Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk Greenish/Grey Gearbox Oil

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Just done the Southern Cross and so i started to change all the oils today. The gearbox oil came out a greenish grey colour and as it poured in the white icecream container had a “pearlised” look about it. Bike is 1997 R1100G/S, I can confirm it has an M97 gearbox (last of the 3 attempts). 96000km's  and the gearbox oil has been changed every engine oil change, no worse than every 5500km's since i bought it in 2001 with 30000km on the clock.While heading north a couple of weeks ago i got caught in the commuting traffic at Paraparaumu. Crawling/stopping/starting in 1st and 2nd gears a banging developed from somewhere in the clutch & gearbox area. it stopped when the cluch was pulled in. i put it down to things getting a bit hot and after the traffic thinned i could not get the bike to repeat the noise even when i was in 1st and 2nd. 2 days later it repeated the noise on the Auckland motorway. it did not reappear for the rest of the ride and the best part of 4500km. the bike still ran well and there was no extra pressure required (than usual) to change gear.Anybody else had a similar experience??i'm thinking this may be a job for Mr Visa!!

phil1
    Participant

Indeed it will be a job for Mr Visa. The local dealer has the g'box apart. not only new bearings but a new input shaft as well :-o. the bearing has turned on the shaft and the circlip next to it has machined a new groove in the shaft. overall cost will be more than what Mrs C's town runabout car cost.the question now is - does it go or does it stay??

Dave Ross

Ouch. So are you thinking of repairing it and then selling it, or did you want to sell it in as is condition? If you still like the bike, keep it. If it was my 1150 I would repair and keep. It's the only bike I've ever bought new, so I am more attached to it then usual.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.