Home Forums General Discussion Gentle Annie

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I am taking a week off work to do a mid winter ride, and to clear the head and have a bit of a long overdue adventure.My intended route is Auckland to Wellington via the East Cape Wairoa and Napier.  I want to tackle the Gentle Annie, Napier to Taihape, there could be a bit of snow on the top.  I can find little information on current conditions and the NZ Motor Cycle Atlas gives little advice other than to check the weather forecast and not to do it alone.  The return trip will be Wellington to Auckland via Taranaki, Whangamomona, Ruapehu.  SH43 Whangamomona is also an unknown.Can any one give advise on the Gentle Annie section and SH43?

aegis4805
    Participant

both Gentle Annie and the Forgotten World Highway have only relatively short gravel sections (mores the pity) – of the order of 30km.Looks like you ride an R100R which should be fine - subject of course to how recently the gravel on each of these roads has been graded. have fun and enjoy your refreshing time out - cheers Aslan

John Carter
    Participant

Just did it this weekend. Absolutely superb riding, great views and wonderful views. Don't forget to fuel up before you set off!Ed

David
    Participant

https://www.bmwmc.nz/newsletters.phpdownload August 2007 Page 12http://forum.bmwor.org.nz/index.php/topic,1152.msg5903.html#msg5903 "Gunny Rob's" experience.Mine: Great road, love the Gentle Annie, make sure you do what mountainboy said and gas up before you go. Also leave earliy enough to get out the other end in daylight. We were going to have an ex-Pressec ride this year but I'm going to the other side of the world instead!have fun,

zebin lu
    Participant

I have been to Whangamomona from Stratford by car only. Found the road by car a bit tedious but if you like the twisties it should be fun on a bike. Sealed as far as W I recollect. Great cafe at W

John Carter
    Participant

Wherever you go, you will have a lot of fun!

Wade Cook
    Participant

I have completed the trip, 2200 ks in all, Auckland to wellington and back with many interesting bits in between.A few observations; Gentle Annie, did the ride Napier to Taihape, not a problem, On a road bike; take it slow and expect anything to be coming around the next hairpin bend, mostly logging or road works trucks on the road. The gravel is pretty tidy and there are heaps of road works. They are working on sealing the road with about 40 ks on the Erehwon  stretch.  Gentle Annie itself is sealed (Kurapongo) and the views are magnificent.Cape Palliser; rougher on the bike than Gentle Annie, the corrugations will shake your fillings out, but well worth the effort, do it in the early morning and there are no other users, watch for ice on the sealed surfaces at this time of the year.Rimatuka Hill; Written up in some of the guides as a must do, great road but had to stop at the top and let a long line of heavy traffic disappear from view before carrying on.Paekakariki to Ruapehu; left at 6 in the morning in the dark, heaps of stars, first part of the ride to Levin blighted by heavy opposing traffic lot of them with poorly adjusted headlights, sun rising as headed into the hills near Hunterville, sun strike and shadow combined to slow me down but made it to Waiouru in 2.5 hours, took an hour, 1 pepper steak pie and three cups of coffee to thaw out.On the whole the only real issues were a day of rain around wellington and the last 100ks back into Auckland in the pissing rain.Where to next? think it will be a long weekend and a circumnavigation of Northland.  The R1150RT did not miss a beat and is very forgiving, not too bad in the gravel either.

aegis4805
    Participant

sounds like you had a good time – good on you for taking the RT on gravel – cheers S

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.