Home Forums Ride Reports Nearly Traditional Waipu Pizza Barn

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

If anybody thought their tour leader was making even less sense than usual today, blame it on my migraine: I was a long way off 100%.  The bike was firing on both cylinders, but I definitely wasn't.Despite YoungJim's whining about weather north of the Harbour Bridge, the worst we struck was a bit of wet road.  (Jim used to always blame Dean for the weather, but I think that's an urban myth.  My belief is he's such a grumpy old fossil he has a personal wee rain cloud that follows him around wherever he goes.)  The route was utterly conventional going to lunch: SH16, Old North and Peak Roads, SH16 to a stretch at Wellsford (image courtesy of Rincewind's imaging sprite).

stretchresized.jpg

Thence to Kaiwaka, and one of my favourite short stretches of tar seal to Mangawhai (Jason and Kokopelli looming large in the Suzuki's mirrors), and on to Waipu.The Pizza Barn was the usual amazing act getting food up FAST: dunno what drugs the guys in the kitchen are on, but they work well!

The regular Register membersP5060014resized.jpgThe Secret Society Satellite Branch form a coven off to the side.P5060012resized.jpgAnd Rob's hat today?  The way his pizza was going south, musta stood for "Really into Cheese"P5060011resized.jpg

After lunch we split off into various individuals and mini-groups.  Alex and Gerda headed for Waipu Gorge (I shoulda gone with them, but the bike was fit, I wasn't).  Tony O' led the high-milers around the Oakleigh Loop, some just dashed for home and chores.  I led the rest back through Mangawhai to Orewa for the traditional after-match ice cream.I haven't tried to include everybody's name into this report: there were a lot of bikes, a few riders new to our group, we trust they enjoyed themselves.  As always with Auckland BMWOR the group's behaviour on the ride was excellent.  Ciao 4 now.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Was great to be amongst the GS brigade, so I guess it was no surprize the difference riding the fresh resealed between Mangawhai and Langs Beach, before getting to Waipu and on the way back. You see those caring GS pilots cleared the road and dumped it on the other side. Played hell with Foley's traction control, and my sence of chook chaser ownership. Another great day in Paradise. Sorry about that Malcolm  😀 Thanks to Suzi-Charged Brucie and Young Jim. Incidently, how many Jims were there, cause there was an awfully a lot of food came out for him?

Anonymous
    Inactive

As usual Bwucie, another great well organised ride with fine weather and good vittles….followed by a nicely presented ride report which included a moody sky shot from my i-phone thingy cool,,,,, I actually got a picture on the site…even if I didn't include it myself.I enjoyed the ride from Waipu back through to Mangawhi Heads, I almost forgot I had the luggage on the back and scraped the heel of my boot on a couple of the twistys,bit of a worry on a GS1150 to have got so low for that to happen,but then I guess two up with the rear under compression the bike must get a bit low to the deck on upsweeping left hand curves and downward right hand curves...all good fun though and well under control.A whole lot of  fun for two people for the price of a tank full of Z juice,two apairofteeths, a steakburger/Pizza and a couple of ice creams !!!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.