Home Forums Ride Reports Kaipara Adventure Ride – getting there is half the fun

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Half the fun of getting to the Kaipara 2006 Adventure ride was the trip up and back for four of us from Wellington.Roger, Neil (Upshift) and I met last Thursday morning at John’s (4Skins) place in Plimmerton for coffee before heading off on the planned 6 day trip North.The day wasn’t too bad, a bit overcast but warmish. Our first diversion was a small gravel road running parallel to the main trunk line from the top of Airlie Road up to Pukerua Bay. That was it for the next 100-odd Ks though, a bit of a humdrum run up SH1 to Sanson for the first stop. Roger’s DRZ400 needed a bit of juice and we were feeling like another coffee about then. I can recommend the Church café for those passing through Sanson at any time, good food, and great coffee!KIF_0672.jpgWe had spotted a green van with a camera in the back further up the road from the cafe, which Roger promptly forgot about and pulled a stunning wheelie up the main drag. The only photo likely would have been of his chassis number. Sort of set the tone for the rest of the day really  😀Onwards to Wanganui, where it was time for the rest of us to take on the first load of gas. We then decided to head along the western side of the mighty Whanganui River, a nice twisty bit of tarseal past the motorcamp before heading into the Raorikia Scenic Reserve. The road surface changed to one of fine papa clay, reasonably firm and dry with superb traction. Was absolutely blown away with the tranquillity of this particular route, and it went on and on and on …… 😛 😛KIF_0674.jpgThere’s been a lot of storm devastation through here this year  🙁KIF_0676.jpgOnly stop though was at a major slip. Roger, being as he owns a number of diggers, got to chatting with the driver, so a nice time for the rest of us to have a break. Obligingly, the driver cut a track across the top of the slip and, with a bit of momentum, it was easy getting everyone over.KIF_0677.jpgMore of the same stunning road surface took us through the Haehaekupenga and Kauarapaoa Scenic Reserves right up to Te Tuhi Junction  :-D. KIF_0679.jpgAt this point Roger needed a bit of a hand getting his trousers off.KIF_0681.jpgSouthbound now, and down through Paparangi and Bushy Park on great gravel to the join the main road at Kai Iwi. A short cruise west through the townships of Waverley and Patera found us in Hawera for a stop at the local Suzuki dealer for coffee and a chinwag. We debated a gravel route north but the weather was looking decidedly disinterested in playing ball so we elected to head into Stratford for gas and a run up SH 43 to Whangamomona for the night’s stay.Nice piece of road this, not really for the faint hearted or those in a particular hurry, very narrow in places and one of the few roads in the country where you take serious notice of the cautionary signage recommending speeds of 15km at particular corners. Can be particularly treacherous in the rain, and a light smattering was starting make its presence felt on and off.It’s a heritage route and some worthwhile stopping points along the way. My family is from Douglas, so it seemed entirely relevant to stop at the old Farmers Co-Op building. KIF_0682.jpgFurther up the road at Te Wera is the abatorium, where there are some very old native species of trees planted, and labelled for those interested. A 10-minute walk around the loop track is very worthwhile – so we did.Arriving at the Whangamomona Pub topped of a decent day’s riding. Stu (Oscar) got in from the Waikato to join us for the rest of the trip within five minutes of us arriving. Good timing on his part, as it had just started raining. Couple of jars of Knights Dark (the Pub’s own brew) just the ticket before jumping into one of the best roast dinners I’ve had for some time. Joining us for the overnight stay were a dozen other motorcyclists on route to the Far North after some rally or another. It’s a popular place the Whangamomona pub.KIF_0683.jpgNext day dawned (yep, we were up that early due to the racket from the other group staying  :x) nice and clear although somewhat cooler, but the good thing was the rain was over and done with during the night. A cooked breakfast was part of the accommodation package (as was last night’s roast dinner – did I mention how good that was  :wink:) and was just right for a big day ahead. After packing up it was time to head north, some more twisty convoluted riding over the Kohuratahi Saddle and down into the 30K gravel section that traverses the Tangarakau Scenic Reserve. This would be one of the most brilliant roads in the country, dense and picturesque native bush, and bugger all traffic - completely “uncivilisedâ€?. KIF_0684.jpgKIF_0686.jpgIt’s also where we “lostâ€? Roger and Neil for a time. We’d stopped to check out a track that we’d planned to use to get across to Ahititi. It’s just after the main route from Tahora that takes you up to the Moki tunnel. As it happened the track was pretty much just a bog, so we gave it the flick and just as we are ready to turn around and go back a few Ks to the main route, Roger and Neil buggered off at a great rate of knots North towards Taumaranui. It was a nice day, and warm, so John, Stu and I thought we’d wait. After half an hour we drew a map, left a note under a rock by the bridge and decided to press on. They’d later catch up with us at Awakino, which was fortunate. What followed for us though was the most brilliant section of gravel skirting Mt Damper and taking us through to Kotare, where we joined the seal again for the run through to Ahitihi. KIF_0687.jpgKIF_0688.jpgJust further North is Tongaporutu, so we took the time to mosey across the farm and have a look at the Three Sisters. Fantastic views up and down the coast from the top of the hill.KIF_0689.jpgKIF_0691.jpgOnwards north, and through the township of Mokau. Been a while since I was up this way and first thing to notice is the old one-way bridge has gone. At the same time “theyâ€? have taken out the gorgeous twisty bit of road leading into Mokau, replaced now by one, easy right hand sweeper off the new two-lane bridge. Might be