Home Forums General Discussion honeymoon

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)
  • Author

Cape Reinga is now sealed road all the way, great riding, but kind of boring compared to in the past (I ride a sports bike, not a GS, so gravel can be, umm, exciting.)Any of the Coromandel (Eastern side) beaches, and those in Bay of Plenty are great.  Unless you are an accomplished swimmer in surf, always swim on a patrolled beach, and stay between the flags.In severe drought conditions Moleworth can be closed, too great a risk of fire.Regina's post is a fair description of our roads, what she hasn't mentioned is how dangerous some of our automobile road users are to motorcyclists.Perhaps you might think about honeymooning in one Island only, and coming back to ride the other one for your 15th, 20th, 25th (?) anniversary (allowing for the possibility bambini might interfere with your planning along the way?)

Dave Ross

One addition, the Molesworth is a gravel road, and a long one at that. Do it, if at all possible.

Arne Rohde
    Participant

Some years ago I wrote a guide for visiting motorcyclists. In some areas it needs to be updated, but most of the advice is still valid. You can find it on the last link on the page http://www.softnz.com/links.html On that page there are also links to some accounts of rides around New Zealand. One or two of the links are no longer valid.Some of the best beaches are in the Bay of Plenty, and one of these is at Ohope, near Whakatane. It can be busy during summer, though. Other good ones are Papamoa, Mt Maunganui, and Waihi Beach.We have a spare room if you need a place to stay overnight near Tauranga/Papamoa/Mt Maunganui.

Anonymous
    Inactive

are being studied …thank you individually at the end…one more question for now…goldenbay/colliwood or coromandel peninsula?I have to cut...pipiriki-whanganui?it's ok?Moleworth is in charge?need to book?

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

one more question for now...goldenbay/colliwood or coromandel peninsula?

You'll just have to stay longer, both have stunning scenery and riding  😉

Anonymous
    Inactive

how much are you into tourist/sight seeing activities (off the bike) versus pleasant riding experiences? I enjoy views from the bike and avoid crowds (commercial tourist stops). my ideal is 90% travel, 10% stopped for most of NZ when by myself. with my wife as pillion or as fellow rider, we stop a lot more.some places are sightseeing, some are rides and some are both. the balance is yours. for your first time in NZ I suspect a lot of tourist stops/experiences. once you come so far ($) make the most of it (stay as long as possible), or plan to come back for more.

Dave Ross

one more question for now...goldenbay/colliwood or coromandel peninsula?

You'll just have to stay longer, both have stunning scenery and riding  😉

Pipiriki - To Wanganui is fine and a beautiful ride. The Molesworth is free and you don't have to book.

Robin
    Participant

“goldenbay/colliwood or coromandel peninsula?”  Do the Collingwood option; less traffic, Farewell Spit is quite unique."pipiriki-whanganui?"  Gravel road. Yes very OK. Historic.

Anonymous
    Inactive

thanks to your advice I'd decided to go with this idea:                                                km    time1 20/01/12 taupo 307        4242                taupo           3                whanganui        253 3.484                nelson        106 8.135                hokitika        348 4.236                fox glacier        210 3.137                queenstown 329 3.548                taanau        171 2.089                teanau               117 1.20  milford sound 10                     orepuki        122 1.3211                mt.cook        472 5.3812                moana        474 5.3813                molesworth sud 221 2.3814                blenheim        203 5.0815                wellington        130 4.3216                napier        327 4.2417                cap. runaway 426 5.2518                whakatane        161 2.0419                whakatane           20                rotorua         84 1.1821                rotorua 22                coromandel         270 4.0423                ngunguru         385 5.5124                mangonui         201 2.4925                mangonui         264 3.18 cape reinga tour26 14/02/12 auckland         328 4.36

Anonymous
    Inactive

I want certainly:to travel between the nature,to see the penguins,to do a lot of photos,todo some dirt road,jat boat.I thought from the book 'Italian only 2 nights in Taupo. The other nights i want to book day by day.What do you think?5900 km... once in our life... certainly not relaxing!!!!we hope for good weather but we can always change..link north-south  ferry?

Robin
    Participant

“thanks to your advice I'd decided to go with this idea:                                                km    time1   20/01/12   taupo   307           4242                   taupo                  3                   whanganui           253   3.484                   nelson           106   8.13"It would have to be Wanganui* to Wellington; [Cook Strait Crossing] Wellington to Picton: (These are the only ports with ferry links.) Then, Picton to Nelson. *City is called Wanganui; River is called Whanganui. A recent change of official spelling has many people using both. But they sound the same, basicly.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"thanks to your advice I'd decided to go with this idea:                                                km    time1   20/01/12   taupo   307           4242                   taupo                  3                   whanganui           253   3.484                   nelson           106   8.13"It would have to be Wanganui* to Wellington; [Cook Strait Crossing] Wellington to Picton: (These are the only ports with ferry links.) Then, Picton to Nelson. *City is called Wanganui; River is called Whanganui. A recent change of official spelling has many people using both. But they sound the same, basicly.

sorry...yours names for me in not easy...in italy no k and few h...I'm afraid to talk

Anonymous
    Inactive

There's a lot of traffic on the Te Anau – Milford road going in in the morning and coming out in the afternoon. Cars, campers, endless tour buses all heading for the day cruises. I've ridden in later in the afternoon and enjoyed a quiet road in my direction (lots of traffic coming the other way) then back out early evening (quiet in both directions). Doesn't work if you're taking a day cruise on Milford Sound, but overnight boats are another option so you can be in the opposite direction to most of the traffic.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ferry links:http://www.interislander.co.nz/http://www.bluebridge.co.nz/Above are the two operators of ferry sailings. I always use Interislander, others only use Bluebridge. Check sailing times, and see what suits. Carrying your own tie downs are recommended, as the ones onboard aren't much use, and it can be rough at times. All sailings are between Wellington (North Island) and Picton (South Island).Re Milford Sound, one option is to leave Te Anau at 7am (assuming no overnight trip on a boat). The petrol station opens then, and you can be amongst the first vehicles on the road, see the sights and when you come back, all the vehicles will be going into the Sound. Buses are only allowed on the road around 9am, as there is a one way tunnel 10km south of Milford Sound. It's wide enough for cars both ways, but not for buses, so operates on a traffic light system during the day.Speed is heavily enforced, especially during summer months, so keep an eye on the speedo. As a general rule of thumb, the lower the highway number, the more cops there will be. If you're not starting and finishing in the same city, I would suggest doing a one way trip, more efficient use of time, and only one ferry crossing. As for mileage per day, as someone has tried to compare, our roads (even the highways) are usually single lane roads outside cities, add in stopping, and you'll find you won't cover more than a few hundred km a day, and feel tired. As always, it depends what sort of riding you are used to.

Anonymous
    Inactive

http://g.co/maps/zkqrg http://g.co/maps/5ec4k  http://g.co/maps/jcb4n taupo              326 taupo  0 whanganui        254 blenheim          341 hammer spring  203 xxx  xxxxxx  te anau          1391 queenstown      403 queenstown xxx xxx  riwaka          1051 riwakawellington        264 napier            327 rotorua            275 coromandel      289 xxxmangonui        639 omapere          335 auckland          282 I leave 2 days of light.What do you think? proposals to replace the "X"?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.