Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk Looking for a loud horn

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Since I've started commuting on my bike I've realized that the horn is not really loud enough to wake up some of the drivers. I would apprecitate any suggestion to give my R1150GS the sound it deserves.

breig
    Participant

I have a 1150 RT, the twin horns (Standard ) is loud enough to scare birds,cats,old ladies at about 100 m. Even sleeping car drivers have no chance. Does the GS have twin standard or only a single?

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

The Gs only has a single horn, I need more noise.

Anonymous

The one thing above all else on the venereal (sorry, typo) venerable K100LT that I miss is the twin horns: the eleven-hundy ess only whimpers, too.Remember the old Morrie Minor type horns you could "tune" with a twitch of a screwdriver? You could tweak those things so they were only 2 or 3 Hz different, and they would "beat", which was capable of making infants fill their nappies in fright.My Bro-in-law (a.k.a. my little sister's mech-husband) fitted a car air horn to my sis's 600 Bandit: heaps of room to tuck the compressor in a bike's fairing, he reckons.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

An air horn you reckon? I would probably scare myself. would this be straight forward to install?

Anonymous

I will go and see him tomorrow and find out what is involved.  The Bro-in-law is sometimes a bit prone to thinking outside the box, but there's plenty of yahoos put them in their own cars, how different can a bike's electrics be? Watch this space.

Anonymous

I have a 1150 RT, the twin horns (Standard ) is loud enough to scare birds,cats,old ladies at about 100 m. Even sleeping car drivers have no chance. Does the GS have twin standard or only a single?

I have the same horn on my 1200RT, but 06 RT's on only have the single horn now.

Anonymous

I went, I looked, I had a see and a listen: bloody impressive noise on a bike. (Not as much as the guy who used to ride a Yamaha Midnight Special with a dive bottle strapped to the pillion driving a 750mm long truck horn, but still a good noise.)The mech-husband has taken a wire direct from the battery of the Suzuki (which he recommends, for reasons too obscure for me to fathom), through an inline fuse, to a solenoid before the compressor motor. The motor is earthed to the chassis. The wire from the switch to the existing horn is rerouted to the solenoid, which is earthed to the chassis. You push the button, loud noise ensues.Paul (the mech-husband) makes it sound easy, but he is a bloke with good handskills. For myself, I would give the job to my local auto sparky, if I felt it necessary to turn up my bike's volume. Personally I have only ever used the horn to toot goodbye to folk. When feeling threatened by other road users I am always concentrating so hard on defensive riding to keep myself out of their way that I don't have available brain capacity to hit the horn switch as well: statement of fact, not attempted humour. I'm always lost in admiration of drivers that are so skilled they can spare a thought for the horn along with all the other data processing and control inputs they need to make to avoid the ouch. In my world a horn is only a legal requirement for a WOF. My history shows, I guess, that I am less defensive than I oughta be on my push bike, 'cos that's what I'm on every time a cage driver tags me. Maybe I should put a dive bottle and truck horn on that: if the noise didn't help, the weight would slow me down to a speed where my skinny little brakes and skinny little tyres might stop me before pain commenced.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

I use the horn preemptively. I can ususally anticipate that they are about to do something stupid, so that's what the horn is for. If I am rushed I often indicate in anger, though somehow this doesn't seem to have the same impact. Is there a particular brand you can recommend? Bike electrics are a mystery to me so I will leave the installation of the wiring to someone who is familiar with this black art.

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

I purchased a Stebel Magnum from Nippy Norman Alex.  It puts out 136 dB which is loud but not pretty.  👿  I replaced the horn on my old RT with twin Bosch shell horns bought in Auckland which gave a great loud noise which was also reminiscent of the twin sound air horns – quite melodious.  I didn't want to fit two to the GS because of the wiring system which apparently can play up if you do the wrong things.

Murray
    Participant

I fitted out my old R80RT with air horns, easy once you find a spot to hide the compressor. Motomail use to sell twin horns with a tiny compressor uitable for bikes. Just plugged the exisitng horn wiring into it. Sounded like a freight train passing through, scared the shit out of anyone in a car within about 10 meters and excellent fun at pedestrian crossings  👿 I'd put a set on the Dakar if there was room.

honeybear.2399
    Participant

Hi Bwucie. Where is the horn button on the r1100 ? never bother to use horn on M/C so don't see what all the fuss is about, if someone gets my way I ride round them, it's worked for the last 52 years.  🙄  Phil

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

I prefer to wake people up. Some people are passengers in their own car, they get in and turn up at their destination; everything in between is a blurr to them. I make allowances for older people. 👿

Anonymous

Hear what ya saying, people sleeping at the wheel etc., but I'm on Phil's team: go round them, or stop before they smack me over. Great minds and R1100S riders think alike!

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

I haven't gone through anybody  yet 🙂 loud horns save lifes 🙂 Well, I did get close to a pedestrian who crossed stationary traffic, but neglected to look for bikes on the bus lane. I managed to stop, and I know there would have been no time to toot. However, I nice loud horn would alert people to the fact that they've intruded into my comfort zone and therefore increase their awarness of bikes. Kicking their door in would be peharbs be excessive, but a little toot is a public service.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.