better for motorists but can’t help thinking there goes another piece of history consigned to the scrap heap in favour of progress.A quick stop at Awakino for a fill-up, and a short wait for Roger and Neil, and it’s time to get moving north, taking the scenic diversion along the Maunganui River Road, known further north as Mangatoa Road. This route travels through several reserves of native forest and a landscape largely forgotten by most modern-day Kiwis. There’s more seal on this route than I remember – but there’s still a lot of gravel!KIF_0694.jpgA short diversion out to Marakopa and a look through the tunnel was in order. KIF_0692.jpgKIF_0693.jpgWe met a guy on a GN250 – he’d got his license the week before - wearing sandshoes for boots but generally looking like he was having a bit of fun. He rode with us back to Kawhia for fish and chips. Although off the gravel, the ride from Te Anga to Kawhia is still pretty amazing, gorgeous and very twisty seal and just made for motorcycles.KIF_0695.jpgKawhia means an obligatory stop for fish and chips and the timing was just right, I was starving. So by the look of it, were Stu and John.KIF_0696.jpgThen it was time to hit the beach – literally. We ducked around behind the township and down onto the sand by the Maketu Pa. From there it was along the northern side of Kawhia Harbour – very soft sand but again, momentum is your friend – and out onto Ocean Beach where we hiked it up a few kilometres to Te Puia Springs. John manage to find an obliging family and borrowed a shovel to create his own little hot pool in order to take a dip. He was the only brave sole to do so though, there rest of us whimped out.KIF_0699.jpgFurther north the only way through was over some very slippery looking rocks, as the tide was higher than we thought. Unless we wanted to turn around and go all the way back to Kawhia, the only course of action was to give it a go. KIF_0700.jpgTurns out that traction wasn’t an issue and on we went - no drama. KIF_0701.jpgJust before Aotea, you exit the beach (otherwise you’d run headfirst into the Aotea Harbour) and this is where it got a bit tricky, very soft sand (almost quick) and it was just a case of throttle to the stop and keep going until you run out of revs. It was just enough to get over the brow of the hill and into the carpark, everyone safe and sound. From there it was back down to the main road (SH 31) and a left turn onto the gravel again to cover the run through to Raglan. Neil decided he needed a break and headed directly to Raglan while the rest of us elected to turn off at Te Mata for a run around Mt Karioi and a trip down to Ruapuke Beach. Very glad I did, because I got another shot at a sand dune, this time at the Southern end of Ruapuke. Once again, John’s words of wisdom “full throttle and keep it there until you get to the topâ€?. Pretty easy once you get the hang it and pretty soon were all down on the beach having a play at powerslides and the like. I’d almost forgot about the sign I’d seen on the way in – NO MOTORCYCLES. The only other life apparent on the beach though was a fur seal, and he didn’t seem to be too bothered by us. KIF_0702.jpgOff the beach at the northern end was easy – almost so that we went back for another go. Quick stop further up the coast at Te Toto Gorge for a look.KIF_0703.jpgKIF_0704.jpgThen down into Raglan town for a well-earned break and a drink. At this point John, Stu and Roger took of as they were staying at Stu’s place. Neil and I had a bit more time as we were staying in Raglan overnight at my Sister’s place. A hot shower, dinner and a bit of a natter and all too soon I was out like a light. Another bloody good day!Saturday – not an early rise today as we’re not meeting up with the others until 9:00ish just outside of Raglan. Cooked breakfast courtesy of little Sisters and we’re off. Weather not too bad but cloudy and not looking that promising. Plan is to head over to Port Waikato for lunch via gravel roads to the west of the main drag (SH 22) up to Pukekohe. Road out through Te Uku Landing is great, again there was way more seal than I remember but good fun all the same. We shot out through Ruakiwi and Te Akau taking the coast road pretty much all the way up to Limestone Downs. KIF_0706.jpgKIF_0705.jpgWe’d probably have had great views from the tall bits except for the misty shit we rode in for most of the morning. It was so bad and thick the goggles came off just so that I could see 2 feet in front of me. Was a great ride though, no traffic and good terrain where you could see something. We stopped for a little while in Port Waikato to down some hot coffee then headed off to Tuakau and onto our own individual stops in Auckland for a bit of a free afternoon.There is nothing to report about the ride home (other than to say we swapped Stu for Colin (Warewolf), as it really was cut short (just one day) and was just a series of main roads in the pissing rain for the most part – with a slight deviation at Mangaweka to take in the Rangiwahia – Ashurst route. I took one photo in the whole 8 hours.KIF_0709.jpgIt was a great ride up (and back) with these guys. We all met up in the middle for the Kaipara Adventure Ride on the Sunday – but that’s another story.

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

Great write up Garry, looks like you had a ball and covered some fabulous countryside.  Looking forward to the sequel  🙄

janejohnstewart
    Participant

Thank you for that Garry, I feel suitably shamed.You guys make a six day weekend out of the Kaipara adventure ride, and I couldn't even make the three hour ride south to show my face.Thanks for the great write up.John

Jim Young
    Participant

Yet another great write up Garry and thanks for taking the time and effort to do it.You guys certainly had a ball  😎

Dave Ross

Hi Garry, thanks for an excellent report. I had been wondering how you guys got on. Oscar did mention the group had a moment of flatulence at a certain intersection north of Awakino for me. I wish I had more time for riding. Been good to see you and the other guys again next time your up here we'll organize a bbq at my place.Cheers,Alex

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.