Home Forums Ride Reports Gravel to Raglan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Equiped with a route plan from artig I made my way to Raglan trying to ride as much gravel as possible.Here is his suggestion.I would go on the main road towards Port Waikato, and turn left onto Klondyke Rd shortly before Port Waikato. Turn right at the top of Klondyke onto Onewhero Rd. After about 4 to 4.5 km turn right into Ponganui Rd which becomes Brien Rd. Turn right at the end onto Wairamarama Rd. Continue to the end and turn right onto Waikaretu Valley Rd, which is sealed. At the end turn left onto Pukerewa Rd, and continue onto Te Akau Coast Rd, and then Te Akau South Rd all the way to Kauri Flat. Turn left onto Mangiti, and then at the end right onto Ruakiwi Rd. This ends on Ohautira Rd, which is the extension of HW22 towards Raglan. Turn right onto Ohautira, and before long you're on SH23.Instead of going to the end of Wairamarama Rd you can turn right onto Baker Rd, which ends on Waikaretu Rd. Turn left, and you'll be on the route south from Port Waikato.I made a short list of road names that fitted nicely in the clear pouch on the right arm of my rally jacket, no need to pull out a map this way.I'll leave you to look at the photos, feel free to ask question. Oh, it was at least a 100km of gravel including the ride around Mt Karioi.Never saw a car on the gravel roads to Raglan. However, I did see a rabbit, two pheasants any number of goats and sheep as well as cattle on the road. You've  got to stay alert.DSC02803.jpgDSC02804.jpgDSC02806.jpgDSC02807.jpgDSC02808.jpgDSC02809.jpgDSC02812.jpgDSC02813.jpgDSC02814.jpgDSC02815.jpgDSC02816.jpgAfter lunch  I continued around Mt Karioi. It is a neat gravel road that hugs the mountain. This road can have a bit of traffic and I wouldn;t recommend it in the wet due to lots of clay patches. It promptly started to drizzle, just enough to b a nuisance, but not enough to soak the road.

Anonymous

Looks fun. next time

Murray
    Participant

You didn't get down onto Ruapuke Beach then Alex? Great spot for a bit of fun  😀

Dave Ross

I have no idea where that is, but will look it up on the map. I've got to say though that I don't like riding on the beach, mostly because of what the sand does to the bike.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.