Home Forums Rides Calendar King Country Adventure ride (Kiwibiker)

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Participant

How did you manage to get Gerda's new bike off her Alex ??????

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

She is a generous soul, anything to get me to go to work.

Murray
    Participant

She is a generous soul, anything to get me to go to work.

Bet that generosity does not extend to taking it across the 42nd Traverse  😀Get your clutch sorted!! It's going to be a good weekend  😎

Dave Morris
    Participant

clearly you need to change your mechanic.  👿

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

clearly you need to change your mechanic.  👿

🙄 😛

peter.trub
    Participant

AS a thought how long is it since you rode the bike Alex? When I was a lad (last week) single plate clutches had a habit of “Freezing” which basically meant they would not release. It usually occured if the vehicle had last been used on a wet day then left parked in humid conditions for extended periods (one to two weeks). Could also be caused by slight oil contamination on the plate (but I digress).Here is the fun part  😀 To free the clutch you could either tow the vehicle in low gear with the clutch disengaged (not really good on a bike) or put the vehicle into a high gear, hold the clutch in, hold the brakes and hit the starter.Is the end wall of your garage solid?  🙄

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

AS a thought how long is it since you rode the bike Alex? When I was a lad (last week) single plate clutches had a habit of "Freezing" which basically meant they would not release. It usually occured if the vehicle had last been used on a wet day then left parked in humid conditions for extended periods (one to two weeks). Could also be caused by slight oil contamination on the plate (but I digress).Here is the fun part  😀 To free the clutch you could either tow the vehicle in low gear with the clutch disengaged (not really good on a bike) or put the vehicle into a high gear, hold the clutch in, hold the brakes and hit the starter.Is the end wall of your garage solid?  🙄

The bike had been used regularly and the clutch had work up to the intersection, but was a little grabby at the first stop. I did the high gear push yesterday and even did the starter thing, on the main stand. I think the clutch has probably freed up again. I just haven't had time to reattach the lever, so I could check. However, I still need to know what caused the problem. I don't want it to happen half way up on Fisher's track. I'll pull the swing arm on Saturday to see if I can get the clutch rod out. If it looks fine, I will reassemble and ride it for a while. If it happens again, I'll have to take the tranny out, for a better look.On a more positive note, the R1150GS is back. The left valves have been reseated and the pinging is gone, as far as I could tell. All horses are present and accounted for, what a difference! The gutted cat has left the exhaust note a little deeper, with a little popping on the over run. I can live with that. Experience have done a good job on it, but have had a bit of bad luck on reassembly, causing them to waste a lot of time trying to find the fault. They were very fair and professional. I can only recommend these guys.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

I've just spent the day working on the R80GS. I had the transmission out again, but everything looked fine. The clutch rod was ok. The little barrel with the bearing showed signs of wear and its little housing had a slight step worn into the sidewall. The was a bit of gunk in the barrel housing. I assume that came from the barrel itself, as it must have been spinning inside the housing. As I had a new clutch cable I installed that on assembly.Well, everything is up and running again. The clutch lever takes more force to pull than it needed before, but it does its job. I guess I'll have to have a bit of faith in the clutch, while doing the 42nd again.  At least the clutch is grabbing regardless, so I can always shift clutchless if it happens again  :-D.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Well, I could write exactly the same as above. Only this time I have a new old clutch, and new old clutch rod with the old style throughout bearing. I am getting really quick at changing an airhead clutch  :-D. Let's hope this will be the end of this sorry saga.I'll need to change the fork oil and get a new rear tyre, then I am good to go. Are you still in, Haggis?

Murray
    Participant

Excellent, looking forward to this one  😀

Nick Taber
    Participant

I'll need to change the fork oil and get a new rear tyre, then I am good to go. Are you still in, Haggis?

Alex, Yes, I am still in.  Very much looking forward to it. 😀

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Hi Haggis,I've booked a cabin here:OTOROHANGA HOLIDAY PARKhttp://www.kiwiholidaypark.co.nzbillie@kiwiholidaypark.co.nzI have thought about the departure time a bit more, and I will probably try to get there before dark. I don't like riding at night, especially not on knobbies with the potential of rain. I will ring you tomorrow to confirm.Alex

Nick Taber
    Participant

OK Alex.  See you there. Peter

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.