Home Forums Members intro

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • Author

“Blame the modern bikes for the small amount tech talk, there is not all that much that goes wrong with them. The letter boxes and old buildings are a result of the tours that we do. I can't change your perception, as this is unique to you.”Alex, the comments I made in my original post suggested that folks like me are always going to find it difficult to relate to owners of new/late model BMW's due to a fundamental difference in philosophy and outlook. Ironically, now you are expounding those differences and reinforcing the gulf that exists between owners of new/late model BMW's and those of us who restore/maintain older bikes.Alex, the sad thing is that my view is not as unique as you may think. I very much doubt that there will be folks restoring K1200S and R1200GS bikes in thirty years time. The K series was released almost 25 years ago, and there is very little interest in them from collectors/restorers/enthusiasts, and their current value reflects that. The K is regarded with some respect, but little passion. And that is how the rest of the current BMW range will be remembered too.Nick

Anonymous
    Inactive

WOW.  Bitter!Nice going Alex.  Way to alienate an otherwise cheerful, enthusiastic and open fellow rider!

Dave Morris
    Participant

hey Nick.ya can always hang out with that crusty semi crippled old bugger at Maungataroto who will out ride any person on a modern bike. Thats if he ant out on his boat of course. He or H always makes a bloody nice breakfast or lunch for unannounced visitors who turn up, even when they get him out of bed at 7.30am, and he is still cheerful. 😆P.S. if ya see him can u get him to finish off the bike in his shed that he is gunna sell me one day. 

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

Hi Nick, me again  🙂 since you were watching the site and eventually took the time to post, I guess you still retain an interest even if you don't get the specific contact you would like.  I'd venture to say that you are probably feeling that taking the time to air your feelings hasn't been quite as successful as you might have wished but clearly there is support for your predicament.  So just hang in there and watch the entertainment and keep riding the 90 s.  By the way we passed through Pokeno on Sunday and stopped for an icecream – we weren't the only ones… 😛Take care MalcolmPS there were four canine lickers, a Boxer at left hidden - and the Spaniel to the right  🙂

Anonymous

Steve B, The Maungatoroto Legend made an appearance here last weekend. We hosted a guy from an overseas R90S club, and several guys turned up to give our guest a Kiwi welcome (mostly past and present members of the BMWOR as it happens!). It was good to see Steve again. It was his first serious ride since his knee op. I'd better be careful what i say, 'cause he might be reading this, but he's one of the “bad crowd” I hang out with!Malcolm, I am involved in several overseas based forums and clubs, and the best ones seem to be the unmoderated ones where "the inmates run the asylum". I had a vague hope of finding a local forum that was relevant, and thought this one might be it. Yeah, I'll keep half and eye here, but you're right - not quite the response I'd expected. Never mind!Nick

honeybear.2399
    Participant

Quote “Wendy & I came to a lunch ride just over a year ago and were completely ignored, except for Peter Kurz and his wife who briefly said hello. Why would the Tuakau ride be any different” UnquoteNot sure that I should be replying to this thread, not being a member of the BMWOR, (but I do ride one)  Nick did you introduce yourself and Wendy ?    I do belong to  Ulysses and we do make every afford to welcome new people who come along on rides etc. But it is a two way thing, and I don"t think you can expect everyone to rush across to meet you, Just because you turn up.    Phil 🙁

Anonymous

Fair call, Phil, except that I had been a member of the register for 17 years, and had held various positions over the years I was involved. It had only been 2 1/2 years since my last attendance at a meeting. My bike was parked outside the entrance, impossible to miss by all but the blind. By contrast, if i park it anywhere whether for fuel or coffee or whatever, I invariably have complete strangers talk to me freely.I suspect that because my bike hadn't appeared in any recent BMW new model brochures or pricelists, the bunch attending that day didn't know what they were looking at.....As far as membership of the BMWOR is concerned, my understanding was that this was an open forum, and membership wasn't required. Correct me if I'm wrong.Nick

honeybear.2399
    Participant

NickYou are right this is an open forum, or else I would not be on it. I do however know how you feel on this, sometimes you just have to hang in there.    By the way  we in Ulysses don't give a dann what bike you ride or own, just having an interest in motor cycles, and being over 40. is all you need to join.  Phil

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Nick!!Saw your bike at the races today.  It looked great!  Probably only out-done (just) by the old toaster that was there.  Great stuff.  You should have tried to make it to the lunch ride in Tuakau.  Sandwiches bigger than your (air)head, I mean it!!Dave

