computer (an option on the mcnews website - I'm guessing, but we get full spec bikes here with no choice). Very cunning that it looks like you'll also be able to control the GPS with the bike controls. Potentially locks you into GPS choice, depending on what manufacturers use. Given I use the open source maps, I would tread carefully.Ultimately, evolution, not surprising. I'm not going to run out and buy one, but then I'm not a 1200GS customer...

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

My magnetic tank bag fits just fine onto my 1150.  Yeah, some people still think that the GSA is the off-road version of the GS range and it's just as heavy as my bike. At least it has a smaller first gear. I have, at times, taken it to some unusual places, but due to the gearing would not dare to take it though the 42nd traverse. That's what the airhead is for and yes, the same tank bag works on it as well. But at least I know that when I drop it, it's either oil or fuel that's dripping :-).

Anonymous
    Inactive

“Some of the more interesting features are a wet clutch at the front of the engine, and the gearbox integrated into the engine casing. “...like the 1980's Honda CX500 ?

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

I had one of those, it was a superb bike. But the water pump liked to leak, for most this was an engine-out job. Thankfully, these days water pumps never leak.

Dave Morris
    Participant

the good news is all the bmw-offilites will run out & purchase one cause they need it so much, which then leaves there second hand bikes for others to purchase at a good price.I can see them on the Motu road right now. (ah no that's not sealed, maybe not)but on a more positive note probably the most sensible sports bike ever made if I was looking for a sports bike and had 35k to throw around.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Damn, I am starting to like it….P90104661-X3.jpg

Ron McFadzien
    Participant
    Murray
    Participant

Anti-hop clutch (whatever that is. Sounds like a slipper clutch).

An anti-hopping clutch just enables the engine brake torque to pass to the rear wheel at a reduced level during coasting. This prevents brief blocking or 'hopping' of the rear wheel due to the wheel load distribution when applying the brakes heavily and changing down at the same time. The bike is more stable and controlled under braking. Clutch disengagement during coasting is effected mechanically by means of a ramp mechanism.What's interesting is that the gearbox and clutch on the new 1200GS are integrated in the engine housing, first time for BMW. Obvious benefits in terms of weight balance, fewer bolt connections and sealing surfaces, but also in terms of the torsional response of the unit as a whole. In addition to saving space and weight, the new gearbox (two transmission shafts, one drive shaft, one output shaft) means there is no longer any need for the additional transmission oil previously required for lubrication.It's also the first serial production BMW to have a multi-plate wet clutch with eight friction discs instead of the previous single-disc dry clutch. The benefits of this lie in the reduced moment of inertia, due mainly to the significantly reduced external diameter of 147 millimetres (previously 180 mm), but also in its more compact size.Being as one of BMW's development goals was to increase performance overall, this (as well as adherence to future anticipated requirements of noise and exhaust emission control) could only be done through a change in the cooling system. The boxer engine in the new R 1200 GS continues to use air/liquid cooling, however, the coolant oil has been replaced by a glycol-water mixture, which has a high level of heat absorption capacity for more efficient heat dissipation. So-called precision cooling (a principle similar to that used in Formula 1) involves only those engine elements being cooled with coolant that are particularly exposed to thermal stress. The engine is still largely air cooled though, preserving the characteristic appearance of the boxer engine. The two radiators are pretty small and not that conspicuous. I quite like this bike, not that I'm up to replacing the HP2 just yet  8)

Mark Mackay
    Participant

Nice looking bike 25 hp and 10nm more torque than My 04 1200 and only 9 more kilos,But what about the new KTM adventure 150hp/125nm and only 230kgs with 23 litres of gas on board,But theres more ,no expensive final drive bills.I note the KTM has the same Tyre size as the new GS or Adventure R with 21 in front wheel .Not sure about 150hp and 90/90-21 front .Ok in the gravel but I cant use all the power of My 60hp GS/PD in the gravel let alone 150 HP!Might have to take them all for good ride?

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

An anti-hopping clutch just enables the engine brake torque to pass to the rear wheel at a reduced level during coasting. This prevents brief blocking or 'hopping' of the rear wheel due to the wheel load distribution when applying the brakes heavily and changing down at the same time. The bike is more stable and controlled under braking. Clutch disengagement during coasting is effected mechanically by means of a ramp mechanism.

Very impressive Garry, I had no idea you were such a technical guy.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.