Home Forums General Discussion No naked bikers, but what do you think….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Now the club will no longer have monthly meetings attended by a group of members and will be managed by the executive alone, I wonder if they would consider speeding up communication with the national membership by using our web site as a means of communicating their discussions and plans for the future more immediately.    A comment was made at the AGM that some members had made “uninformed” comment regarding a particular issue.  It is important that the executive ensure we are informed regularly and in clear, unambiguous terms.I’m sure it would illicit much more comment from a wider group of members than we ever see by way of comment in the newsletter.  The president and his team are committed to making the club more accessible to the wider membership and I see this as an easy and effective way of doing so.Possibly an “Executive Business” link could be included on the site where we could be kept informed and offer opinion occasionally.  I would welcome your thoughts and will ask the Editor to print this in next months newsletter for those who do not contribute to this web site.

Dave Ross

Good idea, call it “Ask the President”, or something like that. He could even set up a poll for some feedback. This could be advertised in the newsletter and then people just pop in to vote. It wouldn't be binding of course, as everybody has an opinion, but not everybody is a member. However, the result is instantly visible.  It beats asking a few people you like here and there and call it feedback. Well, feedback you like is feedback, feedback you don't, now that's just stirring.  ;DTo bad we don't have a debate button, so Collin could do one of those. A poll, though, would be a start. All right, I'll stop dreaming, it will never happen.

Anonymous

It would be appropriate, perhaps, to have such a facility as part of http://bmwor.org.nz, but not, I venture on http://bmwor.org.nz/forumWe already provide the Executive with feedback on what the Forum users think: imagining they don't read our argumentifying is like truckies thinking the God Squad don't listen to their yabbering on CB.So the appropriate place (if at all) would be a secure part of the main website, so we are not displaying the minutiae of our bizzo to the world: is setting this up going to be another task for our Suzuki rider to do in his spare time? (He doesn't think so!)Or we could operate on trust, as do most clubs. When it becomes apparent that the trust is misplaced, then you vote the untrustworthy divvils out. The current Executive have consistently made noises about communication with Area Reps. My misgivings related to this path as a line of communication to the membership is that the information is being filtered through another set of ears and opinions between Bullshit Castle and individual members: the start of Chinese whispers, possibly, right there. And we have no shortage of Chinese whispers already, even when the Executive publish stuff, unambiguously, in quite good English, some members just don't "get it".My vote would (at present) be to leave things as they are, see how much information flows to us via the Newsletter, as it has in the past, if you lived anywhere but Auckland, or latterly Wellington and thereabouts, and see how we are getting on in a year's time.

Dave Ross

It would be appropriate, perhaps, to have such a facility as part of http://bmwor.org.nz, but not, I venture on http://bmwor.org.nz/forum

Yes, the forum could be too public for some issues, but not everything is controversial and and we are not talking the New Zealand Government here. As it is, the newsletter is on the web and that even has some financial accounts. We already know what it's like now, what do you think would change by leaving it like it is? But really, operate on trust?  🙂 I do that with people I've known for several years, otherwise, it's as far as I can throw them and I currently have tendonitis. In the past  people have complained about 25 people running the club from Auckland. Now we have a handful of people doing the same elsewhere. While some decisions just have to be made on the spot and others are so trivial that they are not worth talking about it, there are some things that would be worthwhile putting out there in good time. People can then poke it, prod it or run it up the flagpole to see if it waves. They can read about what others think and then make up their mind. Or, wait for Colin to do it for them. Ok, I am being a bit harsh and I don't really mistrust the Executive's good intentions. However, why wait for 4 weeks for one opinion, so you can read about the opposite view 4 weeks later? I don't have that sort of an attention span.....Oh, look a chicken.... yes, where were we?

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

It would be appropriate, perhaps, to have such a facility as part of http://bmwor.org.nz, but not, I venture on http://bmwor.org.nz/forum

I agree Bruce, very important.

So the appropriate place (if at all) would be a secure part of the main website, so we are not displaying the minutiae of our bizzo to the world: is setting this up going to be another task for our Suzuki rider to do in his spare time? (He doesn't think so!)

🙁 I assume it would be a job for the Web master so that would be a shame.  Let's see how it goes.

My vote would (at present) be to leave things as they are, see how much information flows to us via the Newsletter, as it has in the past, if you lived anywhere but Auckland, or latterly Wellington and thereabouts, and see how we are getting on in a year's time.

I regularly see comment in the newsletter suggesting we stop living in the past and move on, is this not a good opportunity to make a change which will benefit the members by keeping them up to date with the workings of the executive.

Anonymous

I agree Bruce, very important.

So the appropriate place (if at all) would be a secure part of the main website, so we are not displaying the minutiae of our bizzo to the world: is setting this up going to be another task for our Suzuki rider to do in his spare time? (He doesn't think so!)

🙁 I assume it would be a job for the Web master so that would be a shame.  Let's see how it goes.

My vote would (at present) be to leave things as they are, see how much information flows to us via the Newsletter, as it has in the past, if you lived anywhere but Auckland, or latterly Wellington and thereabouts, and see how we are getting on in a year's time.

I regularly see comment in the newsletter suggesting we stop living in the past and move on, is this not a good opportunity to make a change which will benefit the members by keeping them up to date with the workings of the executive.

Well, the Suzuki rider now has all the mechanism in place to provide "secure premium content" on our website. I had not looked at this thread in a long time, but fell over it again this morning. Another project I've been plodding away at for quite a while has, incidentally, given me the means to deliver the dream as per this thread: if required/desiredIt's things like this that keep the Register paying me the big salary....................

Dave Morris
    Participant

rumour has it your wages are going to double.  bet you can't wait

Anonymous

Jumping Jupiter, I'm already in trouble with the IRD.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.