Home Forums General Discussion New ACC Levies

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

"we have enough retired persons...."   Sorry mate, we won't be around; we all have to sell up now.

I don't know, you retired persons are hangin' around longer and longer.  Tony and Dick, are you going to sell and "downgrade" to something you can afford on a pension?Tony Honda!blade110R.jpgAnd the only 125cc BMW for Dickz14-c1-family-web.jpg

Dave Morris
    Participant

well I am doing big milage so only feel obliged to payReading Date Source or reason Usage (avg), /day/year 15,767 2009, July 28th WOF inspection 1.24/452 15,490 2008, December 17th WOF inspection 0.67/243 15,482 2008, December 5th WOF inspection 0.12/43 15,460 2008, May 31st WOF inspection 0.86/312 15,454 2008, May 24th WOF inspection odometer decrease -99,200.00 114,654 2007, October 15th WOF inspection 10.49/3,819 110,584 2006, September 22nd WOF inspection 1.86/676

Anonymous
    Inactive

I do, however, like your remark about the high fees helping to rid the road of squids.The Squid Rid Levy!

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Won't work, I'll keep on riding 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ummm, if a person rides their bike stupidly in contravention of the law, if they ride without rego or on the farm/beach/whatever, how is the rise in ACC levies going to stop them?  They already don't care as they don't pay.  This is only going to affect law abiding people…like me.  All I read about is people considering taking their bikes off the road or selling them.  That'll leave NZ swarming with wee little bikes and they'll get levied harder - heck, seems to have worked OK with the big bike mob (those within the law, anyway) as they just grumbled a bit.  Big bikes will end up on eBay and heading off overseas except for those owned by some gang member who don't care for the laws and are relatively immune from prosecution.If this comes to pass, motorcycling in New Zealand will die, simple as that.  Sure, some rich sods will ride their bikes - hey, they don't care, they can afford it.  This is not something I'd like as a legacy of my generation.  As for safety - I didn't read anything about the age increasing so kids don't get behind the wheel of a car.  Nor did I read anything about compulsary insurance based on their age adn experience.  No, I read that a 15 year old will only have to pay less than a $100 a year more for his/her car.  That safe?  Oh, wait - they said that new cars will be levied less.  WTF??  Why do we go through two checks a year on the safety of our cars/bikes (not mopeds...) then if they are deemed unsafe?This really annoys me.  Motorcycling should be encouraged as a viable alternative to cars.  People with bikes should try to at least raise a coordinated complaint.  Isn't that was motorcycle clubs are also meant to do?  Promote safe riding and protect the members against unfair legislation to the best of their ability?

Anonymous

Well there is a fair bit of spleen venting in comments above but little talk of cosntructive actionThe proposed levies are grossly unbalanced, punitive towards motorcyclists and probably run counter to the principle of no fault/ blame. Trying to extract huge premiums from a small group usually the victim of a manic poorly trained driver with an attitude problems strikes me as fatally flawed - putting the premium on all vehicles up 20% would net a bucket load more money than trying to sting 40,000 motocyclists for hundreds.  Nick Smith has his head up his rectum. Is any one aware of any organised lobbying to tackle this - if so we should get on  and support it.If not we should work out what we can start.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, It's called BRONZ.  Attend their meeting next Wednesday night.http://www.bronz.org.nz/

Clive Lawrence
    Participant

Great to see so many comments.. and yep if we had a good rider and driver education system in NZ then we may not be in this situation.I don't like the idea of raising the driving age, as the old question pops into mind; how old were you when you got your licence??If we actually had a rider and driver trg scheme in place to teach people how to look out for other road users then we would not be in this argument.I look forward to the upcoming adventure trg in Auckland in a couple of weeks. At least it should make me safer.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

As someone has already suggested, it's probably a good idea if we make and send an official BMWOR submission as well. Since the AGM is on this weekend it will surely be mentioned there. As a matter of fact, people will probably have to be told not to rant on about this. If the executive can come up with a suitable wording, we can all use it and pass it on to the ACC. It would have to be a constructive submission. Since we don't have the figures and are likely never to get the real figures, this will be a difficult thing to do. My main objection is the arbitrary nature of the levy structure and its unfairness. ACC will need to come up with something better than that, and I bet they know that as well. They have certainly stirred the nest and are probably now sitting back to see what the response will be. Or maybe I am just giving them too much credit.Please do attend the BRONZ meeting, if you can.

