Home Forums Members Information on Welligton customs.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all.

My bike will be arriving in Wellington very soon.I did get the necessary info from Mark at BMW NZ about the certificate of compliance that I need.

Now the question...... Is there anyone that has been through the same process? What must be done at customs to release the bike?? 😕

Thx.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

The man to talk to would be Martyn. If he doesn’t find this thread, I will mail him. I know that you need a MAF inspection. I hope the bike is spotless, these guys are strict.

Here is what I know.

Your freight agent will release the bike after you have paid them. They will organize an inspection with MAF if you want. The bike will likely be stored inside a restricted customs area. MAF will inspect the bike there. You will probably be asked to remove the bike and packaging. I suppose what happens will depend on your arrangement with your shipping agent. They will of course charge for any services.

Stuart Burns
    Participant

I went through this process 18 months ago when I bought my GS and a dirt bike in from the UK. If I remember correctly, the shipping agent will arrange for the MAFF inspection, I didn’t have to uncrate the bikes for MAFF, they or the shipping company partially dismantled the crate. I went the following day and finished de-crating, put wheels on etc. Then took the bike across the road to get the compliance stuff done. You have to wait a minimum of 24 hours after the MAFF inspection before getting the compliance done to give MAFF time to get your bike’s VIN number on the computer system. After that it was plain sailing. Think it cost me about $400 in total for the GS.

2bjr
    Participant

Hi all.

Thank you for all the replies. BMW NZ is issuing the certificate of compliance, so hopefully that is sorted. Only thing left to do is MAF and then off to VINZ for rego and lisence plate. MAF also have to clear my container with the furniture and bike together.

Paul
    Participant

Well remembered Alex.

Firstly, lean on your agent for advice - this is what you pay them for!

You'll need Customs clearance and MAF clearance. Make sure you check whether your agent will arrange MAF inspection or whether they expect you to do it. The inspection will be to check for contamination (leaves, seeds etc) on the bike plus they also verify chassis number and possibly odometer (this varies by MAF officer!).

This inspection can normally be completed without taking the bike out of the crate. Maybe removing just the top and one side will be sufficient.

I would recommend you being present for this inspection. If there is luggage on the bike, they may want to look inside (and most officers would appreciate assistance to open these. Also, you would be able to ask officer when the details are likely to lodged in computer.

Whilst you are waiting for this inspection, you should speak to the freight depot to discuss how to get your bike out of there. Some will allow you to remove bike from crate, re-attach front wheel, gas it up, connect battery and generally prep it for riding. Others will require you to take the bike still crated.

I won't bore others with details for your container here, but if you want, please call or email me - 09 634 4948 / martynf@tapper.co.nz.

Good luck

2bjr
    Participant

Received my bike. No problems from Customs.

Thx for the help.

Dion Dunlop
    Participant

As an addition for the future, I brought my bike in through Auckland.  I did all of the legwork myself.  Customs wasn't a problem really, just needed proof of ownership etc and a valuation from a bike shop.  This was a problem as Experience weren't keen to give one unseen.  In the end they wrote a reasonably non-commital valuation based on my description.  I then paid a fee which was worked out by taking the cost of freight off the valuation and multiplying by the number of tools in a sidchrome socket set (I think).  The difficult bit was getting MAF to check the bike out.  As it had come by sea, it should have been inspected by the wharf MAF guys, however, it was being stored near the airport.  In the end, my charm won over a sweet young MAF officer.  After paying the appropriate fee, I was allowed to take the bike away.  In the end, I don't think I got my change from $NZ1000, after fees, WOF, plate and rego. 

2bjr
    Participant

Yip, about right.Not so bad as everybody thinks.My only holdup was the holidays, so MAF was behind on inspections.But all ended well.Cheers.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.