Home Forums Ride Reports Gravel ride from Port Albert to Puhoi

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Thanks to TonyS we've had a neat gravel ride today and got to see some great scenery. Tony, Kevin, Paul and myself left from just north of Helensville to find as much gravel as possible. Tony started to set a blistering pace on his supermotard KTM and it took him a couple of k's to notice that the rest of us had stopped for a photo opportunity. We had a great view accorss the Kaipara Harbour entrance (see photo below). Back on HW16 Paul had to head off home, but Kevin joined us accross the Kaipara Hills road and on to Puhoi were we had lunch. That's where we met Richard K who then joined us for the ride back to Auckland on some more gravel. Thanks to Tony's GPS we rarley went wrong and only had to do about six U-turns along the way. The Port Albert area is home to some neat scenery and I will need to visit again. We had a great day out. All up for me just under 300km and home in time for afternoon tea :-).DSC02819.jpg

Stuart Burns
    Participant

Make that 7 U turns Alex, 😐 I missed a subtle fork in the last gravel section back to the highway! at least the GPS tells you pretty quickly that you've missed a turn, rather than the usual approach of carrying on obliviously, then ignoring the nagging doubts for another couple of k's, before admitting defeat! Good ride though 😀 Your ears recovered from the Scorpion zorst yet?

Dave Ross

Your ears recovered from the Scorpion zorst yet?

Only just recently. Your bike sounds good, but it pays  to hang back a bit. You seemed to really enjoy its performance.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.