Home Forums Members NZ visit was GREAT!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey all, Just returned hours ago from NZ and it was wonderful. Except I did nine days in a box. But the last four day on a KEA rental. Wonderful people to deal with in Christchurch, esp Sonja and Dan. Had a F650GS.Rode 500+K/M in three days. Akaroa was beautiful. Except for the RAIN on Friday in Christchurch. Oh well weather happens. Frosty on Saturday morning, but still rode almost to Arthur’s Pass early AM until we hit the fog and frosty rodes. Will follow up with some photos and once again I [we] can’t wait to return. Maybe next time some of us can meet up. Did stop by Experience and Canterbury. Great people and very helpful. Ride safe and long. When in Maine, please call or stop by. I love NZ. Jim Fisk

Xan
    Participant

It is good to hear that you enjoyed riding NZ 😀

It is getting a bit cool. I personaly think that February is the best month to ride South Island.
    I love riding South Island, too. I've ridden South Island three times but I will go back again.

Brian
    Participant

And after reading about your current weather, I guess I was lucky to ride at all. Brrrrrr!!!!

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

I would have liked to meet you, but the timing for us was all wrong. Maybe next time. How about writing a report for us about one of your local rides. I’d love to see some Maine scenery.

Brian
    Participant

I would be glad to write some lines about our rides. I am off this weekend to a rally in Connecticut, but will put the pen to work when I return.

Brian
    Participant

First of all ,you all are the best hosts and hostesses. My wife and I had a wonderful time in NZ and can’t wait to return. My riding was short but sweet, even if it was in a city. [Christchurch]

Wednesday, 10/05 we picked up a late model 650GS from KEA. Took an afternoon ride through Christchurch and then out to Sumner Head. Just beautiful to look at and tremendous surf from the Pacific that afternoon. Took the long way back to motel with all the working people!!!

Thursday, 11/05. We did manage to get to Akaroa. Leaving from the Burnside area of Christchurch at about 8:30,our morning started out in a light drizzle. After negotiating the rush hour traffic through the city on SH73 onto SH75 the suburbs and the country started to appear. And less traffic. And clearing skies. A riders dream. Winding our way along with just beautiful scenery unfolding in front of us we continued to be in awe of your country. We had seen the dramatic heights of Mt. Cook and the Southen Alps, but Banks Peninsula has its own beauty. Nice roads with twistys thrown in here and there, along with steep inclines and dramatic drops in elevation. After numerous stops for photos and oohs and aahs, we arrived in Akaroa. What a picture perfect little town. I can see why it is a popular weekend spot for the for residents of Christchurch. We both enjoyed tea and pasteries at a nice waterfront bakery. After strolling about we mounted up on our peppy 650GS. Sweet bike to riding on for these roads. For the road back to the city, we chose one that said scenic tourist route. Well we were tourists. Hell with tourists, that is a nice bike road. Full of twists and turns. And rises and falls. Once again beautiful overlooks towards Akaroa and the Pacific. After stopping again in Little River for tea and pastries[what can I say , I like to eat and tip a few handles when done for the day!!] we headed up the Gebbies Pass road. Once again nice roads filled with twistys and great views. And a giant wind turbine. One of the first in NZ I was told?!? We stopped at the Allandale Reserve for a bit to read about the local history and check our maps. I did have Peter Mitchell's "Great Escape" book along with us and I could see we heading for Governors Bay and the Lyttleton area. Having been to Sumners Head the day before, I was wee bit familar with area. And the tunnel. This time through it I did take off the sunglasses. Much better visibility.This time after exiting the tunnel I used my sense of direction instead of following a map to get back to Burnside area. Christchurch is a pretty easy city navigate. But it is a city none the less.

12/05,Friday we awoke to a torrential rain. Didn't even try to convince my better half to ride. Took bus into city and did the cultural things. I did enjoy your museums and old buildings. By dinner time the skies had cleared and we rode off for our evening meal. It was cool but comfortable.

