Home Forums Ride Reports Malcolm’s trip to Pirongia Clydesdales.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

The day started unpropitiously for me when I pinged a young ?gentleman? stealing my helmet from outside the Golden Arches at Papakura.  His mates reckoned I should go easy on him because he was drunk – at 1/4 past 9 in the morning – and their reaction to my query as to why they weren't looking after their mate if that was the case was to give me the finger.  Right there, Mr Harawira, is where racial stereotyping tends to come from.Anyhoo, having overcome that hurdle, and Malcolm having turned up and given a ride briefing, fourteen bikes set out for Pirongia.P6120007-1.jpgThe weather was kind, and we made Pirongia dry.  Malcolm had a slight navigational oops where he apparently went looking for the "alternative" Pirongia Clydesdales: this led to a bit of hand-waving and explaining and self-justification, but we know the facts.P6120011-1.jpgWhile the great horses were the stars of the show, they weren't the only critters in the menagerie - some preferred their equines slightly smaller sized:P6120020-1.jpgMrs Red Baron had gentle words with Mr Red Baron, which wound up with her grabbing all their tucker, and Alex having to negotiate for crumbs.P6120015.jpgOur guest Harley-Boy, Peter, having smooched the horses (Pete's a horseman, used them for years as a shepherd, plays polo-crosse, and in fact used to work Clydesdales) fell in love with the carrot cake.  His favourite ice cream flavour is strawberry, too, big Harley poof!P6120014-1.jpgThe old saying is that nobody wants to talk about the elephant in the sitting room: how 'bout the donkey in the dining room?  It seemed to like Shah.P6120022-1.jpgSome of the riders left us early from Pirongia: GunnyRob (GS) and his brother Warren (on a Buell) left us to enjoy more kilometres on rare day on the bikes.  Campbell left to head home, and good thing, too, it's wannabe boy racers that give us a bad name.  I'm sure I'm not the only one jealous of his new scooter, the paint job alone is gorgeous.P6120019-1.jpgJust before we left mine host was washing a couple of the gees: you can see he's checking when one has its birthday, 'cos he's looking up its date...........P6120023.jpg(groan)Malcolm took the scenic route home, via Te Pahu, out towards Raglan (Richard Gard'ner went right to go straight home when we hit the Raglan road) then via Waingaro and 22, intending to go via the Tuakau Bridge to 40 Flavours at Pokeno.  I decided I needed my ice cream earlier, so from Glen Murray on I cast aside seemliness and good order, and attempted to get to the front from the back to hijack Malcolm's run and take us down Mercer Ferry Road to get to 40 Flavours quicker.  Jason followed on his Busa - excellent thought I, knowing I could rely on Jason to turn the pack into Mercer Ferry for me, and the smallest and least powerful vehicle on the run, the Librarian's AN250 BabyBurger wove through the pack with the biggest and most powerful, the GSXR1300 struggling to keep up ;D ;DWe all enjoyed our ice creams, and Malcolm forgave me for my hijack (but soon after I post this he will no doubt be one of several that serve me up to the Librarian for caning her scoot).  Most unfortunately, just before we departed Pokeno some stupid b###h that didn't look behind her backed into Shah's F800 and skittled it off the stand.  Fortunately it appears not to have damaged the bike, but it didn't help her case when she tried to have the brass arse to say it was Shah's fault. Malcolm made the point that he had done his twelve-months' worth for the club, and indeed he had.  If a couple of dozen people came up with a favourite run like that each year, it would make my job SOOOOOO easy.  Thank you much, Malcolm.

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

Thanks Bruce and all who joined us today, we have been wanting to see the Clydesdales for some time now and we were thrilled to have a good sized group and fine weather.  It has to be said that we (Jean and I) were a little disappointed with the venue, I'd always thought there were more horses and things to see, and although the cafe food and coffee was OK the wait was too much considering we had warned them a couple of hours  prior.  Nevertheless we had a good ride and we're now in the groove for our trip to Ohakune next weekend. Oh and by the way Bruce the other donkey was the one that missed the venue but donkeys aren't known for their eyesight eh.

