Home Forums General Discussion New ACC Levies

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

Does someone know where the stats are. It seems besides protesting this is going to need a reasoned argument if there is one?I can't spend time on this till mid next week and from there this does need time and does need riders to step up to protest in writing and perhaps in person.(perhaps transit should be levied for the state of the roads...lol)- I own a number of bikes. I'll be putting more on hold.- To pull out motorcycles on stats because you can seems unfair. - Most motorcycle riders own cars.- Most people with sport injuries don't ride motorbikes, should that be billed to cars.What I'm interested in with the stats is the;- % of at fault injuries to road registered riders.- % of off road riders injuries that would actually fall under car rego's as the bikes aren't road registered.- % of scooter injuries.- my hope is the statistics aren't defined enough to actually target motorcycle riders in this way.- I'm interested in the collection sources for revenue for ACC. Is it just wages employment function, vehicles, truck, car, motorcycle etc. If that is the case then there are huge gaps in fair user pays. - Ultimately we need to pull something out of the stats although on the face of it this seems a case of unfair targeting.I haven't had one ACC claim and yet I have friends who have sport injuries that drive cars that have a string of them. If these motorcycle injuries are for road registered riders only and at fault claims then it'll be protest on the basis of motorcycle riders owning cars and more than one bike.As for the fire about the over 600cc rate. It's not a hell of a lot more then the under 600cc rate. If I had to choose between a 600cc bike and a bigger one. I'd go for the bigger one. I can't be bothered with doing touring now and again on a 600cc bike.So who knows where the stats sources are. I'm off to the rusty and can't check it out before Tuesday at best. I do want to have a good read.It seems to me that all of the motorcycle clubs need to communicate with each other and we  need to pool resources and ideas.So I'm after;- the stats- the ACC revenue sourcesAnyone?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think ACC have under estimated the number of bikes that will have rego put on hold.I'm looking forward to the creative solutions;- Own a 600cc bike and a bigger one. Put a 600cc sticker on the bigger bike and move the plate across.- Ride with the rego on hold.- Ride the 600 most of the time.I can see police check points pulling over all the big bikes.__________________And on a more serious note;- should the threshold be moved.- many riders do it as a hobby or sport and as such it is unfairly targeting this sport when other hobby/sports are not targeted.It may be useful to have stats from riders so that would be a detailed rider survey once we've been through the stats and figured out what we need to argue.If the stats lack detail are we able to go through the supporting data by communicating with ACC to establish a more refined set of stats.And who is interested in putting time and energy into this with the view of establishing a formal path forward.I'd be in.Can we have part of the forum for logging up stats and communicating as opposed to just the general chat.Or do a group of you want to communicate around this and how do we do that?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I did some enquiries this morning for some comparison to our cousins across the ditch (all 1-year regos):SA (over 660cc)  $498NSW (over 300cc) $443QLD (all displacements) $352VIC (xxx? cc) $550SA, NSW, QLD each contain a Compulsory Third Party Insurance (CTP), VIC's costs were estimated from an online calculator and didn't provide a breakdown.  I used the rego from an HP2 I found online.At any rate, the new NZ fees look excessive.DTY

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey DesIn order to be the largest, strongest unified voice we can be, how about joining the BRONZ movement to fighting these increases?  They're having a meeting 21 Oct in Penrose.http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=109889&highlight=ACC

Mark Williams
    Participant

It's my contention that it's only 5% of bike riders and car drivers that cause all the problems. Why can't the rider who causes the problem pay.  For the the cars that have caused me most grief, they could pay if the evasive tactics were not used. Riding out of Wellington last night the weather was diabolical.  I was in the company of two other bikes as we negotiated poor visibility and driving rain.  An HD with ape hangers roared pasted us all and headed off between the cars, we were all doing about 90 kms.  I guess we all pay for his risky behaviour.  One size fits all never works.

Campbell Thomson
    Participant

What ACC are not saying I believe  is that there is a Central Govt (hidden)  agenda to rid NZ roads of motorcycles and taxing us off the road is the way to do it they believe, so we must continue and fight the mongrels also what is interesting is that motorcycle accident statistic’s do not show a true and accurate record of what vehicles are involved in accident , some time ago I saw statistics that showed  unregistered farm bikes and 4 wheelers used in farming operations and unregistered motorcycles used in off-road sport where lumped in with all motorcycle accidents inflating the figures and inflating the costs to us. As some one has already pointed out car V’s bike accidents records are shown as a bike accident even if the car driver is at fault and also where a motorcycle has taken evasive action in avoiding another motorist who had caused a near collision and carried on but the poor motorcyclist has gone off the road and statistic’s record that as a single (bike) vehicle accident even if the other vehicle which is unscathed stops or not.Statistic’s lie and can be manipulated.Danny Crane Free up gun laws I say

Anonymous

All bikes fitted with ABS & ESA should only pay the lower rate and all others pay the top rate. 😀

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am hoping, as a club, that there is a loud enough voice to show powers that be that this is not a fair piece of legislation.Not as if my Ural M66, despite it's 650cc of Russian power, is ever going to worry the tiddlers on the streets of Auckland.I am also now wondering if it was worth importing an R50/2....

Clive Lawrence
    Participant

I've been talking to a few different people around and asked why aren't looking at the charge vs bhp of the bikes?It doesn't matter how large or small the cc rating is then.And those of us on small bhp yet big bikes are unfairly taxed.

Robin
    Participant

we have enough retired persons….”  Sorry mate, we won't be around; we all have to sell up now.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

"we have enough retired persons...."   Sorry mate, we won't be around; we all have to sell up now.

That's a fair enough point. This potential hike in rates will be the tipping point for a lot of people. The register might notice a difference. But lot of people enjoy cleaning and looking at their bikes and you don't need to register them to do that.I enjoy my bikes too much to let them go and I can't see Gerda giving up hers. Anyway, I'd have to buy a car, and I can do without those quite well.

Dave Morris
    Participant

to be fair I think they need to put it up more.This will rid the road of all the halfwits like the immature igits on kiwibiker whom appear to have the attitude I'm insured its ok if I crash. The insurance company will pay for my bike. This lot of idiots also seem to get injuries.Hopefully these figures dont count farm bike accidents cause the poor old farmers get taxed enough.Dont froget the off-road boys. This probably includes them in the stats even though they ride offroad and bikes not registered, most of those guys  work so pay tax.A HP figure would be unfair cause then the would not meet $$'s required so leave it the way it is.and the halfwits that have to helicoptered out with injuries. They should be made to have private insurance or pay the bill. igitsI just got a payrise so no problems paying it as far as I am concerned.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

It wouldn't be fair to make you pay.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.