Home Forums Rides Calendar Motu Rd tame Adventure ride September 25 & 26

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Participant

This looks good.  Count me in.  I haven't been out that direction on the bike but I've done Waikaremoana in the 4WD.  I like to see as much as possible so I am up for the longer ride.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Excellent, this should be fun. I am looking forward to it already.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Would you guys prefer if I booked a room for the night, or just leave it up to chance? I am thinking we could stay at Matawai if we are running late, otherwise we could carry on towards Gisborne.

Nick Taber
    Participant

As I don't know the area, I am neutral – be good to fit in Gisborne though.  I don't mind paying a bit more for a place with decent food and a good bed.  Looking forward to it.

Nick Taber
    Participant

Alex, am I right in thinking this will mainly be metal and tar roads – no 42nd type stuff?  Just thinking of the 'baggage'.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Yep, no 42nd traverse stuff. There will be one or two small creeks to ride through. The larger one is the one you see Gerda riding through. It could be a little more challenging with a bit of rain. The Motu Rd has some slower sections, but nothing is challenging, just a little slower from the usual gravel road hooning. I'll use the 1150 with a dribag strapped to the seat. Tyres will be Anakees. To do the full loop with require a consistent pace, without too many stops along the way. We should probably leave 7.30 am from BP Papakura. Arrive in Opotiki 4 hours later for lunch. Then do the Motu, depending on how we go, we can do the short or the long version. Then we look for a place to spend the night. I think we'll decide on the day how far we'll go. I'll have a few accommodation options lined up.

Dave Morris
    Participant

Yep, no 42nd traverse stuff. There will be one or two small creeks to ride through. The larger one is the one you see Gerda riding through. It could be a little more challenging with a bit of rain. The Motu Rd has some slower sections, but nothing is challenging, just a little slower from the usual gravel road hooning. I'll use the 1150 with a dribag strapped to the seat. Tyres will be Anakees. To do the full loop with require a consistent pace, without too many stops along the way. We should probably leave 7.30 am from BP Papakura. Arrive in Opotiki 4 hours later for lunch. Then do the Motu, depending on how we go, we can do the short or the long version. Then we look for a place to spend the night. I think we'll decide on the day how far we'll go. I'll have a few accommodation options lined up.

hope ya not suggesting that clothes optional place AGAIN. its a bit cold for that and they seem to have  aproblem with extra gravity there..

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey – great offer Alex!  I'm in too. Luckily Richard K phoned me to alert me to this - as I have not been so good at trawling this part of the OR site! Need a new rear tyre, though. Henry saw it today (while my GS was getting it's new chain and sprockets c/o a BMW recall campaign), and he called it a 'slick' knobbly! Peter GS

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Super, I am pleased you are coming along. Would have asked you at the next meeting. Gerda's bike already has the new chain and sprockets. The bike's done over 25000km, so we're pretty happy getting a new set for nothing.

Nick Taber
    Participant

Yep, no 42nd traverse stuff. There will be one or two small creeks to ride through.

OK, I  prefer to use the panniers if there's no heavy track stuff involved.  I bought them, so I may as well use them.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Panniers will be fine. I may end up doing the same, might as well take some luxuries.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

A quick update. There are probably 6 of us going now. Henry P. and Tony O' will most likely join us. Should be a good ride.

Nick Taber
    Participant

Alex, are we starting from BP Papakura Saturday morning?  I wonder if there's any interest in getting part way down Friday pm?

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

My original plan was a Saturday morning meeting at 7am for a 7.30am departure. I would be happy to leave Friday afternoon at 2pm. We would be able to make it to Opotiki  that evening, followed by a stress free ride through the Motu. I'll email the other participants to find out what their thoughts are. They can of course respond here as well.The weather looks ok at the moment. rain-nzni-thumb-2010091818-126.gif

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Emails have been sent.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.