Home Forums General Discussion Potential ‘I.C.E.’ solution from Motorcycle Safety Advisory Council

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

[html] [/html]

Arne Rohde
    Participant

I'm actually in two minds about this scheme, and would like some more information about results from countries such as the UK where it has been in use for some time. How many use it? How many keep it up to date? Has it saved any time or lives? Do emergency services have any statistics to show its usefulness?An alternative is to put an ICE number in the directory of your mobile phone. But that doesn't contain any medical or other useful data except a contact telephone number. Also, there's no guarantee that a mobile phone will survive a crash. And some people use a PIN number to unlock a phone.Personally I have an ICE entry in my mobile phone, and I have a laminated card in my wallet together with the drivers licence, with details of who to contact in case of an accident. It would be easy to add any relevant medical information to that card. If MSAC do produce that card I'd probably keep it in my wallet rather than having a copy in each helmet.

peter.trub
    Participant

It may encourage people to attempt to remove helmets. Not always a good thing.

Anonymous
    Inactive

There's a sticker you put on the outside of the helmet that presumably denotes the existence. Ultimately, whatever solution would need to be known, accepted and utilised.As said, mobile a, may not survive, b, if it did, then mine always has a pin lock (security software requires it). I think it's been raised about something in the wallet, but how do you who's it is, would medics waste the time to look for wallet?I have a dog tag with basics like ICE, blood type etc, but would they follow it?I don't think the average member of public would know/understand/try to remove a helmet, and any other post that ever raises the idea of first aid, I reply that helmets should only be removed in the most severe of situations (ie, they would be worse off if it's left on). Even as track marshals we do not remove helmets as there is a special 2-person technique. Medic only.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I use a U-Tag Digital Dogtag. Has all your I.C.E info plus whatever else is important.  Comes with a sticker to put on your bike fairing/dashboard/helmet. Hang it around your neck – no need to remove the helmet. Only issue could be do the paramedics/police have a device to plug in a USB.http://www.utagice.com/acatalog/index.html

Arne Rohde
    Participant

For a while it seemed as if QR codes were becoming ubiquitous, and more easily and widely readable than a USB device. A custom printout of a QR code with an ICE indication would provide information that, although not directly humanly readable, would be available to most emergency response personnel with a smartphone.But back to my original point. What information about experience of the MSAC proposal is available from countries who already use it?

peter.trub
    Participant

I don't think the average member of public would know/understand/try to remove a helmet, and any other post that ever raises the idea of first aid, I reply that helmets should only be removed in the most severe of situations (ie, they would be worse off if it's left on). Even as track marshals we do not remove helmets as there is a special 2-person technique. Medic only.

I have seen fellow motorcyclist's getting ready to take off others helmets, not much hope then that your Joe average public will be wiser. If the stickers states that important information is inside the helmet I would hazard a guess someone would attempt to remove it.As Artig asks, what information is available?

Anonymous

I don't think the average member of public would know/understand/try to remove a helmet, and any other post that ever raises the idea of first aid, I reply that helmets should only be removed in the most severe of situations (ie, they would be worse off if it's left on). Even as track marshals we do not remove helmets as there is a special 2-person technique. Medic only.

I have seen fellow motorcyclist's getting ready to take off others helmets, not much hope then that your Joe average public will be wiser. If the stickers states that important information is inside the helmet I would hazard a guess someone would attempt to remove it.As Artig asks, what information is available?

Interesting result when you ask this question at a First Aid course. It isn't as definite as you make it out to be. Whenever I'm asked, I say, "Go get some training, it's not my area of expertise." That way I can't be accused of perpetuating urban myths.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.