Home Forums General Discussion Melting Roads

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

We had 200km of this and worse on Friday. Secondary roads were the worst, but the main roads weren't much better. At one stage I saw a truck just tipping more stone chips on the already wet road, while moving at about 50km in traffic. The only cover he had was a second truck right behind.DSC06182.jpg

Robin
    Participant

I experienced some roads like this at the rally in Otago. Quite an experience. One time, I was worried about aquaplaning. Image the consequenses!

Brian TANNER
    Participant

I was just wondering today why NZ  tarseal is so crap and melts at temp under 30.  Saw it this weekend on the roads around Hastings and on the Wairoa road early January.  I have never seen this happen in South Africa at temps of 40 plus.  Bloody dangerous as it is often worst around corners.

Anonymous

May be Dave the Yank can tell us. I travel alot in other parts of the world and I have never seen such bad tar as in NZ. Even Australia is not this bad.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I found this over the Wairarapa got some fantastic slides going 😀 😀 😀 😀

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think the road toll is relevant to the quality of the roads, if as much effort was put into the road maintenance as there is to the revenue collection we would see a major reduction in the road tollLes

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

I think you've got a point there, Les. I've just talked to a German guy who took part in an organized tour. He told me an RT crashed on the slippery seal in the wet. The pillion is in hospital with an injured hand.We are know to expect the worst here, but often riders from overseas are not used to the treacherous conditions.  There are so many types of seals being used completely randomly. The make repairs with whatever they have available at the time. They rarely clean up properly. Quality control is non-existent it seems. If we complain they'll say that motorcycles are just too dangerous.I wonder where the buck stops on this one. Maybe we should start a campaign with stupid slogans "Melting tar kills" or "The softer the tar, the bigger the mess".  The government thinks they are working.

peter.trub
    Participant

I have just completed a short tour of Northland and I noticed that the temperature is a bit higher than here in Taranaki, Strangly the only tar that was melting was mainly on newly sealed or repaired road. Its a bit like the cheese cutters I fear, cheap and nasty. At present State Highway 3 is a mess with melting tar and grit as far as the bike can slide!! Just as well I brought a GS  😀

Anonymous
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.