Home Forums General Discussion Gun Trophy – widen the scope?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant

If you are not familiar with the “Gun Trophy” it's given annually to the member voted to have written the best article published in the magazine during the current year.  I read (in this forum) with great interest  😎 some of the reports by our back road fraternity and feel a little sad that these accounts are not often/ever printed in the magazine for any members who may not take advantage of BMWOR.ORG.NZ.   I'm not aware of these articles being considered for the trophy and I feel that some of them are of such good quality that perhaps it is time to have them considered along with those in the magazine.  I wonder how others feel about this? and maybe the time has come to have a small change to the rules to include articles published here.Malcolm

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

I'll second that :-). Suggest it at the next meeting Malcolm. On the otherhand it wouldn't be much trouble if some of the writers just emailed a copy to the editor, should they wish to have their article taken into consideration.

Robin
    Participant

My two cents worth:As immediate past editor, I made it my point to stay out of the forum. I intended to keep the newsletter, unsupported by items that appeared on the web site. Some members don't have an internet connection. Some don't register here.The amount of writing in most of these threads is quite small compared to a submission to the newsletter. A lot of a thread content is followed up by other people. Would everyone share the trophy?I think the point raised here is a very good one and deserves some attention and discussion.Maybe there is room for a new trophy to be introduced. This web medium is a whole new ball game, so why not new awards to go with it ?

Anonymous

How many members would not have Internet now? The cost of the news letter is huge and should be looked at not made bigger. More members should support this forum.I expect to be flamed, 🙂 but most clubs have replaced news letters for the Internet. I support a small news letter with rides and basic information and only sent to members who require it, others who opt out of a news letter have the Internet. This will take time as new members join.Malcolm you are one of the few older members who has adopted the forum  😎 also great to see Criserboy on here as well 😉 if only a few others would join and see that it is not that bad of a place to spend some time on. We all have one thing in common and that is BMW bikes.I'm not one for trophy's, I do agree to widen the scope of the Gun Trophy.    

2bjr
    Participant

Looks like this discussion is going THERE 👿When are the winner been announced for the past one 😕

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

My two cents worth:The amount of writing in most of these threads is quite small compared to a submission to the newsletter. A lot of a thread content is followed up by other people. Would everyone share the trophy?

Good point Dave, there are one or two recent reports that come to mind though, the most recent  being from Garry Williams which came with some great pics of the Lottin Point ride.  It was at least as comprehnsive as most in the mag.  As for replies to the original post - I don't think they would qualify as they are only follow up comments rather than reports.To Tharon, I'm not sure that the trophy was won last year.  There were a couple of comments in the minutes requesting votes for articles but nowhere can I find who the recipient was  😐  Does anyone know?

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

I don't know if the Editor ever reads the site, but if he is short of material eh could find a lot here. A short email to the writer is all it takes. The forum is still slowly growing and I think word will get around and more people will take advantge of it. I am sure a lot of members read it, but do not bother to register. People respond quite quickly know to requests for advice etc.  I have found it to helpful many times. This is where the newsletter can't compete.

2bjr
    Participant

To Tharon, I'm not sure that the trophy was won last year.  There were a couple of comments in the minutes requesting votes for articles but nowhere can I find who the recipient was  😐  Does anyone know?Thx. I could also not find anything. 😡

Murray
    Participant

Hi,I've submitted a couple of my articles to Dave, the new Editor. The recent Lottin Point one is apparently being considered for the June issue of the magazine and I think the Wellington Overnighter to Waipukura is in the May edition. I have raised this issue before with previous Editors, if they are short of material for the magazine then this the perfect place to source stories.Got a ride over the Makairo Track this weekend, should be interesting with the weather looking a little more feral down this way. Will knock something up about this adventure on return  😀Garry

Robin
    Participant

We (civilisation) are moving along in technical leaps and bounds, and changes are always evolving. Our Register now has a web site: something new. Perhaps it is time to introduce awards in the web page area. That would help to stimulate viewing.How about "Best Introduced Thread Idea." (Taken by membership vote,) or "Author of most Popular Thread" (That is, most replies and participation.) ...For starters.

Murray
    Participant

Got a ride over the Makairo Track this weekend, should be interesting with the weather looking a little more feral down this way. Will knock something up about this adventure on return  😀

As it happens, events have conspired against me joining the others for this ride. The weather is no longer looking feral, it is - so I'm not really too disheartened. No doubt the boys will still have a grand old time on the Makairo but I suspect it will be very slippery, should prove for some interesting photos  😀

Dave Morris
    Participant

could all the members with out internet acccess please list your name below

dave.valma
    Participant

Good on ya steve, nowt like a bit of levity.Steve..

2bjr
    Participant

could all the members with out internet acccess please list your name below

😕 😕 😐

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.