Campbell Thomson
    Participant

It wouldn't be fair to make you pay.

get ya tongue outta ya cheek Steve

Anonymous
    Inactive

DaveGS"I don't like the idea of raising the driving age, as the old question pops into mind; how old were you when you got your licence??"I was 19 when I got my car license.  We start at 17 in the UK...I was a bit late as there was no real need to have a license.  Bike I got in my 30s - with CBT etc, etc, etc it was an expensive proposition to get a bike license there.Besides, how we got our stuff is irrelevant to the next generations - times change.  I'm betting your father couldn't enjoy a pint until he was 21 or so and then he had to knock it back before 6pm....I personally would not like to return to that!  I can't see how safety is touted when there are hideously unsafe practises allowed to carry on.  15 year olds in cars can't be safe - especially as there is no constraint on the car they can buy other than affording it.  In the UK, there was no way I could afford anything more exotic than an old Allegro (1.3 Super Estate - cool car...) because insurance was high, high, high.If the ACC levies could be done as insurance, there would be less of a problem.  One size does not fit all - they have to be tailored to fit.  This is the 21st century, the technology is there to make it fit.

Mark Williams
    Participant

If this legislation is brought about because motorcycles are unsafe, I wonder then if there is a case for Transit and Councils to make their roads more conducive for us on two wheels; bicycles included  For instance non-slip white paint, glue some grit on metal joins in motorways as they are like oil when wet, remove most of the arrows at intersections and get rid of the shiny tar bled surfaces.  I read somewhere, I am trying to find the reference, that the Insurance Council of America, commented that bikes with ABS were 32% safer than those without.  How they measured that I don't know.  I agree with those who recommended the levy should be based on HP.Cheers

Anonymous

I read somewhere, I am trying to find the reference, that the Insurance Council of America, commented that bikes with ABS were 32% safer than those without.  How they measured that I don't know.   I agree with those who recommended the levy should be based on HP.Cheers

No way it should be based on HP only CC ratings. If you have ever tested an ABS bike against a non ABS you will see why they come up with the 32% safer bike. I believe the braking is more than 50% better on an ABS bike. I know this because I own both.

janejohnstewart
    Participant

A mate of mine has just flagged this issue up to me as I’ll be returning to NZ from Oz in the near future.DTY raised the point earlier about the rego fees on this side of the ditch, however what he didn’t point out is that across here Third Party Issuance is mandatory, as it is in the UK where I originally hail from.The effect of the compulsory insurance in the UK is that the spotty little oiks cannot afford to insure Impreza WRX’s, or ride GSXR’s because the insurance companies know high powered vehicles and adolescence are a bad combination.  It also means it is the rider or driver that attracts the premium rather than the vehicle so if you drive or ride responsibly your premiums go down, whereas if you act like an idiot the premiums keep going up and up.Don’t get me wrong, I dislike insurance as much as, if not more than most, but in the UK insurance premiums are based on the likelihood of you causing a crash rather than being involved in one, and from memory incidents involving motorcycles are generally split 2/3 car divers, 1/3 motorcyclist’s fault.Therefore, rather than raising the ACC levy for the vulnerable, maybe it’s time to consider mandatory Third Party Insurance in NZ to cover the costs of damage to people and property caused by those who are at the root cause of the problem.  As has been pointed out already it will be interesting to see what the real effect of this change will be.  My money is on a reduction in the number of law abiding members of society riding motorcycles, and an increase in the number of people choosing to ride without rego or WoF.You will excuse me for stating the bleedin’ obvious, but I don’t see that this situation will reduce the number of ACC claims, or improve the ability of the ACC system to pay out on the claims that it receives.

Murray
    Participant

Great, lots of moaning and some chat going round of an organised protest ride to Parliament. I see that every day with one outfit or another shouting “What do we want?” … blah blah blah …, “When do we want it? …..”NOW!!” Made bugger all difference so far for most of them but I suppose a couple of thousand bike up parliament stepps would be something to watch.Put your hand up if you've ever made a submission on ACC levies in the past. Also, put your hands up if you've submitted on the  "Safer Roads" strategy document released recently by the Ministry of Transport. I've done both. Last time ACC levies were up for discussion I offered to coordinate a submission from BMWOR - no-one was interested propbably because the increases have been so incremental over the last decade or so.BRONZ doesn't have a presence in Wellington, where most of the legislative work takes place. There's a real opportunity to get in front of the policy makers down here. I put my hand up once to co-ordinate things for them - stony silence from that end.What we should be doing is llobbing against the notion that ACC be moved to a fully funded model in the first place. It goes totally against the intent of the ACC fund as it was originalllty implemented. Instead people are worrying about mucking around with proposed legislation to move the date out under which that fully funded model must be in place, alothough it appears the Dr Smith is not getting to much support from his coalition partners for this anyway. Not selling my HP2 either, in case you're wondering.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.