Home Forums General Discussion Is [i]this[/i] Road Sealed?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Broadly, between Taumarunui and Tasman Sea, is a road Regonial Highway 40. Settlements on route are Mangaparo, Ohura, Waitaanga, Kotare and Okau. Coming to the SH3 intersection at Ahititi.As I am on a Cruiser (R1200C), I don't want "...Forty Miles Of Bad Road."Travelling Monday 8 Feb.Thanks for advice.

Jim Young
    Participant

Last time I was down this road was about 20 years ago and it was sealed from Taumaranui to Ohura and the rest was gravel.Probably a state HW now  🙄 but I would imagine you will get lots of replies with more recent information

Murray
    Participant

It's all seal from Mangaparo to Ohura, and from Ohura to Ahititi.

peter.trub
    Participant

Definatly not sealed  😮 The road from Tamuranui to Ohura is sealed but across the Waitaanga's to Ahititi has a long section of gravel. No issue's on a GS as its well maintained metal  😀 As an alternative you could turn towards Whanga after you come off the River Rd and then go across the Moki Rd and Mount Damper. Joins back onto the Ohura/Ahititi Rd after the metal section. Moki Rd only has a short metal section.  😀

Robin
    Participant

Stayed at the Ohura State Prison Accomodation ( http://www.ohurastateprison.co.nz/index.php?id=1 ) and someone there had done the trip in the last week. I took the Forgotten H'way on that basis. Always a good route!Thanks to responses.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.