Dave Morris
    Participant

I was watching the news last night and they had the biggest meeting of Clydesdale horses ever in New Zealand. Was somewhere way down sth and they mentioned horses had travelled from as far a feild as the Waikato. So that may explain why some horses were missing. http://www.clydesdale.org.nz/ads/centenaryinfo.pdf  so if you had a bit further south you would of seen more.NZ Clydesdale Society 100 Year Celebrations.  Hope this is OK and not counted an ad? just posting this on here incase there are some Clydesdale enthusiasts who haven't heard about this awesome event! Its 100 years since the first meeting of the NZ Society was held in Dunedin 1911. To celebrate the Society is holding its AGM in Dunedin.On Saturday 11th June will be a massive street parade through the center of Dunedin with Large Clydesdale Teams, Pairs, Singles as well as Inhand Stock. Teams are travelling from throughout NZ We wish o apoligise to the BMWOR od NZ as  some horses are travelling from Pirongiaso it promises to be a great once in a lifetime display. Theres a bit more info on facebook with more to come http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=183863211660262  thought Malcie would of been a bit more organised

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

thought Malcie would of been a bit more organised

Trust you to bring sex into the conversation Steve.

Jim Young
    Participant

Sounds like you all had a good time, I couldnt make it to see the Gee Gees due to the arrival of our 3rd Granddaughter at 0012hrs on Sunday morning.  ;D

Jim Young
    Participant

I see from you being on a reliable make of scooter Bwucie that the paddlers on the waka bringing you the hand forged and honed shims from the Fartherland must be running into some inclement weather, I hope you have put your registration on hold !!!!!  ::)

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

Sounds like you all had a good time, I couldnt make it to see the Gee Gees due to the arrival of our 3rd Granddaughter at 0012hrs on Sunday morning.   ;D

Congratulations Jim and Mrs. Jim.  Three of them eh, how do you spread yourselves about?

Anonymous

I see from you being on a reliable make of scooter Bwucie that the paddlers on the waka bringing you the hand forged and honed shims from the Fartherland must be running into some inclement weather, I hope you have put your registration on hold !!!!!   ::)

The Lufthansa or whatever waka has arrived, and I am told the final drive is now hunky dory.The plonkers at the shop where the bike is still a doorstop didn't bother to get a list of parts they needed for the clutch and input shaft during the long wait for the shims.  In fact I gather they didn't pull the gearbox until Thursday last week.  This is modern business efficiency.  I have booked the 250 scoot for the Whakatane run on the 26th, as it appears to me most unlikely my bike will be ready by then.  Don't get me started, YoungJim!I will only excuse your absence from the run yesterday when you present me with a note from your granddaughter 😀

Xan
    Participant

the Librarian's AN250 BabyBurger wove through the pack with the biggest and most powerful, the GSXR1300 struggling to keep up  ;D

When I saw that you were scooting around the corner, I thought that your scooter must be wearing slick tyres, as it was leaning so much  ;D

Anonymous
    Inactive

much appreciated to all those who came to my aid when me bike was knocked off its feet at pokeno that afternoon.  🙂the driver, who backed her toyota emina into it, must have freaked out when she saw 11 of us walking towards her because all she could say was: "where did it come from? didn't see it". never mind that i had parked there for at least 10 mins, and she was seen close to that van chatting with other people before that. not seeing a bright orange thingy, and then blamed me for "suddenly" parking there? not very nice at all.  ???many thanks Neko for the pix which digitally registered the ending of the incident as at 1527hrs thereabouts, and Bruce who "spoke" to the lady and another not-so-friendly gentleman on my behalf. yup, i've made a police report as suggested, Bruce. the sergeant at takapuna community police, Greg, was sympathetic indeed.anyway, the only damage was only a little scratch on the handle bar-end. the tough little machine took me home as though nothing happened.  ;D

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

That's good to hear Shah, it never ceases to amaze me how some will find the most amazing reasons for avoiding blame – “it's your fault, you shouldn't have parked there” is a classic.  

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.