Home Forums General Discussion GS1200 or GS650 ?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi and thanks for having me,I am lucky enough to live in a fabulous part of the South Isalnd, New Zealand having emigrated here from the UK last year. Previously i rode a CBR600 ( in the UK ), but with the varied terrain/roads and the very strict Police i have decide on a BMW GS.I will use the bike to commute to and from work and on my days off hack about the South Island. My 7 yr old son has a dirt bike and it would occasionaly be nice to follow him off road.Money aside are the GS 1200 & 650 totally different bikes ? Would i always wish i had bought the 1200 or would i not take full advantage of the abilities the 1200 has over the 650. I do not intend crossing continents but i want a reliable, comfy and fun bike.I would greatly appreciate your thoughts.Thanks

Jim Young
    Participant

Hi and welcome to the forum.Yes they are entirely different bikes and having had a Dakar 650GS, 1150GS and now a 1200GS and loved them all in different ways, I would never go back to a 650GS, but that is only my personal opinion.If you are intending to use them like a dirt bike, remember they are very heavy and you will not be able to go where a trail bike does, so they are suitable for gravel and easy dirt roads only, unless you have very good off road skills.My advice to you would be to try both of them out for a day or so if your dealer will allow you.The 1200GS is an extremely easy and capable road bike to ride and will eat up the Km's also as many sport bike riders have found out it has great handling in the twisties.Have fun ChoosingRegardsJim

2bjr
    Participant

Hi.Also moving down to the South Island, Dunedin shortly. I also had a 650, for me much better on the gravel.But like the 1150 more. So it is what suits you and what the use are going to be and what the budget is πŸ˜‰But test ride before.

Mornay Maree
    Participant

Thanks for your replies. Does anyone have any recommendations as far as dealers go in New Zealand. Am i likely to get any discount on a new bike?Thanks.

Murray
    Participant

Thanks for your replies. Does anyone have any recommendations as far as dealers go in New Zealand. Am i likely to get any discount on a new bike?Thanks.

Love the 1200GS but the 650 is perfect for commuting, dealing with wide open stretches of SI gravel, handling gnarlier bits of sides of mountains and all that other wonderful terrain you get down there (I used to live in Canterbury, so I know), and your not going to lose your licence on one. Funnily enough, unless you really want to buy a new one, I have one for sale - http://forum.bmwor.org.nz/index.php?topic=476.0Call me 021 220 6104 or 04 526 3417 if you're interested.Garry

Mornay Maree
    Participant

Thanks Gary, but i am after a new one (dont tell the Mrs).

Mornay Maree
    Participant

Any dealer recommendations, and what sort of a deal am i likely to get on a new GS?

Dave Ross

I recommend the closest to dealer to where you live. You may get a better deal on the F650GS than on the R1200GS. They try to sell these bikes at list price and may give you a break on accessories or clothing.

Murray
    Participant

On yaΒ  πŸ˜€

2bjr
    Participant

On ya  πŸ˜€

Garry, bike still not sold πŸ˜•

Murray
    Participant

On ya  πŸ˜€

Garry, bike still not sold πŸ˜•

Not yet, and no rush really - it's cleaning up nicelyΒ  πŸ™‚Β  I thought I was going to miss it, but it hasn't left the garage since I picked up the new bikeΒ  πŸ˜€Β  πŸ˜€Β  πŸ˜€

2bjr
    Participant

New bike, no photos πŸ˜• πŸ˜• πŸ˜•

Murray
    Participant

New bike, no photos πŸ˜• πŸ˜• πŸ˜•

Been posted previously, recall saying then I'd buy it if I could fine the chequebook - well I did, best thing I've ever doneΒ  πŸ˜€http://forum.bmwor.org.nz/index.php?topic=323.0

2bjr
    Participant

Nice one Garry.Enjoy.Besafe and stay on the rubber. πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.