Home Forums General Discussion Our old friends ACC

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Cobber of mine snaps his femur while out walking, limps home a bit sore, goes to work for the rest of the week, a bit sore; Waitangi Day feels a bit better, takes his Yamaha outta the garage to tidy up and work on it, so far, so painful.Work finished, throws a leg over the seat to pull it back, fracture finally goes out of alignment, he falls down, bike falls alongside him, he yells for help till a passer-by hears him and calls the ambos.And ACC currently have it down as a motorcycle accident. 😮I've always thought they sorted out the non-road related events as more medical reports come to hand - sure as hell have to hope they catch this one on the way through!

Dave Ross

Cobber of mine snaps his femur while out walking,

I didn't know you could do that, just shows you, be careful out there.

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

Work finished, throws a leg over the seat to pull it back, fracture finally goes out of alignment, he falls down, bike falls alongside him, he yells for help till a passer-by hears him and calls the ambos.

I should think it would be hard to prove it wasn't motorcycle related since there were no witnesses and the passer by found him under his bike?

Anonymous

Work finished, throws a leg over the seat to pull it back, fracture finally goes out of alignment, he falls down, bike falls alongside him, he yells for help till a passer-by hears him and calls the ambos.

I should think it would be hard to prove it wasn't motorcycle related since there were no witnesses and the passer by found him under his bike?

Alongside the bike, not underneath, and he'd had the fracture (unbeknownst) for a week from a walking accident. The bike fell over over he did - and left it with nothing holding it up.

Anonymous
    Inactive

A couple of years ago my wife (as pillion) tripped and fell getting off the bike at a petrol station. Broke her pelvis (ouch) :(. Carted off to Blenheim hospital by ambo. ACC forms completed by the hospital put it down as an 'other accident' and not motorcycle related. ACC even transported her back to Palmie by air ambulance and the after care by ACC was excellent 🙂 :).Moral of the story is I guess it really depends on who is filling out the form!

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

A happy ending to an unfortunate accident Robin.  We often complain about “other” accidents eg quad and farm bikes being lumped in with our machines when compiling stats so in these two cases at least they won't be calculated in when putting our levies up again will they  🙂

Anonymous

Cobber of mine snaps his femur while out walking,

I didn't know you could do that, just shows you, be careful out there.

Yup, it was news to me, as well. Car backed out of a drive in front of him so he propped and stopped, sudden sharp pain, found he could still walk, so figured it was just a niggled muscle until it finally collapsed under him. (Bloke must be like the Wizzard, and tough about pain.)My sister took a small mis-step while walking her beagles, her good ankle just snapped: she now has two plated and screwed, and another month left in a moon-boot yet.Ageing bodies, underlying medical reasons we don't know about, maybe we should be careful. I walked the beagles today while I waited for my bike to be serviced - nothing broke but the beagles' endurance, and they both needed a nana-nap when they got home. But now, six hours and a trip (on foot) to the supermarket later my arthritic knees are saying, "Bwucie, about all this walking we're doing............."But I'm not listening.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.