Home Forums General Discussion Oil changes

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Nice wheels Mr G  😎

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

Thankyou Garry, they're actually Mrs Gs since I'm now working on the shore and we can't commute together.  She set out to get a “shopping basket” then changed that to “something that's fun” then again “maybe a cheap little sports car”!!  Some shopping basket.  I have to say with the top down it is a heap of fun – especially on the curves  😀

2bjr
    Participant

I presume you all are talking about bikes then?? 😕 😕 😀

janejohnstewart
    Participant

…  I'm thinking about buying an 12 volt oil pump to do oil changes in the car.  …

At the risk of getting this tread back onto the original topic, I must say that changing the oil without removing the sump plug really does sound like a No 8 fencing wire kind of bodge.You’ve got no way of finding out what nasties may be lurking in the sump, and if you don’t care what’s in the sump, then why bother changing the oil at all … 😮+1 for the AA 😀

Murray
    Participant

Thankyou Garry, they're actually Mrs Gs since I'm now working on the shore and we can't commute together.  She set out to get a "shopping basket" then changed that to "something that's fun" then again "maybe a cheap little sports car"!!  Some shopping basket.  I have to say with the top down it is a heap of fun - especially on the curves  😀

Funny, Mrs NZGSer is thinking along the same lines here (although aside from being fun, it has to be "environmentally friendly" as well) and we've been looking around a bit. Would appear the soon-to-be-upon-us Common Rail 1.6 TurboDiesel Mini is nudging ahead of the 1 Series we've tried recently, although I actually liked the wee Peugeot 206 Coupe Cabriolet we tried out as well. Me - Neanderthal that I am - I'll stick with the Ute thanks  😀

Anonymous

Thankyou Garry, they're actually Mrs Gs since I'm now working on the shore and we can't commute together.  She set out to get a "shopping basket" then changed that to "something that's fun" then again "maybe a cheap little sports car"!!  Some shopping basket.  I have to say with the top down it is a heap of fun - especially on the curves  😀

Funny, Mrs NZGSer is thinking along the same lines here (although aside from being fun, it has to be "environmentally friendly" as well) and we've been looking around a bit. Would appear the soon-to-be-upon-us Common Rail 1.6 TurboDiesel Mini is nudging ahead of the 1 Series we've tried recently, although I actually liked the wee Peugeot 206 Coupe Cabriolet we tried out as well. Me - Neanderthal that I am - I'll stick with the Ute thanks  😀

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enthusiasts/Spy_Shots_and_Future_Cars/Spy_Shots_2008_BMW_1-Series.S178.A11377.htmlI like the new Minihttp://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/203775/mini.html

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

I've had some interesting replies to my original question.  JohnC and others have raised the spectre of “nasties” in the sump.  My original interest and the subsequent question came about after I had read many posts on a large and very active Mercedes SLK web site.  The large majority of the members that post on the site use pumps either hand or 12 volt to do oil changes.  It has also been mentioned that some Mercedes workshops use this method.  I too have wondered about cleaning out the sump completely but as for “nasties” in the sump I have  spent my adult life (until 2002 when I bought my first new vehicle) doing my own oil and filter changes and never have I found anything more than a little sludge around the plug.  This has been on vehicles dating back to my 1939 Chevy Master delux.  So while I appreciate all of your comments, it seems that apart from Jeremy who didn't have a good experience, no one else has used this as an option.  Given the vehicle and my situation it would be a good option for me but I too have my reservations but will keep an open mind.  Thanks to all who have contributed and long may the thread  continue. 🙄

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

I have  spent my adult life (until 2002 when I bought my first new vehicle) doing my own oil and filter changes and never have I found anything more than a little sludge around the plug. 

Just shows you how successful the sump drain method is :-). 

janejohnstewart
    Participant

What was the origanal question again??? 😕

Never mind about what was the original question, it's more like why 😀Malcom seemd to have made his mind up before he asked the question.

clive.chapman
    Participant

Could always swap for a Corolla as they apparently dont need oil changes.According to my better half, she had one for 6 years and never bothered!

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.