Home Forums General Discussion New BMW superbike

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

bmwsportboxer.jpgBMW's 140bhp superbike will race at Le MansThis is the first official image of the Sportboxer and the closest thing to a Superbike BMW has ever built.The 140bhp, 195kg (fully-fuelled) Sportboxer is leading BMW’s assault on an all out, no compromises sports machine.This weekend it will be competing in one of the world’s toughest endurance races, the Le Mans 24-hour. On track the Sport Boxer will be up against Yamaha R1s, Suzuki GSX-R1000s and Honda Fireblades; no small feat for an air-cooled, twin-cylinder giving away the best part of 50bhp.The final production version of the Sport Boxer will be officially unveiled at the Paris Motorcycle Show in September, it is predicted the bike will cost £12,000 when it hits the showrooms in 2008.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Cool looking bike. I hope my back will feel a lot better by 2008, so I can take it for a spin 🙂

Anonymous

Me too. It looks like a great toy. The light weight of the bike should kill the k1200 on the track.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Me too. It looks like a great toy. The light weight of the bike should kill the k1200 on the track.

I wouldn't know, I have never been on a track. It will  be interesting to see how well it will do at Le Mans. That will depend a lot on reliability and on who will ride it. I enjoy watching the racing, but in the real world I prefer more comfortable bikes. It would make a great toy though.

Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Inactive

If anyone is going to be in Taupo tomorrow (Fri 20th April), I will be taking the big K1200R around the track at the best speeds I can manage.  Come watch me outbrake R1s and Aprillas in the straights, and then get my butt waxed in the tight stuff!!It'll be fun!Dave

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Are just going for the day?

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Dean, do you have a source for that photo? I am amazed that they've kept the telelever front end. People have always commented on how it is not the ultimate for racing. Good on them.

Anonymous

Dean, do you have a source for that photo? I am amazed that they've kept the telelever front end. People have always commented on how it is not the ultimate for racing. Good on them.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222427

Anonymous
    Inactive

Alex-Yes, it's a track day hosted by http://www.motott.co.nz/Scrutineering is at 9am, bikes usually hit the track 10:15 - 10:30 and it goes until 4:30pmIt doesn't cost anything to watch, you just drive in like you own the place and wander around in the pits!Dave

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Enjoy your day Dave. Looks like I won't be going anywhere tomorrow. I am stuck in Valve-Adjustment-Hell, Gerda's F650 is in pieces and I can't get to the damn cam chain tensioner.  I am going to be in the poop, if I don't have the bike running by Saturday.

Anonymous

For years I thought the R1100S was so ugly I had to have one, 'cos it would match me for looks. Finally bought one (many years after my body, eyesight and reaction speed could really handle it), and love it as much as all my previous truly ugly bikes, like the K100LT, GS650G Katana etc, and thought that wuz gunna be my last bike for life. Next planned change was gunna be to a super scoot like the librarian's Burgman, making allowance for arthritis and so on.BUT! Boy, is that mother UGLY!The photo is going up on the wall, labelled "Bruce's future scoot" over the less-faded spot in the wallpaper where the R1100S photo was for years.Isn't it LUVVERLY?

2bjr
    Participant

Must say, not bad. Any other colours?   😉But looking at the picture, the black is not to bad also. Coming to the country when 😕

Robin
    Participant

Now that is something else! My lotto was going to get me a R1200S, but now I have to re-evaluate the situation.Like the saying goes, "...if it looks fast, it is fast!' When will it end? BMW have been surprising us since the launch of the first 1200, (not counting the Cruiser [good ole Cruiser!] ) and still they keep coming...... .

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.