Home Forums General Discussion Funeral for a friend

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Sadly my R1100RS is no more  🙁 . No a policeman did not do a U turn in front of me! and no speed was not involved. Instead a greater understanding of the perils of group riding exist for me.It was a sunny sunday, a group of about 20 - 30 riders heading North from New Plymouth. Average speed 110 (no I dont consider that speeding). Riding in stagger formation. Along the straight North of Urenui and over the top of the little rise by Okoki Rd, relaxed, comfortable, observant..... An old fire engine broken down on the side of the road, three quarters over the fog line, slowing traffic ahead, on coming vehicle (bloody wide road but move to the left? bugger off I paid for this lane they say). All the bikes coming into single lane to clear the fire engine. Basically a lot happening in a short time. Burned off my speed, down to 10 - 15 ks finished braking, getting ready to gather info on what do we do know when BANG!!!!!! the handlebars of a Triump get put into my kidneys. And from there it was all down hill  🙁  I got thrown off the right hand side off the bike and landed on my back on the road (big ups to kidney belts and back protecters). Slid a few short metres, looked back just in time to see an Aprillia somersaulting over my Beemer. Shit I hope that dont land on me I thought, jumped up ran to the side off the road, decided I was actually in a lot of pain so had a little lie down.The impact of the bike hitting me had surgically removed my indicater passengers footpeg, and riders footpeg. The rockercover was a bit secondhand from gravel rash. Unfortunatly the bike had gone to the left after I abondoned it and had run into the rear of the fire engine, totaling the front end, The Apprilia had pretty much but her out of her misery.Lessons learnt ABS will out brake any other shit, allow more room in front to give more time to stop gradually. This gives the guy behind you more time also.Dont insure your bike through State.Wear good protective gear, it did its job!!!On the plus side I had been thinking of getting a GS so thats what I have done  😀 Rubberside down people and remember, treat all others as if they are idiots, better to be wrong than suprised.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

While reading all this you had me dreading the worst. Thank God you came out alright and with a neat bike as well. Try John Baker, he is good to deal with. I hope your friends on the Aprilia and the Triumph walked away in good shape.Group riding always has the potential for carnage, knock on wood.

Anonymous

Good to see you are up and around and you will looking forward to your new gs. I have found riding back in a group after leading was not much fun due to riders slowing down in funny places without using there brake lights. I try and use the brake light every time I slow down even if I am using engine breaking to slow down. I have decided not to ride in large groups now. Some say you should sit back from the bike in front, but the bike in front slows quickly under engine braking and if you dont expect it way before the corner.  🙄

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

You should ride with us again Dean, instead with HOG group  :-D.  We try to encourage people to ride their own pace. Better to pass someone when it's safe then to follow them too closely. If you are not riding your own pace you lose concentration and end up way too close behind the other rider.

Anonymous

I find it safer in a small group of three bikes who know how each other rides there bike or just by myself with Barb on the back. Now Barbs knee is OK we can get back on the trips we did on the 1150 adventure and just ride the back roads and tracks. With the new low first gear and gearing on the 1200 adventure as well the extra 20mm suspension travel this bike is going to a great for two up riding.  😎

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Good to hear that Barbs knee is okay again. I know that you enjoyed your old Adventure and the new one should be even better. You'll be able to do more gravel roads and you won't have to worry about the road surface so much with the extra suspension travel that the Adventure has. You should keep your Hp2 as well and then you have the ultimate garage.

Anonymous

I will be free to ride some gravel from next week. 😀

Robin
    Participant

Here's a timely reminder for those of us on long trips during this summer break; vis the ride to Alexandria.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.