Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk Opinions Sought – 1150GS or 1150RT

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have a year 2000, 1150GS, 66000km. I call it Daffy. I only ever ride it on the road. It has Ohlins, spotlights, all the fruit. Single spark, ABS2.I know of a year 2004 1150RT, 40000km. It looks in good condition.I could swap, with a cash difference. Question is, which is going to be better for my use? I commute into Christchurch 26 km to work and back each day (52km total), and we head away maybe 2 or 3 times a year for a weekend away. The GS is good for that, but I wonder if the RT would be better.Fuel economy is getting more important, which one uses more? Which costs the most for tyres, service etc?I know a bit, but lots of you know lots more. Let me have your opinions.Ta 😉

Anonymous

Always buy bikes because they demand you take them home, otherwise you'll regret the day you met them.  Without passion they are just money guzzlers (dare I say it, a bit like the ladies inya life.)Also, on the same basis, if you can afford it, have two.The Librarian is so going to kill me when she reads this.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I agree with Bwucie,the only reason for ditching one and getting another is love or old age, if you can get away with having two at once and using one for best and the other for the mundane stuff like cooking and cleaning then good luck to ya….as far as the bike goes though I can offer no advice…..Now that's me and Bwucie in trouble...see what you started.

Russell Taylor
    Participant

Hell, I can't afford two. The original purchase isn't too bad, but the ongoing costs are enormous.Or two bikes.

Dave Morris
    Participant

R 1XXX GS bikes are the best sports bikes on the marketR1xxxRT are a very good bike but not as much clearance as GS stay with the GS

Russell Taylor
    Participant

I bow to your advice, oh wise one.  😮

Jim Young
    Participant

Stick with the real bike  8)

Dave Ross

There is a lot of Tupperware on an RT. All that stuff needs to be taken off for service and if the thing tips over on anything but a flat surface, there will be carnage. But hey, what do I know, I don't ride on at work, I am just good at dropping stuff.

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

I've had an 1100 RT and I have a 1200 GS. Both lovely bikes and both very capable, we rode our RT (very slowly) over Mt. Dampier in the wet from Whanga to Mokau.  The RT is a little heavier but still nimble, the GS is a little taller and even more nimble.  Both are very good long distance tourers and can be commuted on with ease but neither would be my bike of choice for commuting in Auckland traffic. Cost to run is very similar apart from taking the plastic off for a service if that if factored in at the dealer.  Both will carry a heap of luggage and a passenger with ease and still give great performance.  RT gets a little warm in the summer but is toasty in the cold.  However the GS has adequate protection and with heated grips is no problem in the cold.  Ideally get the RT and keep the GS but if not I would stay with the GS unless you really just feel like a change but you may regret it.   Good luck. PS if you get both you can insure them with John Baker on one policy at a good price (I have two) and if running costs are a real problem register them alternately for 6 months.  🙂

Russell Taylor
    Participant

There is a lot of Tupperware on an RT. All that stuff needs to be taken off for service and if the thing tips over on anything but a flat surface, there will be carnage. But hey, what do I know, I don't ride one at work, I am just good at dropping stuff.

You know the important stuff. You may have guessed that I lie the bike down occasionally too. Normally very low speed, so just annoying damage.In light of what the posters have said, I think I'll just go back to loving my GS. The Tupperware on the RT would drive me nuts with scrapes on it.When you have a lie down on a work bike, the crash bars protect most of the tupperware. Good thing really. It's a numbers game, the more you ride a bike the more likely that you'll have a lie down. Shouldn't be that way, but it is.Thanks all.

Dave Morris
    Participant

go and sit down with a hot cup of cocoa and dont forget to put ya blanky ove ya legs

Anonymous

“.. we rode our RT (very slowly) over Mt. Dampier in the wet from Whanga to Mokau.”That's a helluva trip, Malcolm, and I thought a GS would be better for NZ's third highest peak.Mebbe a typo for Mt Damper, perchance?

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you feeling you are getting older and need comfort take a leaf out of the old rider in this thread who prefer GSes. Lets be honest being comfortable with your ride should be the first consideration lest we don't survive a tiring tatas. :- 🙂 🙂

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

".. we rode our RT (very slowly) over Mt. Dampier in the wet from Whanga to Mokau."That's a helluva trip, Malcolm, and I thought a GS would be better for NZ's third highest peak.Mebbe a typo for Mt Damper, perchance?

I figure Bruce, thanks.  A shitty ride on the RT all the same and we had done it once before on a Kwaka GTR 1000 which was in fact the catalist for us getting our first GS.

Anonymous
    Inactive

lots of good points made regarding the tupperware and $ involved in service access, damage, appearance etc.an interesting observation from fellow group rider as we disappeared up a dusty gravel road to Black Fern Lodge, Waimiha - "you're deliberately spinning up and showering those following (too closely) and even when you aren't, the vast tupperware basin sucks up more dust storm than the sports and GSs. moral - don't follow RTs on dusty roads

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.