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi NickDave's right about the sandwiches at Kaos in Tuakau. The BLT's are far too big for one person. When we arrived a lady had just left what we thought was a complete meal behind. Later on seeing the actual meal sizes it seems she left half a meal that would pass for a big meal at any of the local cafe's.As for Puke, it was great to see the older bikes and riders. Many of the race machines were in stunning condition. I bumped into John Maskell who is on the older side of 65 and he was buzzing having just come off the track. Now he's not a beemer guy but he loves to rebuild bikes. He'd just put a Yamaha XJ550 around the track that was in showroom condition. I'd seen the bike a few motnhs earlier in his dining room where the dining table had been pushed to one side and doubled as a work bench. Why work inside? well, it beats working in a cold garage. John showed me the before photo's and I have to say he had a poor specimen to start with. I even went back and visited him with my 8 year old son because characters like John are just so neat to meet. We even trundled off to a bedroom to meet a showroom condition Honda. The VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle) guys were at Puke with a big range of restored bikes. As a thank you for the display they got track time on their machines. John's bike looked like it had come off the showromm floor, had been riden to Puke then put around the track. For me a lot of these bikes were from my time of riding and it was great to see them again. It would be neat to rebuild one.It would have been great to see more BMW's there.Dave mentioned he'd like to be the two guys well into retirement we saw sitting under a canopy just enjoying a break before getting out on their machines again. These guys were posting some respectable times on some very old machines. (He'd like to be them when he's that age, he later restated.) Vince Sharpe was fair motoring on his CB750.All in all a great spectacle and atmosphere. Of the bikes that turned up at Tuakau around 2/3rds of them went over to Puke in the on and off rain, and just went back and forths admiring these old machines. You could stand just over the barrier from them as the green flag dropped and most took off, a couple spluttered for a few seconds before suddenly bursting into life and setting off to catch a field of bikes that had got the jump on them. What makes me laugh is there are a whole bunch of people that would think these guys were too old and stupid. But when you look at them and you see the likes of John maskell's face you realise these guys have got it right. Being on a bike is living. We all have bikes that do it for us and bikes that don't and era's of motorcycling that we're attached to for various reasons. Overall I appreciate bikes even the Tim Cameron stuff although I'd never buy a Tim Cameron bike. Tim's designs are phenominal.If anyone can post pictures of his bikes in production that would be appreciated but here's a link to the V-Rex.http://www.timcamerondesign.com.au/dream.htmand his V-R2 is coming.http://www.timcamerondesign.com.au/SPORT.htmor you can visit the homepage and filter from there.http://www.timcamerondesign.com.au/Nick I appreciated your comments about people not talking to new arrivees and that's something I think I'll be more mindful of in future. I'm only new to the club. Usually we just roll up talk to the people there, order lunch and take a seat and the people around you are the company you have for lunch. I don't think I've had a lunch I didn't enjoy or didn't learn something from.The BMW group are a great bunch although I do miss Bob Anderson, firstly because he moved to Te Anau and set up a bike friendly backpackers accommodation and secondly because he took all his bikes with him. I lost the chance to catch up with a guy who I could talk for hours with about bikes and lost bikes that I could ride from time to time. Generous guy Bob is. If anyone reading this is looking for accommodation in Te Anau don't go past Bob and Maxine's (Backpackers), you'll love it. Full workshop and inside parking for bikes. What more could you ask for. For me the spirit of motorcyclists is still there and I hope it always remains. I've already got rides booked for when I'm in Wellington next month. My only wish is that I could head down with two bikes, one road bike and one off-road.Now all I need is company on the way down and back....  and someone who'll loan me an off-road bike in Wellington...  anyone? oh and I'll need to ride with you as well because I have no idea where to go. Thanks.Thanks to all of you who organise rides anywhere, and thanks to those of you who come along. I've enjoyed the experience immensely.Regards - Des.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Interesting bikes Des.I like this oneLogoBLK8R.jpg

Anonymous
    Inactive

You'll also see his take on the BMW. The thing about these images is that Tim has drawn them up on CAD and they are ready to be built and will work. It's not just an artist impression.If you've seen pictures of Tim you'll understand why he gravitates to these bigger bikes. It's pretty amazing that he now has two bikes in production. __________________________NickI've been thinking about what you mentioned about the forum and you're right it isn't alive with activity and is pretty quiet. I'm on the F800 forum F800riders.org and there is a lot going on. We're passionate about the bike, there are a lot of little mods and tweaks being done. I think this bike will be remembered passionately by those of us who have owned it and will be restored with a passion in years to come. A few of us agreed that there isn't another current BMW that we would want to own. (ducks for cover just in case any other owners of current models read this). It's also been incredibly useful in sorting those little things that go wrong. I'm guessing there are a string of those other forums about such as advrider etc.I also spend a wee amount of time on the Kiwibiker forum (www.kiwibiker.co.nz - or http://www.kiwibiker.zyns.com for the faster switching version) Incredibly useful forum.It would be great to see more life in the BMWOR forum activity but I'd have to accept that I would be just as responsible for it being less active as the next person. There is a lot I want to do to my bike but I usually jump to F800riders.org first for F800 stuff. I have posted a few times for other things here and found some useful answers.I guess at the end of the day a community no matter where it exists is only as active as any of us make it. (so maybe I should post on here more!).Thanks for the comments and hopefully we'll bump into each other sometime.Cheers - Des

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

Quote “Alex, the sad thing is that my view is not as unique as you may think. I very much doubt that there will be folks restoring K1200S and R1200GS bikes in thirty years time. The K series was released almost 25 years ago, and there is very little interest in them from collectors/restorers/enthusiasts, and their current value reflects that. The K is regarded with some respect, but little passion. “Interesting comment Nick, have you seen the ad in this months newsletter? Jerro is looking for a K100 to restore  😉 There's life in the K yet and the RS was my particular favourite - especially the 1100 a sweet looking bike with loads of character.  I think we will see a resurgence in the K bikes, the K75 S is another which is a really sweet handling bike and  easy on the eye too.  We will see them again I'm sure. 😎Malcolm

Tony Russell
    Participant

I very much doubt that there will be folks restoring K1200S and R1200GS bikes in thirty years time.

Quote Piet Hein:"Its hard to predict - especially about the future...."I ride a n R1150RT, cover approx 25.000 miles per annum. However, I did this not long ago - not a beemer, but still...  :untitled.jpg

Anonymous

The great thing I like about this forum, there is not a lot of whiners about the little things that go wrong with there bikes.  Up to now the posts have been positive.Most owners of BMW bikes are individuals and not followers (You will not see a lot of black leathers and black crash helmets)  and being this way you will get differing views as well the club will change from time to time but this does not mean older members are not welcome. One of the things I enjoy in the club is seeing the older members still there and guys in there late 60s still riding adventure rides.  

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.