Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk Gearbox noise

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have a 94 R1100RS that has done 35500K's. It had a 20000k service performed by the dealers in Hamilton and the 30000k service performed by a damn good bike mechanic. In the last 2000 ks it has developed a dry noise in the gearbox when stationary. I have checked the gearbox oil level and it is fine. The noise stops when you pull the clutch in and is hidden by all the other noise when the bike is moving. Any ideas where I should start looking (other than in my wallet). Also what oil should be running in the gearbox as I would like to change it to see if that helps.

Dave Ross

Could be the clutch splines.

pdmeikle57
    Participant

From what I have read on various Beemer “oilhead” forums it could indeed be clutch splines. This would mean removing the box and lubing the splines.I asked about this but my RT was a 2000 and apparantly this manual spline lube thing wasn't needed on newer models.Not expensive in itself... if you can do it yourself or get a mate to help... you also want to swap the clutch if it was getting a bit dodgy, while you're in there.CheersTracy

peter.trub
    Participant

I would have thought the clutch would have made a noise when disengaged and therefore not turning as a unit. Worth an investigation though. I would still like to know what oil to run in these gearboxes as I would like to drop the oil to get a sample, which of course means I will need to put new stuff in or there really will be a dry noise.

Grant
    Participant

Hi, If you are going to get an oil sample tested, Check first with someone from oil analysis at Gough's, [Catapiller agents] as oil sampling for metal type and content in gear oil is only good if you can trend the results against known data, and Gough's may not have much of a data base for Getrag gearbox's for BMW boxers. They can definitely tell you how much and what type of metal is present in the oil but this begs the question is this normal ?? and from this data can they predict a failure of a gear or a bearing?? My Guess is try oil change first and I use Castrol syntrax synthetic gear oil in my R1100S gearbox and final drive, and remember that Getrag are not known for their “finesse” but they are known for making bullet proof gearboxes.

2bjr
    Participant

Saying that, some one should have a guide for taking the box out. 😕

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

I have a vague recollection of some of the early R1100 bikes giving problems with the gearbox.  I would also expect that a fix would have been done but with a low milage bike maybe not.  Alan Coombes ex Auckland rides coordinator had problems with his 1100 RT which was a very early one.  I'm sure they eventually changed the gearbox for him.  This web site: http://www.tgibson.dircon.co.uk/probs.html has some info and may be of help.  Good luck.Malcolm

2bjr
    Participant

Thx, nice site. 😉

peter.trub
    Participant

Thanks for the input people. The internet is a wonderful tool. I found this which others may find enlightening http://www.rubberchickenracinggarage.com/GETRAG.docCheersColin

2bjr
    Participant

Hi.  Thx for the link. 😮

honeybear.2399
    Participant

Well worth going to that web site,  and reading article, if only to put ones mind at rest, about gear box noise.  Being new to BMW I now feel much better informed on subject.  Thanks Phil 😀

peter.trub
    Participant

just a quick progress report for the interested. I am waiting on some Motul Gearbox Oil (thats what its called oddly enough) It is said to be very good for noisy gearboxes. It has a big word that starts with moly in it so it must be good. Once it arrives sometime this week I will drop the old oil and we will see what happens.

peter.trub
    Participant

Well the old oil came out and sadly had some slivers of shiny stuff stuck on the magnet. Looks very much like case hardening. Bother. Tried the new oil anyway just in case… but no she is coming out!!! 😥

Dave Ross

So what will you do? Get a new gearbox, have the old one repaired or ride it until it's dead?

peter.trub
    Participant

Just pricing up all those options now. Not a great fan of the ride it till you kill it option as things tend to die when its cold dark and lonely 😮 I have got most of the bike in bits at present as it is undergoing surgery following an armco barrier misadventure so getting to the box is really easy  😀 I recommend you don't try for 160000ks out of a set of Pirelli's, give up at 15 and save your money 🙁

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.