Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk help please – rear seat of 1150gs will not unlock

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

people – anyone else had this experience – unable to unlock rear seat to get at tools – i've tried turning the key anticlockwise (same direction as the helmet holder) to no avail – also tried WD40 on the lock – assume that something has moved in the tool compartment and jammed the seat catch whilst bouncing around on gravel roads down South. I'm concerned not to break a key in the lock. Helpful comment appreciated – thanks Aslan  🙁

Dave Ross

As far as I remember, got to test it out though, is that the key turns clockwise to open.  If your theory is correct, you may want to try to shake the bike to unjam the seat. You may have some grit in there, that is jamming the catch mechanism rather than the lock.To lock my seat, I always have to punch it down near the right end corner of the seat, but only after I have turned the key to allow for the loop to seat on the catch. Maybe two people should try it in reverse. I hope that makes sense.Cheers,Alex

Jim Young
    Participant

Like Alex I always had to punch down on the seat while turning the key, sometimes I was very worried that the key may snap off.It well may be with all the dust under there it is jamming the lock, so maybe a gentle hose off under there followed by some CRC may do the trick.Best of luck.  😕

aegis4805
    Participant

thanks to Kokopelli and Youngjim for your helpful responses – no joy yet but i'll keep trying.Alex are you able to confirm please that the unlock direction on your machine is clockwise - thanks S

Dave Ross

Yes, the key definitely turns right to open the lock. I'll have to have a close look at the mechanism to see what could cause it to remain locked.Alex

aegis4805
    Participant

thanks Kokopelli and YoungJim – I've since discovered the problem was mud in the rider seat locking mechanism following the GS ride to the Old Man Range en route to the Nevis (that we didn't reach 🙂  )will attempt to attach photos in the hope they may be of help to others. Obviously you didn't suffer this problem Alex since you inverted your machine so as to make sure the seat locking mechanism did not retain any of the gunge we struggled through  👿DSC09671.jpgDSC09769.jpgDSC09770.jpgDSC09771.jpg

Dave Morris
    Participant

Clearly Garry W is not doing a very good job cleaning your bike. Do Not pay him.

aegis4805
    Participant

Clearly Garry W is not doing a very good job cleaning your bike. Do Not pay him.

right on Steve - in fact as I suspect you're aware Garry was one of our intrepid leaders along with Ross W. However, you pays your money and takes your chances eh - twas a good ride anyway  🙄

Jim Young
    Participant

Glad to see that it is all fixed now, and the pics will be of some help to others in the future. 🙂

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

Pleased to hear you have got your seat problem sorted Steve.  😆  Ever since seeing the great pics of the intrepid bunch that took to the hills I have been wondering why many of you got well and truly stuck in the mud when there seems to be good dry solid ground right next to the bike 😕  I'm sure there is a reason but it escapes me  😐 please explain  🙄Many years ago Jean and I did the Far North ride and got well and truly stuck in the sand on Doubtless Bay - however it was in a hole filled with sand on a narrow rising track and wasn't obvious until too late.  In the pics we see from your ride the mud and water appears to be quite obvious.Malcolm

Dave Ross

Pwhen there seems to be good dry solid ground right next to the bike 😕 

You are right Malcolm it only seems that way. Maybe not on the first mud hole, we may have just walloped into it for fun, but the others were mud in a 50+ metre radius. There were quite a number of them. We did not photograph every event.Cheers,Alex

aegis4805
    Participant

Pleased to hear you have got your seat problem sorted Steve.  😆  Ever since seeing the great pics of the intrepid bunch that took to the hills I have been wondering why many of you got well and truly stuck in the mud when there seems to be good dry solid ground right next to the bike 😕  I'm sure there is a reason but it escapes me  😐 please explain  🙄Many years ago Jean and I did the Far North ride and got well and truly stuck in the sand on Doubtless Bay - however it was in a hole filled with sand on a narrow rising track and wasn't obvious until too late.  In the pics we see from your ride the mud and water appears to be quite obvious.Malcolm

Gidday Malcolm - I admit the whole stuck seat is a little embarrasing - reminds one that all actions have consequences  🙁As to your Q - "why go in the mud when there appears to be perfectly dry ground" - appearance can be deceiving and we were trying not to create more tracks through the fauna up there (really) -it's a sensitive area ecologically.I was talking with a fellow on the ferry on the return to Wellington who had been staying on the station concerned and he remarked that he hoped we hadn't been deviating off the main trails - the landowner gets real 'septic' with those who doCheers S

Dave Ross

That's a good point, I did feel a bit guilty about riding off the track at times. I have have often seen tracks on hillsides that looked to be ancient. Any scars on the land seem to take forever to heal. At the end we did not have a choice and had to carry on. None of us had expected the track to be as it was. I guess the 4x4 crowd would have to take most of the blame. There were several areas where they had created alternative tracks, with lots of parallel ruts. I suppose most people who ride up there do so on more capable machinery, with less resulting impact on the environment.  I am a strong believer in reducing one's footprint to a minimum, but I  still like to ride a GS over a 250.Alex

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

Fair enough Steve, you all deserve medals for doing the right thing. 😉Malcolm

Dave Ross

Thanks Malcolm  😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.