Home Forums General Discussion Inside leg measurements……………..and GS Adventure.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

I had a phone call from a chap named Ken Erskine, who is contemplating an extensive (like world!) tour with a cobber.  He has tried a standard GS, and loved it, but the cobber (in the UK) insists he should consider the GSA, which is superior because (insert reasons here that a simple Suzuki rider like I'm about to be wouldn't understand.)Ken sounds like a reasonably intelligent chap, and has done a bit of research on the subject, and is apprehensive that a GSA would be too tall for him.  He has hunted round the local dealers, none of whom apparently has one in stock, so he's now hunting a favour - no, he doesn't want to ride your scooter!What he would like to do is to meet a GSA owner that would let him throw a leg across their bike, so he could "try it on for size", so to speak.  And, of course, get all the good oil about why the GSA is the "must have" model straight from the owner's mouth.I'm loath to publish Ken's phone number in public view, but if you can help him, either add a message to this thread and I'll put the pair of you in touch, or Personal Message me.

Dave Morris
    Participant

my only suggestion would be they get the same bike as this makes life easier when issues arrive. i read many stories on guys doing the russia mongolia thing on two different models. cant work it out.

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

Perhaps Neil at Exp might be able to help out Bruce.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Perhaps Neil at Exp might be able to help out Bruce.

Neil has an 1150GS I think (I keep trying to tempt him into a 1200), and last time I checked, no-one is keen on stocking the R1200GSA due to cost.Anyway, is he in Auckland? I have an R1200GSA, happy to show it to him, probably only next weekend on, as it has to go into Exp for warranty work on Tuesday, and it needs that work to get a WOF, ie, it ain't road legal at the moment. Mine has the stock seat, but there is also a factory low seat option. Either way, you have to be just under 6 foot, or above, to handle it easily, she's a big bike.

Anonymous

Gremlin, you might be just the man Ken is looking for.And I should have stated the obvious, yes, Ken is in Auckland.And I admit readily, I just don't get it: I've been looking at images of the GS and GSA, and they are like Mexicans, they all look the same to me.  This is rich coming from a fella whose next bike is gonna be a smaller than a GS, non BMW chook-chaser, eh?  How is it I can imagine a V-Strom as my ride and be totally dismissive of GSs, even though I am well aware they are pretty much the cream of the crop in the BMW world (so long as you are 6 feet tall, or thereabouts) (( and where does our short-arsed President that rides a GS, which is for sale, fit in this picture?)).Shortly after: OK, you GS types got me curious, now I will be able to tell them apart.  GSA: taller, heavier, bigger fuel tank, spoked wheels, different steering angle, more front suspension travel, greedier fuel consumption, etc, etc.  I think S. Bell has a key point, too: for a big adventure ride, the bikes should have commonality of spares, then you only have to carry half eachHorses for courses, as always.

Murray
    Participant

Plenty of comparison articles re: GS vs GSA on the web, good one at bmwmotorcycles.com. In a nutshell Bruce has it, GSA has 33L fuel tank as opposed to the GS's 22L and a few extras like crash bar, extra lights, better suspension travel (which makes it taller) and a comfy seat; but it's also about 60kg heavier. My view, if you don't like the GSA buy a GS, add a light bar and PIAA lights, Touratech crash bars, lower the pegs and get Macdonalds to do a custom seat. Strap on gas cans are easy to get and keep the center of gravity lower. Ready for a world tour then  8)

Anonymous

We're sorted: I've just emailed Ken and Gremlin so they can chat amongst themselves, after that, LET THE ADVENTURE BEGIN.And Ken, join our forum and send lots of photos, matey.

Ron McFadzien
    Participant

I don't understand why people buy brand new bikes and then head off into the unknown. If it was me I think I would be buying a bike and putting a few thousand Kms (20,000) on it before I went anywhere. As we know factory production an't as good as it used to be. Best get the gremlins out before heading into the unknown and get a better understanding of how the particular bike you choose rides under different conditions before you leave home. Also learn how to do minor repairs and servicing before heading off.  Shit a GSA loaded for a world trip is going to be bloody heavy and if your not planning on off road adventures then the only advantage is the extra fuel. Would be better with the GS and 60Kgs lighter less wear and tear on tires suspension etc etc.boGSer

Anonymous
    Inactive

Did a post elsewhere, so I'm repeating others, but a couple of items were missed.Main differences are:- 20L fuel tank on GS, 33L tank on GSA- crash bars standard on GSA, nothing on GS- pannier racks on GSA standard, nothing on GS (GS panniers don't need racks either)- cast rims for GS, spoked rims on GSA (but still tubeless). Identical rim sizes tho- small screen on GS, larger screen on GSA- GSA has an altered first gear, better for off road, rest of the gearing between bikes is identical- Higher seat heights on GSA than GS- More ground clearance on GSA than GS- handguards on GSA standard, extras on GS- GS is lighter than GSAGSA is 20kg heavier than GS, dry weights, 27kg heavier wet weight. Found I can squeeze about 35-36L of fuel into the GSA, I've had 750+km out of a tank before (was a very economical run - but I think it's getting more economical as I pile on the km so it's possible I could get more). Henry did say I should consider a GS, then mod it, but I wanted the spoked wheels for strength, fuel capacity, crash guards... yeah... just buy the GSA.I love it, but yeah, when the going gets rough she's a beast to handle. Dropped it in the USA fully loaded in the middle of nowhere by myself, no chance of people coming buy, and it took a hell of an effort to get it upright, after dropping off the luggage, and I'm 6'3, 95kg. Generally prefer to have someone around when adventuring, and if you watch Long Way Down, 4 guys are picking it up... Still, I wanted a do-all bike, that can crack 1000km a day no worries, but still go exploring down a random road, which is exactly what it does.

Anonymous
    Inactive

All sorted now. Bit of a delay while Jessica was off the road, then my emails weren't getting through to Ken.At 5'10 and 75kg after running around in the shower, he found he couldn't get it off the side stand with a firm footing with the seat in the high position (panniers on, but only a bit of stuff inside), and tank mostly empty. He could get it upright with the seat in the low position, but it basically answered all his questions that the bike was too big for him to handle safely.I'm still jealous of his plans. UK for a few weeks later this year, then USA for a few weeks next year.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just to throw my oar in, I dont have any trouble really on level ground with my 12GSA, i'm just under 5'10″ and 78kg. It's my daily ride. There's a few techniques to getting it off the sidestand some times. Stopping on dodgy terrain involves a little planning so I can get it upright again.Yes Alan, i've signed up 😛

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just to throw my oar in, I dont have any trouble really on level ground with my 12GSA, i'm just under 5'10" and 78kg. It's my daily ride. There's a few techniques to getting it off the sidestand some times. Stopping on dodgy terrain involves a little planning so I can get it upright again.Yes Alan, i've signed up 😛

😮 wow, you really did.The problem in what you say however, is "level ground", "techniques to getting it off the sidestand some times" etc. Ken could get my GSA upright under certain conditions, but throw in full luggage, perhaps gravel underfoot, and it's getting to be a handful. I find it a handful in the rough stuff keeping it upright etc, and I'm 6'3, 95kg ish.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Actually I find it easier with the luggage on, preloading the suspension a little… Me Ohlins is fairly stiff on the rear, making the ride height fairly high. Failing the standard technique of getting on a motorcycle, you can always start it, get it off the side stand while standing next to it, put it in gear, then jump on as you take off 😛

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don't think Gaston knew where his inside leg measurement was…

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

;D you're right and it brings to mind watching young (then) Andrea Mayer at our Cromwell Rally some years ago looking tiny but oh so competent once under way.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.