Home Forums General Discussion How to make a BMW even more handsome

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

So, partially inspired by the comments that the forum is too quiet, and partially because photos are hard to come by… I started this topic.We all know our bikes are far better looking than other brands, indeed, everyone says so...  ::)I do event riding, providing support to sports events like triathlon and marathon by carrying officials, media, or leading using my GSA. Ironman 70.3 Auckland is on 18th Jan, and in prep, two bikes have had custom racks built for them, to carry the TV cameras that can feed live footage back for broadcast. Since the guys sit forwards, backwards or stand up forwards, a standard bike doesn't really cut it, and there are also the associated electronics to be carried.So I present to you, the beautiful media racks, further enhancing awesome BMWs  ;D (still being finished off)[IMG]http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb236/_Gremlin/BMW%20Media%20Rack/10923555_749751751780659_6170603476996905917_n_zps7c7ba426.jpg~original[/img][IMG]http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb236/_Gremlin/BMW%20Media%20Rack/10896901_750801018342399_1461051611567502950_n_zps3a03e778.jpg~original[/img]

aegis4805
    Participant

nice looking racks Gremlin – I see the other machine in an Austrian 🙂

Arne Rohde
    Participant

Do you get to keep the racks? You could certainly carry some extra luggage with that setup. Perhaps also good for practicing wheelies without the risk of flipping it over backwards. Can't imagine what it does to the handling, though, having that equipment on the back and a cameraperson moving around all the time.BTW what and how do you communicate with the cameraman, marshals, controllers, etc.?

Anonymous
    Inactive

nice looking racks Gremlin - I see the other machine in an Austrian 🙂

That would be the welder and other moto pilot. No way in hell I can produce that stuff. The poor deluded soul had a 2013 1190 Adv R, pile of issues so... got a 2014 1190 Adv R... there's no helping some people  ;D

Anonymous
    Inactive

Do you get to keep the racks? You could certainly carry some extra luggage with that setup. Perhaps also good for practicing wheelies without the risk of flipping it over backwards. Can't imagine what it does to the handling, though, having that equipment on the back and a cameraperson moving around all the time.BTW what and how do you communicate with the cameraman, marshals, controllers, etc.?

The entity we operate under, Event Riders, will have the racks. Considering they're built onto the bikes, they're effectively for us for these sorts of events as they certainly won't fit anything else (and most of the crew have different bikes). You'll note on mine we've run the rack over the top of the OEM racks. The media rack on mine is 2 piece, the top grab rail and sissy bar is a separate piece, but both get pulled off and the bike is back to normal. OEM racks give plenty of luggage.Re handling, it's when they're standing up that it's most tricky. Cameraman is at their most vulnerable, usually grabbing on you when it gets tricky. For the most part, they're experienced and don't usually do anything completely crazy, but the rest is up to us ... My bike has electronic Ohlins, and I've worked with Robert Taylor on an optimum setup that gives normal 1up riding, but also good handling when 2up. Fortunately neither of the cameramen are gorillas  ;D Haven't weighed the rack yet, but it's not too bad (easily carry one handed).Communication is radios between director/cameras/motos they tell us where they want us. We don't really communicate with any marshals, and hopefully the technical officials (moto mounted) don't yell at us (ie, we fucked up). It's a dynamic environment where the officials must be able to do their work, but publicity/coverage is important and therefore our presence is important. It's a little busy around the lead, as all the photographers want their pictures, officials are watching that the most (spots for bigger events up for grabs so stakes are high etc), then you have the helicopter overhead most of the time.Up to 20 motos amongst the cyclists across the field, so not too crazy  ;D

aegis4805
    Participant

Thanks for the info Gremlin – interesting to know what other enthusiasts get up to

Arne Rohde
    Participant

Thanks, Gremlin. Hopefully you get some signal to tell you the cameraman is going to be moving around or standing up so you can be prepared.If anyone else is interested in joining the Auckland Triathlon on a motorbike, and haven't seen the request for volunteers thread in the Rallies and Events forum, have a look here http://bmwor.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,3258.0.html for information and contact details.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks, Gremlin. Hopefully you get some signal to tell you the cameraman is going to be moving around or standing up so you can be prepared.

Yep, that's just voice communication between us. With the large camera they can't move around too easily, but I'll speak to my cameraman prior to starting so we clearly understand each other.

Robin
    Participant

Why is the cylinder head different from other 1200's? 

Anonymous
    Inactive

Why is the cylinder head different from other 1200's?

Different? The crash bars around it are aftermarket. There was a change in 2010 when bits of the HP2 were fitted, lifting power but everything there is stock.

Anonymous
    Inactive

artig asked for an update. The triathlon has been and gone in January, everything went well. Wasn't yelled at too many times (side effect of being on the ladies… you're also surrounded by men and your position is… delicate). The media crew were happy, no major shots missed, neither live unit was damaged and the bikes kept the units running (as opposed to running on battery for 30min last year…  ::)) No standing was required, but the racks are designed to take the weight and it was practised.Right after Ironman 70.3 Auckland it was down to Palmy to work with the police on the NZ Cycle Classic, a 5 day stage race. No media rack required, but I take a few extra days prior and take the opportunity to head round East Cape. On the way back to accommodation one afternoon the BMW ticked over 100,000km, so once back in Auckland it was time for another service. Well timed I guess, play was detected in the final drive, so once a check was done to make sure all parts were present, it was checked in again for that work. That was last week, so the quiet month was excellent maintenance wise.March is busy. The media rack has been fitted over the weekend again as we have 3 this month. I head down to Taupo on Friday for Ironman NZ on Saturday then return Sunday (the long way of course, as there are no meetings). 22nd March is ITU New Plymouth and 29th March is ITU Auckland and that's likely the season done (and 9 events since November by my count). There may be one in April, but we'll see.Here's a pic after 70.3, complete with luxury options ticked, custom upholstery (the zip undone on a cushion then zip tied onto the frame). Box was supplied by media, I just had to fit the wiring and make sure the bike could handle the 15A load. The camera operators can still grip the rail through the cushion, just high enough to assist them, not too high to get in the way when sitting down.20150121_143538_zpsprtgy2fq.jpg

Robin
    Participant

Ah yes, The flag! 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ah yes, The flag! 🙂

On the balance of odds, when travelling the USA/Canada in 2011, I found it a good talking point for strangers to approach. No real safety issues, not there anyway. Yes, I did get the occasional "Did you ride all the way here" but then they had to clarify, from the coast to inland... not from NZ, when I answered and said, "Yes, I had a really long snorkel"  ;DBack here, the question is mostly, "Uh... why have you put NZ flags on the bike"  ::)

Arne Rohde
    Participant

Many thanks for the update, Gremlin. You certainly keep a busy schedule during the season. I was wondering what the media racks looked like in their completed state. Now I have the answer. I might actually have caught a glimpse of you on your way to East Cape. It was definitely a 1200GS with an impressive luggage setup.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Went from Raglan to Opotiki on Mon 26/1, Opotiki to Hastings (via East Cape) on Tues 27/1.Full album of pics here: http://s210.photobucket.com/user/_Gremlin/library/BMW%20Media%20Rack?sort=6&page=1

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.