Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk matching tyres

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I'm about to replace my rear tyre, should i also replace the front with a matching tyre?or is it ok to mix up brands etc?

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

I'm about to replace my rear tyre, should i also replace the front with a matching tyre?or is it ok to mix up brands etc?

On a road bike I would go with matching tyres. On my 1150 I've had Karoos and TKC80 and it didn't seem to matter all that much. Still for peace of mind I prefer matched tyres.

honeybear.2399
    Participant

Yes

Anonymous
    Inactive

Why?(the neighbours kids have been round - they've taught me alot)

Anonymous

Why?(the neighbours kids have been round - they've taught me alot)

😕

Anonymous
    Inactive

I meant, “why should you get matching tyres?” 

Xan
    Participant

I have had a different brand for front and rear many times, as the rear tyre worn out much faster than the front.I personally think that it is OK, as long as you get similar character of tyres.For example, if you have a super sport type tyre for the front but a touring type tyre for the rear, you won't be able to have smooth riding.I had a Racetec for the front and a M3 for the rear for my R1200ST.Both tyres are from Metzeler and super sport types but different models.I enjoyed the combination of those tyres.  🙂I had Dunlop + Pirelli or Michelin + Pirelli combination, too but I had no problems.(May be I'm not sensitive enough to feel the difference?  😳 )If you ride "hard", perhaps, you'd better get matching tyres, as that will maximise the outcome of tyres.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I've always had 'odd' tyres because of the irregular wear on front and back – apart from now! Never had problems.  A little off-topic (but not too much) is anyone using 'Dyna Beads', in their tyres?(http://www.bestrestproducts.com/celestia/products/dynabeads/)Their promotional literature says you get longer tyre life.

Anonymous

I have had a different brand for front and rear many times, as the rear tyre worn out much faster than the front.I personally think that it is OK, as long as you get similar character of tyres.For example, if you have a super sport type tyre for the front but a touring type tyre for the rear, you won't be able to have smooth riding.I had a Racetec for the front and a M3 for the rear for my R1200ST.Both tyres are from Metzeler and super sport types but different models.I enjoyed the combination of those tyres.  🙂I had Dunlop + Pirelli or Michelin + Pirelli combination, too but I had no problems.(May be I'm not sensitive enough to feel the difference?   😳 )If you ride "hard", perhaps, you'd better get matching tyres, as that will maximise the outcome of tyres.

Neko tyre manufactures advise you should never have miss match tires on your bike. I've seen you riding hard. 😉 I have never had miss matched tires on any of my bikes. Have you seen how much of your tyre is actually making contact with the road. You would have different grip from each tyre and it could just be when you are corning and leaning to your maximum experience the front or rear slip and you are in the ditch. You are all crazy riding with miss matched tires on the road.

honeybear.2399
    Participant

I use a sports attack on the front with a road attack on the rear on my R1100S  I feel the extra grip of a sports tyre on the front is worth having,  also both front and rear wear out at about the same time.  I always like to fit new ones at the same time.  But hay thats just what I like  No way would I ever fit tyres of a different make on each wheel.  Phil

Anonymous
    Inactive

I spent half an hour mining the depths of the internet for any good reason (apart from mixing cross with radial) that I should have matching brands of tyre on my bike.  There were quite a few tyre manufacturers' sites where, surprise surprise, they recommended getting matching tyres, but they would wouldn't they? They didn't offer anything concrete to back-up their claims, just said 'you should get matching tyres'.  I don't feel any the wiser.

honeybear.2399
    Participant

I spent half an hour mining the depths of the internet for any good reason (apart from mixing cross with radial) that I should have matching brands of tyre on my bike.  There were quite a few tyre manufacturers' sites where, surprise surprise, they recommended getting matching tyres, but they would wouldn't they? They didn't offer anything concrete to back-up their claims, just said 'you should get matching tyres'.  I don't feel any the wiser.

Don't you have a mind of your own?  why do you want to have miss matched tyers? to save a few bob? maybe?

Anonymous

Matching tyres = urban myth, for my money.From time to time (quite often, in fact) I haven't been able to buy a tyre to match the more than 50% one left on the bike, so I have ridden with mismatched tyres. Even on the infamous NZ250S, A.k.a. Fang, where I couldn't get a front tyre at all, so rode with a very soft Pirelli rear tyre fitted back to front instead.The wife's Burgman currently has the original Bridgestone still on the front, couldn't get a Bridgestone rear to match, it has a Pirelli on the back. You can ride those skinny little 12" wheels till the plastic bodywork scrapes.Yes, it does become more critical with the extra weight a Bloated Metal Whale carries, but if we were all that fanatical we would always change our tyres as a set, and never just buy one. Surely the half worn tyre you leave on your bike when you replace the worn out one will be just as hazardous as a mismatch? (Is in fact a mismatch!)I'm a cheap and nasty person, I'll go on riding my Bloated Metal Whale (and the Burgman) on worn or mismatched tyres if it suits my wallet.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I'm still waiting for some evidence….

honeybear.2399
    Participant

Sorry Alex. I was a bit rude. I am sure that as Bwucie says a good rider can ride on anything and get away with it.  The way I see it is if you do not have confidence in your choice of tyres, you probably will not ride as well as you could .  I'm sure we all ride for the enjoyment so if there is something about the way your bike is set up that you are not happy with,you will not enjoy riding so much.  Have you ever found how much better the bike goes, after you have spend a few hours cleaning it? It's all in the mind Regards Phil 😛

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.