Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk Pinging

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Mine went on my 1100S, they were done under warranty. I also changed them on my GS. Basically I think the bearings (it's usually the ones at the rear end of the S/A, where the bevel box mounts) are simply undersized for the huge torsion forces going through them. It's not a tricky DIY job, hardest part is getting the preload on the bearing correct, taper rollers, so I just do them till any play just goes away, rather than trying to use the official torque figures.

Dave Ross

I thought he was talking about the main swingarm bearings, not the pivot bearings to the final drive. I've had the pivot bearings replaced, next time I'll put the solid bronze bushes in.

Dave Morris
    Participant

I am getting quite a bit of pinging under hard acceleration. Has anyone else had that problem and if so, how did you deal with it. Other than the pinging the bike is running well. It can't be all that good for it, so I am a bit concerned.  Just to be more precise, it also happens with 98 Octane and it's on the 1150.

you shaw u ant being followed by a U Boat

Dave Ross

A U-Boat? No, I've never bothered to look over my shoulder, knowing that NZ doesn't have any. Next time I'll check.

David
    Participant

If you wuz an infanteer Bwucie you've been riding in my Huey!  👿NZ fuel is not crap, it is manufactured to a tight spec and undergoes serious quality control and random inspections from the refinery to the pump! If you have a pinging problem after refuelling there may have been a small amount of water in the gas station underground tank. Dont go back to that site until you've seen the forecourt dug up.  😉

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.