Home Forums General Discussion Pannier compatibility

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

Hi allI have BMW Aluminium panniers on my 2011 R1200GS - does anyone know if they will also fit on an F700GS?Thanks,Ken

Mark Mackay
    Participant

Racks will be the question? Try checking the part numbers on the MaxBmw online parts fiche.Taking it that You have BMW adventure alloy Panniers? Is that Your 2009 1200 on Trademe?Cheers

Anonymous
    Inactive

Partly probably depends on year, however, I did find this link.https://www.ascycles.com/2/BMW-F700GS-parts-accessories/ProductID/52317Seems the F700GS panniers will fit the LC, but not camhead. This would suggest the exhaust/cut out are on opposite sides or something like that?

Mark Mackay
    Participant

Gremlin exhaust on the 650-800's is the same as the hex heads 04-13. It's the new LC that is on the RH side. The alloy panniers on the adventures look the same.Racks will be different.Just checked the part numbers 1 number out in each of the part numbers , only way to make sure is for Gremlin next time he's going past a 800 Adventure is to try the out to see if they fit.

Anonymous
    Inactive

From memory, didn't the 800 Adventure have a curved rack? http://allroadendurotouring.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/NewBMWf800GSAdventure2013TankPannierRackComfortSeat.jpgYet the pannier parts clearly say, F800GSA has rack, others (inc F800GS) need that rack, then those panniers mount. Looks like it curves both along the bike and also the cut out is an angle in more ways than my GSA at least.Yeah... probably easier just to chase down some poor stranger  ;D

Anonymous
    Inactive

On the inside lid of my panniers it gives maximum speed limits (panniers on) for the R1200GS and the F800 so I am assuming they can fit there. Different racks needed maybe.

Mark Mackay
    Participant

When I checked part numbers the racks were almost $600 US so the price here might be a shock. I have alloy Givi Trecker Outback panniers for the 1200 and just got a rack for the 800 GS as well,Using the same Panniers.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Next time I plan on seeing you Richard I want to see what the clearance is like between my BMW top loading panniers and that 58L top box…

aegis4805
    Participant

Racks will be the question? Try checking the part numbers on the MaxBmw online parts fiche.Taking it that You have BMW adventure alloy Panniers? Is that Your 2009 1200 on Trademe?Cheers

Not to distract from Ken's Q about panniers - Richard K - the 09 R12 on trade me is mine - idly flirting with the idea of an F800GS - prolly end up keeping my current combo of R12 and DR650 - cheers S

Mark Mackay
    Participant

It's hard to get the perfect bike, bought a 2013 F800GS  great for getting around in Auckland traffic, not to bad comfort wise 2 up , but not a 1200GS for touring. Have not tried the 800 of road yet but I do not think it will be as good as the G650X in the gravel or of road. The 800 is good weight wise and plenty of get up and go, so it's a hard choice ,got a shed full of bikes but can't make the choice Wich to drop off. It's a adiction problem.

aegis4805
    Participant

It's hard to get the perfect bike, bought a 2013 F800GS  great for getting around in Auckland traffic, not to bad comfort wise 2 up , but not a 1200GS for touring. Have not tried the 800 of road yet but I do not think it will be as good as the G650X in the gravel or of road. The 800 is good weight wise and plenty of get up and go, so it's a hard choice ,got a shed full of bikes but can't make the choice Wich to drop off. It's a adiction problem.

still off topic apologies - thanks Richard - yes, I agree - I think in the right hands either the R12 or the F800GS are excellent gravel / shingle riding machines - the F800 just has less mass and the 21" front wheel inspire confidence in deep shingle. Having seen F800GS at the Dusty Butt - in the Awakino Saddle (a Challenge Section in years past) I can see that for most mere mortals a humble DR is a far better bet or something more refined like a KTM - back to panniers - what would I know I run Wolfman Expedition Dry Bags on my DR and GS 🙂 (interchangeable)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well I bit the bullet and traded the R1200GS Triple Black on a F700GS. With my health being a bit crap these days the Triple Black was just too heavy (and top heavy) for me. I rode a F700GS through Southern Africa last year and quite liked it – hopefully it will do all I need it to do. Panniers were not interchangeable so have bought a new set of aluminium panniers – got a good price for the topbox on the Triple Black so have bought a top box as well.Still all being sorted so will be interesting to see how I find the change.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.