Home Forums General Discussion Fuel Economy

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi dear BMWOR MemberMatthias from Nelson here.  I am involved with the development of a digital speedo/odo/whatever board-computer, developed in Germany especially for motorbikes, any motorbike.  I have been using mine for close to 7 years and it hasn't missed a beat.  Some of you guys may have seen it on our rides.Unlike the original BMW instruments it is water-proof, doesn't fog up, the needles don't wobble in the cold (of course it hasn't got needles/arms), it reads onboard voltage, there's a calendar-clock, and if you have the sensors it will read oil temperature, water temperature, ambient temperature, does a rally/roadbook down to 10m accuracy with zeroing, warns you about electric faults (charging issues), it has got 2 trip counters, a tank km counter etc… too many features to list.  It replaces the entire instrumentation as you know it, including pilot lights for oil, charging, neutral, high beam, as well as instrument lighting (the display simply lights up when it's dark enough).Anyway, this wasn't intended as some blatant advertising  :o, I have no interest in this enterprise whatsoever, I just think the effort of building this thing is cool and have supported the 2 guys (!) that make it, where I can.  For example by translating the display into English.  This is where it gets interesting, and where I'd like your opinion for the next step in the development.When it comes to fuel consumption, in many Western countries the metric system of X litres per 100 km is widely used, and now also by the AA and other publications.  Anecdotally many folks refer to miles per gallon, even though distances between places are no longer measured in miles nor are gallons dispensed.  So I would like to know from you, if you had such an instrument, and it could show you your consumption (you'll have to enter the amount of fuel to make it work, of course), what would make sense to you:a)            miles per gallon (MPG)b)            litres per 100 km (l/100km)c)            km per litre (km/l)d)            I like to be able to switch between these measurese)            something else altogetherI am happy to tell you more about this thing, photos of how I installed it on an airhead boxer, the website etc.  but first you ought to answer this survey for me, so the good guys can incorporate the results into their Country Definitions for New Zealand.Your assistance is much appreciated.CheersMatthias #1810

Anonymous
    Inactive

My 2010 R1200GS Adventure does L/100km (no data entered by me) from factory and I like it. I work in L/100km the most.

Anonymous

For those curious about the results, and to save Matthias having to post them to inform us, I have added a poll.This means Gremlin will have to put his ten cents' worth in to balance my choice 😀

Anonymous
    Inactive

hitypical unginear -is consumption rate instantaneous or average since...... how do you reset? on old Mitsi Diamante cage with "computer" the instantantaneous is impressive to watch, while the average is since last fill (can't remember if resets if it is topped up or greater than X litres filled).on a bike, i only want a kms to empty. no time to ogle, so it will look at your average consumption over "sum" period and know how much juice is left and tell you how far to go. too many toys, not enough riding! Do people sit and pretend/play/compare in their garage? mine is bigger than yours?

Anonymous

mine is bigger than yours?

Well, that may well be true, but I've had fun while wearing mine down. 😮

Anonymous
    Inactive

retired b_ _ with nothing better to do!. talking about wearing down, even 4-5 FREE introductory laps (a follow the instructor parade!) at Hampton Downs made my wallet cringe. “attack” riding wastes petrol/tyres/brakes. we all know steady does it (smooth) is best. original clutch on my ocean liner at 143Km. not a drag bike!

Dave Ross

I work with b) as well. It seems to average around 6 litres. I give mine death at least once a day :-).  Still on the first clutch and brake disks. I am pleased to say it doesn't surge any more. But in summer it still pings.  I am in it for the fun and since I don't get to ride as much as I'd like to, I don't worry about the extra wear and tear.

Arne Rohde
    Participant

Normally I use b, but will calculate an approximate c in my head if I need to know how far I can travel on a given amount of fuel. So being able to switch between those two would be practical. I never calculate a, so no need to have that as an option.By the way, the software update done at the 50,000km service on the F650GS seems to have improved fuel economy. The 2,000km since then have seen an average of 3.9 l/100km according to the on-board computer, compared to 4.1 or 4.2 at various times before the update. The computer is only reset when the software is updated, or the battery is replaced.

Dave Ross

Artig, have you ever had to replace the steering-head bearings on your bike? Gerda's bike is due for the third time in 40000km. That's a bit excessive in my opinion.

Arne Rohde
    Participant

They were replaced for the first time at 48,000km, but should probably have been done at about 40,000, instead of blaming the tyres for the waywardness. Apparently it is a common problem. Some blame knobbly tyres and lots of off-road riding for shortening the lifetime of the bearings. Others claim they are not tightened according to BMW specifications. Others go for non-BMW bearings and claim a much longer lifespan. I'd accept a 40,000km lifespan, but would be unhappy and asking serious questions if they only lasted about 15,000km on average.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I added my tuppence to the poll now.Should also point out that the BMW can do range, and the fuel consumption can be reset any time you want (I do it every fill). The ranging function isn't perfect (that's BMW talk for it lies through it's teeth).

Alan
    Participant

Thx so much for your replies, guys.  And muchos thanks for the poll, Bwucie!Please keep on voting, your replies will positively influence what the product will look like when it's available here.I have received many private messages as well, and there seem to be several fuel economy reading preferences and a strong interest in being able to switch between them (or showing all of them).  Something else that comes through is the desire to tell how many more km are left in the tank.  Totally agree!  I will get on to the developpers with this.Please note that, if your bike already has such a display, you are cool, and you won't need any more gadgets (as yet, until they break down, which they won't, of course  😉 ).If you are wanting to keep your bike totally classic, you will have to nurse they old analogue intruments, get them serviced or replaced as needed.Then there are you guys with older bikes with strong motors, but the rest of it failing around the edges.  If you don't have to have it all fully original, you just want to keep tabs on speed, revs, possibly temperatures, clock etc, and everything road-legal, much larger than a bicycle computer, and lit at night, or maybe you want to do the odd adventure ride, then this is where the SIXO (www.sixo.de) is a great option.  But it cannot do magic: Older bikes don't have a fuel counting sensor.  The fuel economy calculator requires you to enter the amount of fuel filled into your bike, and to zero the tank km counter.Their website is still largely in German, contact me if you need further advice.CheersMatthias

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.