Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Participant

We have some fly buys to spend and one option is the Tomtom Via160.  This is a car model but I see no reason why it couldn't sit in the top of the tank bag. I would have to stop occasionally but otherwise it should work OK. Any comment/advice would be welcome thanks.

Anonymous

Not sure if you can use Open Maps on TomTom units, but if you buy Garmin you can, and it saves having to ever buy map updates.  Also the Open Maps are always a lot more up to date.

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

Didn't have a clue what “open maps” was/were Bruce.  Google to the rescue and from what I see they are currently limited to Central Europe.  Nothing for NZ or the US or Oz but I could be missing something. 

Anonymous

Must be missing something, 'cos I have them in my Garmin, and NZ is not Europe.http://nzopengps.org/

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

Thanks Bruce, I went to the “Open Maps Project Site” thinking it would be the go but in fact it is the EU site and doesn't mention dear old NZ. ??? Sooooo

Robin
    Participant

Car version would have to be an indoor unit – no rain!

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

Right Dave, but sitting in the map pocket (where else ;D) of my tank bag I figure it should be OK? To be honest I've never felt the need for one as a map has always worked perfectly well.  However these flybuys have to be used and this could be a fun addition to my toy box.  People who have toured overseas have also said the GPS proved to be invaluable and we hope one day not too far distant to do just that.

Anonymous
    Inactive

In my opinion, if you want a GPS for your bike you are best to buy a bike-specific model. For example the Garmin Zumo or the Tomtom Rider. I have a Garmin Zumo 660 with a bluetooth connection to my helmet. In my Australia tour it was invaluable. Great maps, good instructions (although she has some problems with pronunciation!) but best of all was the Points of Interest functions in a new town. You just press a button and it lists all the petrol stations, cafes, accommodation etc. Click on the one you want and instant instructions on how to get there. After a long day riding it was very stress-free. Oh, and also all my music loaded on for those loooooong orstralian roads.  ;DWould I have bought one in NZ? Hmmmm .... possibly not. The Zumo 660 IS expensive!  😮

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

Thanks for that Ken, I should say I wouldn't buy one for local use if I had to spend the cash.  The spare flybuys would get me into GPS but of course compromised a little because the only one available is the Tomtom via160 in car model.  However they do say it can supply all fuel-coffee-barber-points of interest etc stops and overseas maps.  It has bluetooth function so could if I wanted fit that into the helmets for voice instructions.

janejohnstewart
    Participant

Once I get back up north I've got an old school UK Garmin 2610 that I'm going to get loaded up with the open source NZ maps.Maybe the 2610 isn't as small and fast as the newer models (then again, who round here is).  Also, as others here have said, it's water resistant, and with the free and regularly updated open source maps it'll do everything I ever want it to.

Russell Taylor
    Participant

My TomTom Rider 2 (from Chermany) is mostly a novelty, but comes in handy when I'm going somewhere I haven't been before. Peerless in touring.I wouldn't bother when riding around your local area, but for touring they are a godsend. It's awesome knowing distance to go, alternate routes, stuff a map can tell you but not on the run.Just my thoughts.

Clive Lawrence
    Participant

Hey guy's…Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.. wish I was home to help in Chch, but glad the family weren't there.Just got a TOMTOM Rider 1 through ebay... I don't need it to do much more than the basic's... has to be better than a map, or the wife trying to read one  ;DNot a bad price... $280NZ for it, including postage from the US. Complete with bike mount. Will see how that all goes when I go to fit the thing.

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

Car version would have to be an indoor unit - no rain!

Hi Dave, just found this little beauty which I think would do the trick perfectly  😀It's designed just for holding an in car unit and is fully waterproof with an inlet for the cable.  Straps on to the handle bar.  Not sure what stops it from rotating so will make some enquiries.

Dave Ross

Car version would have to be an indoor unit - no rain!

Hi Dave, just found this little beauty which I think would do the trick perfectly  😀It's designed just for holding an in car unit and is fully waterproof with an inlet for the cable.  Straps on to the handle bar.  Not sure what stops it from rotating so will make some enquiries.

I don't think you'll need to worry about it wanting to rotate. I have a handle bar bag, so I have one more pocket to search. It has never rotated once, without my permission.  Seriously, it will be fine.

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

Thanks Alex, good to know and it does seem like a useful solution.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.