Home Forums General Discussion News, reviews and articles about BMW bikes on the ‘net

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 160 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Sorry, Aslan, I won't be at the rally. For various reasons I'm only doing shorter, local one-day rides now. As I mentioned in another thread I'm doing more walks than rides these days in an attempt to keep a reasonable level of fitness. It was a hard-fought competition for the webmaster job, but I finally secured it after fending off all the other applicants.  8)I'll start another thread in an attempt to get some ideas and suggestions for increasing the activity levels on the forums, and to get better communication between members.-Arne

Anonymous

Sorry, Aslan, I won't be at the rally. For various reasons I'm only doing shorter, local one-day rides now. As I mentioned in another thread I'm doing more walks than rides these days in an attempt to keep a reasonable level of fitness. It was a hard-fought competition for the webmaster job, but I finally secured it after fending off all the other applicants.  8)I'll start another thread in an attempt to get some ideas and suggestions for increasing the activity levels on the forums, and to get better communication between members.-Arne

Bwah! Hah! Hah! Hah! Hah! Hah! Hah! Hah! Hah!  😀 I got him when he was injured and too weak to run. I'm delighted to see all the Bee-em stuff Arne is posting: way too hard for this Suzuki Jock to maintain enough interest to go hunting down stuff to post. I don't even look at Suzy sites, let alone BMW.And I am enjoying the holiday. I've even managed to get back on the water in a kayak, which a lot more tolerable than sitting on a bike in protective gear now that summer has finally arrived - I have no idea where spring got to up here.Many thanks, Arne.

aegis4805
    Participant

Thanks to you both Arne for your current commitment and Bwucie for your prior commitment as Webmaster.Rightly or wrongly I do have a concern about sustainability of the Register (frankly I think the name is a turn off) and ability to attract younger 'blood' for the future.

Arne Rohde
    Participant

VisorDown has a first ride review by Roland Brown of the 2015 BMW S1000RR Sport. The conclusion: “BMW has certainly chosen the right moment for this update, which could well be enough to retain the S1000RR’s status as class yardstick. With the challengers’ launches imminent, it’s too soon to say. What’s for sure is that this revamped RR is a stunningly fast, sophisticated and useable machine that will be very hard to beat on either road or track.”The review can be found at: http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-first-rides/first-ride-bmw-s1000rr-review/26102.html

Arne Rohde
    Participant

Although not a fan of 'custom' bikes, I must admit there is something appealing about Larry Romestant's SpecialK flying bricks, as described and shown in an article on motorcycle.com. It can be found at:http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/bmw/larry-romestants-specialk-bmws.html012015-specialk-bmw-f.jpg

Arne Rohde
    Participant

It has been public knowledge for some time that BMW is planning to produce sub-500cc motorcycles in partnership with TVS Motors from India, starting this year. Now the first spy shots of what is reputed to be prototypes of the new models have started to appear. One article with a few photos can be found on motorcycle.com:http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/bmw/small-displacement-bmw-spied.html

Arne Rohde
    Participant
    GS helmet – tested in the toughest terrain

"At the autumn international motorcycle shows, BMW Motorrad introduced its new lightweight GS helmet, specifically designed for sports riding and featuring high-tech materials that make it extremely safe and robust, yet comfortable. Developed with off-road and adventure travel in mind, the helmet has already seen action in this year’s Dakar Rally, as it was the preferred choice of father and son pairing Simon and Llewelyn Pavey."That's the introduction to a BMW press release about the new GS adventure helmet. However, I haven't worked out how the article links work on the BMW news site, so to read the rest of the story go to http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/index.html and then click on the News menu item. This should bring up the latest 5 news items, including, at least for the time being, the story about the GS helmet.OK, here's a direct link to the story which includes some dirty pictures: http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/individual/news/2011/news.jsp?id=3725

Arne Rohde
    Participant
    BMWs on the grid for WSBK action in Phillip Island

"The 2015 eni FIM Superbike World Championship is just days away from its first showing and the riders have already been testing in Australia in preparation for the opening round. Among them are BMW S 1000 RR riders Sylvain Barrier, Imre Toth Jr. and Gabor Rizmayer."Read the full story at: http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/individual/news/2011/motorsport.jsp?id=3749

Arne Rohde
    Participant

Aaron Frank of Motorcyclist Online has had a BMW R1200GS on long-term test, and has written a number of short articles or updates about the experience. Apparently the latest one is the last. He has now done almost 10,000 miles on it, and is considering actually buying it instead of returning it to BMW. The update ends with ” BMW’s latest R1200GS —the original and now the most-evolved ADV, developed by the most on-point manufacturer in the modern motorcycle industry—is one of the best there is out of the box, and it’s only better after 10,000 miles.”Read the long-term test update (number 14) at: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/long-term-motorcycle-test-bmw-r1200gs-doin-timePrevious updates can be found using the search function on the site.

Arne Rohde
    Participant

Another article about RomeStant and the SpecialK Artisan BMWs, this time from Ultimate Motorcycling magazine. Read the article and see the photos at https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2015/02/27/teamwork-at-romestant-creator-of-specialk-artisan-bmws/

Arne Rohde
    Participant

Even the Stuff website has a review of the S1000R, written by Paul Owen. It can be found at:http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/bikes/66687429/superbike-roots-ensure-street-credThe positives: Multiple riding personalities permit BMW's first real sports- streetbike to be either fast and loose or tame and rider-friendly, best-equipped bike on NZ market at this money.The negatives: Drop-shadowed model graphics are so last century, false plastic bridgework linking the tank to the frame reminds of the old Suzuki GSX400 'Repulse'; over-firm saddle.I'm sure the main reasons for not buying the bike must be the drop-shadow graphics and the false plastic bridgework. I can't off-hand think of any more important factors in the decision to buy a bike or not.

aegis4805
    Participant

artig – I just want to pop up again and salute you for the energy with which you're seeking to make the BMWOR NZ Web Site a place to go to for matters BMW (bike) and presumably generate some dialogue among members and other aficionados of the BMW Moto MarqueI just read the long term test / review article concerning the R1200GS WC - thanks

Anonymous

Couldn't agree more, Aslan.What the Register now needs is an Editor with similar enthusiasm for the marque: the current clown has re-discovered cycling and kayaking and is all but over motorcycles. But if nobody with an interest in BMW is prepared to volunteer, what you see (probably tomorrow for most letterboxes) is what you get.

Arne Rohde
    Participant

Thanks, Aslan. It's good to know that someone is reading these and following the links. Anyone is welcome to add any other links to the thread, and to comment on any of the articles linked to. What did you think of the long-term review? I've looked at a few of the updates but haven't read all of them.I'm also hoping some of the forum members will provide reviews of their bikes. So far there's a promise of an S1000R review, but many more would be welcome.It's actually not a biggie finding these links. I subscribe to about 25 RSS feeds, and several of them are motorcycle related. Several other bike-related sites without RSS feeds are visited periodically. When something of interest crops up it's just a matter of copy and paste and adding a comment or two.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I'm also hoping some of the forum members will provide reviews of their bikes.

I'll do one on my GSA... 100k, I should have a fair idea, and I've just finished running it in  ;D

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 160 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.