13/05 Saturday. Oh we have to head for home today. BUMMER!! But the bike doesn't have to be back till 1PM and we don't fly until 4PM. That will be enough time to ride to Arthurs Pass. After I scrape a HEAVY frost of our seat. Ivan our innkeeper, just stands there shaking his head in disblief, that we are actually going. He tells me I will be just as cool as that seat after about an hour of riding. I told him I will watch the roads carefully and turn the HEAT on HIGH!!! So off we go onto SH75 towards Arthurs Pass. And are the mountains ever coverd in snow. All the rain day before ended up as the white stuff in the higher elevations. But the sign in Springfield said all the roads were open and passable. Well we got just several kilometers beyond Porters Pass and into the clouds. Made a swipe on my face shield and it was FROSTY. Pulled to the side of the road and cupped some water with my riding boot and it didn't roll down the pavement to fast. I told my wife we didn't come all the way around the world to crash and burn. So even though we didn't get to the Pass, we tried. Maybe next time. Returning to KEA by 12:30 and turning the bike in, we still had ridden over 330K in just over two and a half days. I was just hungry for more. Arrgh. But my honey says when we come back,not if, she will take a car with all our gear and I can hopefully meet up with some BMWOR riders and REALLY see your country. I just salivate when I look at some of the photos posted by your members.

And lastly, if any of you ever come to Maine, any or all of you[just don't come all together if possible] have a place to bunk[we have big barn]. I do have an extra bike to lend. After the GS is fixed that is. I also have a "92 R100RS. After my wife was told they are airheads, so told me that was appropiate for me. Well I hope I didn't bore you too much with our travel tales and we can't wait to return!!!

Jim Young
    Participant

Great ride report and sorry I missed you when you were in Auckland, but never mind there is always next time, but come at a time better suited to riding, especially in the South Island !!!
    Or do winter riding in the north.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Jim’s photo website doesn’t allow linking to images, so I’ve moved them to photobucket. Here they are.

5e6fed61.jpg

c464a5bb.jpg

9ff98fd6.jpg

dd157601.jpg

1e1936f6.jpg

5503a6c7.jpg

a75a4bb3.jpg

4184742a.jpg

d1d03f0a.jpg

aefbca39.jpg

ec3e4ddd.jpg

c0e78b39.jpg

f0b50bf9.jpg

I am sure he'll be happy to explain any details if asked.

Thanks Jim, so images are great, it is always interesting to see what people in other countries are up to.

Cheers,
    Alex

Jim Young
    Participant

Great pics Jim, don’t think I could handle the snow though !!!

Brian
    Participant

Oh you haven’t seen snow. I will post some pics to Alex soon from two winters ago. Over 3m that year. Ugh!! And a long time between rides. Lots of wrenching though.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Got some snow photos from Jim, but have been too busy to put them up. Considering how cold it is around here at the moment they are very topical. That’s topical, not tropical 🙂
    14.jpg
    13.jpg
    12.jpg
    8.jpg
    7.jpg
    6.jpg
    5.jpg
    4.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.jpg

Jim Young
    Participant

Couldn’t handle that snow now Jim, I was in Portland Maine on an oiltanker more years ago than I care to remember and it was like that.
    A 36 hour discharge took over a week as it was too cold for the oil to flow through the pipes and the snow was piled up so high in the streets it was like walking through tunnels with an open roof.
    It was so cold in the engine room that there was snow piled up under all the ventilation ducts and we had snowball fights down there.

Brian
    Participant

I read almost daily online about your weather. Really strange to hear about how severe it has been. And it hasn’t been that way in a long time. Long time. Were you here in the early eighties Jim? We had some wicked storms around that time also. Just remember. It does melt. And your country probably doesn’t put down pant loads of slt on your roads like they do here. Not good at all for the scoots. And then in my neighborhood this past week have been having high temps[30c] and high humidity. Ugh. Keep the faith and come on spring!!! Cheers, Jim

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Hi Jim,
    just your name pop up under the new members list in the current newsletter.
    Welcome to the club, too bad your are too far wawy to be able to join any of the rides. I hope you are having a good riding season. We have had some wonderful weather during the last two weeks.

Cheers,
    Alex

Brian
    Participant

I will just try to plan my next trip around YOUR riding season. We too have finally had some great weather. I just can’t believe the weather on the South Island. We were only there six weeks ago. Cheers and stay in touch or better yet you know you are always welcome to come and ride here. i have extra bikes. Jim

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.