Home Forums General Discussion Made in China

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Participant

If I could have it switched that would be ideal while a solution is found to the failure.

It should be possible to disable ABS on the F800 (or any other model) by ensuring the signals from the ABS sensors on each wheel are disabled. Move the ABS sensors away from the toothed discs. Remove the toothed discs. Or disconnect the wires from the ABS sensors. This should give a permanent ABS warning in the display, and disable ABS. I don't know if this will disable the servos on bikes with servo brakes, but it shouldn't. However, it is definitely not a procedure that I would recommend. I will continue to ride mine with ABS enabled, but disable it when riding on dirt roads (if I remember to do it).Since the fault (function, feature?) seems to arise most often on uneven downhill stretches I try not to use the rear brake at all when braking hard going downhill.

Jim Young
    Participant

I wouldn't get a dead cat either, they smell too much  🙄

Dave Ross

Am surised at the lack of protest to chinese BMWs. It appears value for money is no longer of interest.As Jeremy Clarkson would say, some people will buy a dead cat for as long it has got a BMW badge on it.Bet Steve B. wont get one.

I almost wrote something that might have offended people who like cats. But judging by what I keep finding around the house, the BMW badge is not the important part in the equation.

Anonymous

One of the worlds major problems is cheap knock off products. Tariffs should be put on all China made products.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The ABS failure occurs on level roads as well. It usually doesn't occur during hard braking but less.You can disconnect the sensor by unplugging it up the top under the plastic hump (where you used to find a gas tank).It is a procedure that is done and is on the F800 forum. I don't know what else happens as a result. So I leave mine on. I bought ABS so my thoughts are fix the ABS.The fault doesn't usually occur going down hill and of the half dozen times I've had it I've only been on a downhill once and not steep by any stretch of the imagination and not hard on the brakes. It's not the braking force or downhill that triggers this its the bump or dip in the road.I don't have a problem with product being produced in China I just think that the consequences are that you impact your own economy. I also think all product coming into the country should be tested at importer cost to avoid toxic paints etc coming in. When you walk into a $2.00 shop there's an interesting smell which is very strong and I would suspect a lot of the product is not safe. When you walk into the Korean or Japanese equivalent low cost shops that smell isn't there at all. This suggests to me the products are safer.I'm going to stay out of the economics discussions.

Arne Rohde
    Participant

OK Des, not having any personal experience of the problem, and not having read the threads relating to this on the F800riders forum, I have only a memory of what was written at length about the R1150RT brakes. And the ones I recall were downhill occurrences with hard braking.I used to think that the problem was lock-up of the rear wheel when it lost contact with the road momentarily. But thinking about it more, and with reports that it releases the front brake, perhaps the problem is to be found elsewhere. Detecting a skid on the rear wheel should release the rear brake only, not the front one or both brakes.If the rear wheel hits a bump or dip in the road that the front wheel does not, then the rear wheel would have to travel further than the front one. With the bike at a more or less constant speed, that would speed up the rear wheel rotation for a very short period. Perhaps the ABS software sees this as a relative slowing of the front wheel, and thus releases the brake to let it catch up with the rear wheel?If I were doing software development for BMW, I would put some code into the controller program that logs the wheel signals and the ABS responses within the last 10 seconds or so, and provide the test rider with a button press that would store the logs when the error occurs. With some intractable problems it's the best way to provide a full analysis of what exactly is happening. And hopefully pave the way to a solution.Arne

Dave Morris
    Participant

One of the worlds major problems is cheap knock off products. Tariffs should be put on all China made products.

who would want to pay haigher prices for crap

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Arne,There have been numerous at length discussions about what might and might not be happening. You're getting into detail that's posted over there. I'm past the trying to figure out what's happening thing.I think with the rear wheel slowing it means that it is likely to start sliding or has started sliding (loss of directional stability) or is lifting off the road (you're going over the barsd) in both cases having the front braking is not useful. Therefore you release the front until the rear gets back up to speed and then apply again. Okay my thoughts about that statement seemed logical to me. I don't know if what I wrote does.I love the look of your new bike especially parked out in the back roads. I'll have to come riding down some of those places with you.Cheers - Des

Anonymous

A lot of people do just look at Trade Me

Robert George
    Participant

hmmm, and there I was thinking I  was saved as I had left the f800 forum site because of the constant discussion around ABS only to find it here as well.I have an f800, I have ABS, I have had the ABS issue however I would also say it behaves  (in my instances) the way ABs is meant to. I left the 800 forum because the more I read about the issue  and the other constant issues plagueing the 800 the more paranoid I became of my bike failing at some stage. I have been lucky I suppose as I have had no issues with mine.After 3 days I learnt how to use the BMW indicators and it is now second nature.I dont have an issue with the mirrorsHave not had an EWS issueWas looking at a R1200R, but their forum site seems as affected as well with various niggles.May go buy a Sprint.. depending on what the forum looks like 😉

Anonymous
    Inactive

Same here, no ews problem, no indicator problem, I can hit all the switches fine including the horn first time. Its good to hear you've had no issues. When was your one made just out of curiosity.Cheers.

Dave Ross

I've never understood the problems some people have had with the BMW indicators, what could be more comfortable. Every time I ride Gerda's F650 I struggle with the indicators, especially with winter gloves on. My bike has been virtually trouble free for 90 000km. My rear wheel bearing has now reached the end of its life, but it still doesn't need immediate attention. I am looking forward to the next 90 000km, with the same bike.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.