Home Forums Ride Reports New Plymouth and back (loads of pics)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

I thought I'd get some pictures up and add the words later.Gerda and I were joined by our usual riding group on the first leg of the trip. Here we are having a little break in Pirongia. it is often better to have little breaks before any fatigue sets in.DSC02981.jpgIn Te Kuiti we had a leisurely lunch at Bosco's. This is also were we left the group to head onwards to New Plymouth.DSC02985.jpgA special intersection, my leg itched a bit when we stopped here, just north of Awakino.DSC02986.jpgI always stop in Mokau, it's a really special place and I would love to own a bach here.DSC02990.jpgAs we approached Mt Egmont it cleared up for us. Unfortunately this road stopped short of the target. If it doesn't say Egmont Rd, you will be turning around.DSC02992.jpgThis is my favourite shot. We are already inside the park.DSC02997.jpgThis one was taken from the same spot, look who is waiting patiently behind me.DSC02998.jpgThe mountain, photo taken by the visitors centre.DSC02999.jpgNew Plymouth waterfront. We had spent the night in a Youth Hostel, and to our surprise we were far from being the oldest people there. New Plymouth is a neat place. However, in the evenings they are trying to do their best impression of Queen street on a Saturday night. Loud exhausts do nothing for me.DSC03004.jpgIf you are looking for a place to eat in Stradford try the Collage Cafe. It's located in a courtyard opposite the tower. It has good food and a pleasant atmosphere. The information centre is right next door. They have a giant map of the region on the wall. The tower will entertain you with a performance of Romeo and Juliet on the hour.DSC03007.jpgThe start of the forgotten world highway. DSC03009.jpgDSC03011.jpgThe Whangamomona Hotel, it is the Metropolis in this part of the woods.DSC03013.jpgDSC03014.jpgWe even met a BMWOR member, who was kind enough to let his mate ride his brand new X-Challenge. Some people take friendship way to far :-).DSC03016.jpgSome little old lady watching the world go by. DSC03017.jpgRailroad bridge, WhangamomonaDSC03021.jpgBig sky, WhangamomonaDSC03022.jpgAmazing hills, it must be fun riding a train through here.DSC03023.jpgThe Hobbit tunnel, a shadow of its former self. Another waste of tax payer's money by sealing a perfectly good road.DSC03027-1.jpgThe scenery is just stunning.DSC03029.jpgDSC03030.jpgThat was it, we didn't take any photos on the way back. We covered about 600km on that day and pretty much a 1000km on the whole two day trip. It can easily be done a fine weekend.

Jim Young
    Participant

Nice pics Alex, looks like you had a ballΒ  πŸ˜€

Dave Ross

Yep, we loved it. Just a side note. Gerda's bike used 3.2 litres perk 100km and my bike used 5.3 litres per 100km. Compare that to my CX500 at about 7 litres per 100km. I try to ignore tyre wear, put otherwise the figures look really good. πŸ™„Oh my god, I just remembered Nash from Kiwirider making fun of the BMWOR website and accusing us of comparing fuel figures. At the time I thought what a wanker, but now I've actually done it :-). Oh well, no need to change my mind because of that :-).

Anonymous

i like you and Gerda weekend rides. Barb and I are going to do the same over the winter. I'm keeping the touring bike πŸ™„

Dave Ross

i like you and Gerda weekend rides. Barb and I are going to do the same over the winter. I'm keeping the touring bike πŸ™„

Good idea, it's just too much fun to do longer trips. The forgotten highway would have been a real pain in a car, it just goes on and on. To actually enjoy the road you would need to be alone in a sports car, otherwise the passenger would have his/her head in a bucket for most of trip.

peter.trub
    Participant

I have been fortunate enough to spend some of my misspent youth in that area and it is indeed amazing. Also having a neighbour who happens to be a train driver is good!!! Did you go from Stratford to Whanga or did you follow Junction rd out to Pohukura. There are a lot more tunnels out there you missed. All similar to the hobbits hole in construction. I recommend you have a look at Brewer Rd and Aotuhia. come down during the Rhodo festival as there is an amazing garden out there in the back blocks. I guess you need a hobby in a place like that. There is an interesting loop around thru Tututawa for the gravel brigade. Also the Moki Rd now goes right thru to TeHora. With a bit of a walk you can reach the Mt Damper Falls. If you stop at the TeHora tea rooms you will see a photo of these falls. They are worth the walk. Unfortunately the Mt Damper Rd appears to be closed so I have lost track of the set of falls that were by the road (hey my youth was a few days ago). Mt Damper Station was originally a land corp farm and they didn't take kindly to a group of heavily armed drunken city boys in an EIP Vauxhall shooting up there goats, but I have been there recently and they may have forgotton, I never asked.If you feel real keen there is a loop from the Uriti valley that comes out at Okoki. As you pass the red barn about halfway thru think of this piece of useless information. It is the second highest dwelling in Taranaki. The highest being the Stratford Mountain House,Glad you enjoyed the Naki, ya all keep coming back now ya hear πŸ˜€

Dave Ross

Himm, we made need to join up for a ride one day. Local knowledge can't be beaten. I was expecting more tunnels, but as you've written, they were elsewhere to be found. For a ride like that I would probably take the R80GS and make sure I'd get all the gravel roads down the west coast. This area is really fantastic. I have crossed Mt Dampner roughly three years ago. I have also heard got things about Kiwi road. It's good to have a reason to return.

peter.trub
    Participant

I believe there is in the region of 10 to 11 tunnels of that construction hidden in Taranaki. I can share the knowledge but having done most of the roads on a Kwaka GPZ and my R1100RS they are hard work on them!!! I may have to steal a GS on day and join you πŸ˜€

Dave Ross

I believe there is in the region of 10 to 11 tunnels of that construction hidden in Taranaki. I can share the knowledge but having done most of the roads on a Kwaka GPZ and my R1100RS they are hard work on them!!! I may have to steal a GS on day and join you πŸ˜€

I know what you mean, I did the Wanganui river road on a K75s after the grader had been through.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey Colin don't steel a GS buy one that way you don't have to keep looking over your shoulder 😐

2bjr
    Participant

Must say, was nice weather by the looks of it. I also did the “forgotton world highway” Was a nice ride. They was still working on the roads.Nice pictures.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.