Home Forums General Discussion NZCMRR

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Just had a great weekend at the classic racing at Pukekohe, there was a hot BMW sidecar outfit that won all 3 sidecar races that I watched, incredible finishes with 3 of them crossing the line within .2 of a second in one race and .4 in another. There was also a solo BM that after bending valves (due to over reving) on the friday was raced again on saturday with borrowed Std. bits and was still competitive. The standard of the bikes in general was extremely high and some very good racing was to be enjoyed. 

Dave Ross

Did you take any photos, Steve? I  had a brief look on Sunday afternoon on the way back from the ride. It was very hot, too hot to do much walking around. I never crossed the bridge. Those races are a neat event, and we are lucky to have them. I soon put my earplugs back in, though.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I got photos of the solo BMW and sidecar.  I'll post them tonight.I talked to the solo rider for quite awhile about the racing classes.  Seems that 1976 is the newest a bike can be in his class.  It's very hard to be competitive against all the Nortons and BSA Rocket 3s.May have to take the little 750 off the road one day.  It told me it wants to be a 1000.DTY

Dave Ross

So you think we'll see you racing one of these days? 

Anonymous
    Inactive

I'd say definitely.  It's been my dream for years.  I might try racing the motard first.  It would take less to make it ready.3269212284_fb5e855d9a_b.jpg3269212182_b8a95c134d_b.jpg

Dave Ross

I love the look of an old boxer engine.Motards are probably more competitive, but your 75/5 is too nice to chop up for racing. Best to keep a lookout for another one. 😀

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dave another option for racing are the buckets or the pre 89, 82 etc. You can buy a bike for next to nothing, take it racing and if it goes down the road it doesn't hurt too much. A friend of mine runs the GPZ550 and I think he has 4 spare bikes that he cannibalises for parts. The spare bikes cost between nothing and $200.The advantage of the pre 89 to me is you can run a VFR400. it's pretty modern in terms of suspension and it doesn't cost a lot.Alternatively sidecars look like fun.

dave.valma
    Participant

Sorry Alex the only thing I forgot was my camera, I see a couple of photo's have been posted anyway, both bikes have 1000 or 1040cc barrels and both bottom ends are later than 76 so as to get the electronic ignition and the lighter clutch mechanism, what a great job these guys have done. The sidecar owner says he has very little maintenance to do between meetings as the motor is quite low tech.He did have problems earlier on when the motor was fitted with a (too) hot cam, it now has a less aggressive one which made all the difference. Kane did over rev the solo on Friday and bend a valve or 2. If anyone wants to build up a Classic BMW try Nick Ploeg as he has a wealth of all the necessary bits needed for not earth shattering prices.If any one has a spare high ratio diff 2.91-1 or 32/11 tooth the sidecar guy would be interested.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I posted some photos's on Flickr:http://www.flickr.com/photos/russell-carter/?donelayout=1That was a great event... I'll look forward to next years event

dave.valma
    Participant

Nice photo's Russell, would like to see a bit more of you exhaust setup though.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don't have any photos, but I'll find a camera and upload a photo this week. It's a stainless steel two into one. Makes it difficult to access the front of the engine. I might one day revert back to two single pipes – There is a fabricator down south somewhere advertising stainless steel exhausts for airheads at around $1000

Anonymous
    Inactive

There ya go… photos…. just like I said!

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

Pretty bike Russell, my intro to BMW was when a good mate brought an R100 back from Gernamy in the late 70s looked very similar except for the seat and the fact that it was 100.  He left it with me for a couple of weeks while he went to oz and I was hooked.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Malcolm,I sure do enjoy it, but still work needed before I'm satisfied... it's got Koni shocks but I'd like to upgrade to the gas Ikon shocks. I's also like to upgrade to progressive fork springs. The steering bearings need changing. I've replaced the front wheel (it was a recall), replaced clutch, rebuilt the front brakes and cylinder and carbs, changed the breather to reed type, put on a second horn, changed the engine seals, timing chain, points, etc. I'd like to replace the pipes to stock - but stainless pipes. And finally some fresh paint. Trouble is I'm married and my wife also has a list (she has a Yamaha SR250 that she's learning to ride), so it'll most likely take longer than I'd like.But I can't not ride it.Cheers

Tim BLAKE
    Participant

When I was rebuilding my R90S I needed new headers, crosspipe and mufflers. I considerered stainless but then found chinese replicas of BMW OEM pipes at a quarter of the price of BMW OEM or stainless. They are exact copies and so far I would rate the fit, quality of the chrome etc on a par with the BMW originals. I'm not too keen on the color stainless often goes so decided I would rather have the option of replacing the whole set up four times than go for the stainless. I must say I don't regret my decision so it is an option well worth considering. I can let you have more details if you are interested.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.