Home Forums General Discussion Oh No – NZ’s top BMW rider got a helicopter ride

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I heard a rumour that BMWNZ best customer and most experienced (self proclaimed) rider got a helicopter ride. Lucky we got such a great country that does this for free. Has a broken bone and a saw head and can't remember what happened. Clearly not riding to the conditions and out riding his ability. 👿Hope ya get better soon and have a nice trip from Chch to AK and ya not costing the taxpayer to much.   PS. will ya still be off to do Oz BMW ride. if not list it on trade me or offer it here first

aegis4805
    Participant

assume this is KiwiAdventure Steve – hope he is OK – best wishes for a speedy recovery KA if in fact tis you who has taken a tumble from your steed in the Yamaha Safari  – I think NZGSer is on that ride also

Dave Ross

Pretty harsh call there Mr. B. You could have at least waited for him to recover, before giving him a hard time. At least now I am not the only one who keeps getting reminded about helicopter cruises.Get well soon Dean. I saw your bike at the shop. It will live to ride another day by the looks of it. The scratched panel will give it some character.

Campbell Thomson
    Participant

Whose KA?

Campbell Thomson
    Participant

Steve “your such a bitch”

aegis4805
    Participant

Danny – you've prolly figured out by now that KA is short for Kiwi Adventure – cheers S

Murray
    Participant

I helped Dean into the ambulance. A combination of speed, dust and ruts is never going to be good. He will be sore and unlikely to be riding for a wee while yet. Sadly he was one of two with more than minor injuries on this Safari. I understand another Register member, Selwyn Blinkhorn, broke his leg on day 3.I enjoyed myself though, however 3 times through the Rainbow and Molesworth in one week is stretching my tolerance for dust a bit  😀

Dave Morris
    Participant

Pretty harsh call there Mr. B. You could have at least waited for him to recover, before giving him a hard time. At least now I am not the only one who keeps getting reminded about helicopter cruises.Get well soon Dean. I saw your bike at the shop. It will live to ride another day by the looks of it. The scratched panel will give it some character.

oh come on. He can take a good joke. You seen what he rides. Hey Garry did you offer to do the Tasmania ride for him. I also met a lady that knows you Garry. Her name is Hope and is wife of a friend. She mentioned whom she worked for.

aegis4805
    Participant

I helped Dean into the ambulance. A combination of speed, dust and ruts is never going to be good. He will be sore and unlikely to be riding for a wee while yet. Sadly he was one of two with more than minor injuries on this Safari. I understand another Register member, Selwyn Blinkhorn, broke his leg on day 3.I enjoyed myself though, however 3 times through the Rainbow and Molesworth in one week is stretching my tolerance for dust a bit  😀

sorry to here about Dean and Selwyn's misadventures Gary - having just done the Dusty Butt my thought is 'there but for the Grace of God go i" 🙂 S

Murray
    Participant

oh come on. He can take a good joke. You seen what he rides. Hey Garry did you offer to do the Tasmania ride for him. I also met a lady that knows you Garry. Her name is Hope and is wife of a friend. She mentioned whom she worked for.

Barbara got a good laugh out of it anyway  😀 The best bit is the discussion Jevon had with the local constabulary about the potential investigation of the crash - very cirucular and funny as a fight but I guess you had to be there  😀Couple of Aussies mentioned the Tasmania GS safari coming up, wouldn't mind giving it a crack at some stage although word is they want to run one in NZ - probably because they recognise now that the riding is better and more varied. Yep, know Hope well. She's a good sort.

Anonymous

I don’t know what happened 😕 I was found unconscious on the adventure ride at Hanmer on a farm trail on Saturday morning, barely 60 kms into the ride!  I can only remember waking up in hospital some hours later.  Yes I did get a helicopter ride, but can’t remember it or the ambulance ride at all. Broke my right shoulder and dislocated it as well.  Took them a couple of attempts to put it back in and the break has aligned well, but off for another x-ray and check tomorrow to see if it is staying put, otherwise surgery is on the cards.  Have a spectacular set of bruises now appearing on shoulder, arm and my right ankle, which somehow I managed to sprain and some spectacular gravel rash up the arm where my jacket rode up. Lesson learnt is that it pays to buy good gear, I believe that it certainly saved some more serious gravel burn etc, and never ride alone.  I dropped off the back of one group after stopping to open a gate??, but after that it’s all a mystery.  Reports from riders are that I was found unconscious about 10 minutes after my group had gone through. I flew home on Wednesday afternoon in the company of my brother-in-law, as I was not allowed to fly alone.  Barb got the job of towing the trailer and bike back from Hanmer, which she did over Monday/Tuesday.  She dropped the bike off at Experience so we are now waiting the assessor to do his thing.  It looks as though a few new panels and front forks/handle bars and a new bike suit and helmet for me.I may be down but not out - not yet anyway

David
    Participant

Good to see you back, I know there's no keeping you down  😀

Jim Young
    Participant

Good to see you are active Dean and hope you have a speedy recovery and take care of the shoulder as they can be very painfull.  🙂

Dave Ross

Good to see you posting again. Must have taken a while to hack this out with one hand. I am sorry to hear you weren't concious for the helicopter rider, that and the drugs are the highlight of any injury. Once they take your drugs, it's just a long hard slog to recovery. Get well soon!Maybe I should ask Henry for your damaged bike parts, before I'll know it I might be able to build myself another bike  👿 😉

Anonymous
    Inactive

C'mon Alex.Most guys who are familiar with the internet can easily use their computer with one hand.  Why should Dean be any different?DTY

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.