Home Forums General Discussion Oil changes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Participant

😳 Sorry if this is a little out of place but I'm sure someone will help.  I'm thinking about buying an 12 volt oil pump to do oil changes in the car.  If you have had any experience with these things I would be grateful for your advice.ThanksMalcolm

Murray
    Participant

I'm thinking about buying an 12 volt oil pump to do oil changes in the car

And the problem with you sump plug is...??  😀

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

(If this comes up twice I apologize it has happened a couple of times today).  Garry, have you ever tried squeezing under an SLK 2300 to get to the sump plug?  😐

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Build yourself a little ramp so you can access the sump. In your case I would say it's easier to pay someone to do it. It's not like you have to do it that often.

2bjr
    Participant

And the Mercedes Benz mechanics was studying for what.  😀 😕 😀

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

Please explain Adventure?  Alex, your suggestion has caused me to think back to the mid eighties when I had a Kawasaki 750 GT.  I damaged a disc in my lower back and riding the bike was fine but any bending was or even squatting was bad news.  I know what i need said I, a ramp to run the bike up to waist hight so I can clean and work standing up.  Well by the time I'd finished I had a pretty big structure.  Twice as long as the bike including the ramp.  Getting on was a dodgey mission – take a run and hope I braked in time before running off the end. Then when I was up there I had to get off the bike and put it one the stand with only enough about a foot either side of the bike!!    I used it about 3 times before dismantling it and storing the timber for another project.  No I don't think I'll build any more ramps thanks.  😐

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Malcolm, what I had in mind was more a long the lines of using a couple of length of 200×50 stacked  so you could get 100mm of the ground. If you angle the ends and stagger them slightly it shouldn't be too hard to drive the car up. I used to lift the Porsche up onto axle stands for the oil change.  Trolley jacks and axle stands can be had for cheap.

Anonymous

why not just take the car to the AA they are cheap 😕

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

Yes the axle stands should be a consideration Alex.  I have a couple and a trolley jack already.  Did you put the Porche on four or just the front?  As for the AA Dean I used to use them many years ago but got out of the habit.  Not sure what they would charge for an oil change now but whatever it'll be cheaper to do it myself unless they discount oil and filters etc. I'll give them a call.  I'm still thinking it would be neat and relatively simple to poke a tube down the hole, suck out the oil, pour in the mobil one, spin off the filter and replace and go for a ride eh? 😆

ray
    Participant

The suggestions of ramps and AA all sound good, but if it was me I would just go buy a new car, choosing a pretty colour of course! 🙄

Anonymous

The suggestions of ramps and AA all sound good, but if it was me I would just go buy a new car, choosing a pretty colour of course! 🙄

Hi LesleyI see this is your first post. Welcome to the forum.

Murray
    Participant

have you ever tried squeezing under an SLK 2300 to get to the sump plug?  😐

Nup - drive a HOLDEN (when I'm not on my bike). I'd be happy to pay someone else to do that sort of thing - unless Mercedes service intervals have got a hell of a lot shorter  😀

2bjr
    Participant

😳 Sorry if this is a little out of place but I'm sure someone will help.  I'm thinking about buying an 12 volt oil pump to do oil changes in the car.  If you have had any experience with these things I would be grateful for your advice.ThanksMalcolm

What was the origanal question again??? 😕

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

What was the origanal question again??? 😕

That's quite subtle Adventure well done.  😆  OK guys sorry about the off topic foray.  I promise not to talk four wheels again.Why would you want to change this colour Lesley - you don't have to answer that. 🙂Malcolm

ray
    Participant

You are quite correct Malcolm…….I wouldn't want to change that colour. Very nice and it looks even better with Jean at the wheel. Hope you get your sump problem sorted before it gets too painful.  😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.