Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk Front tyre deflation

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I am on my second Conti road attack tyre on the front of my R1100RT.  As a tyre it works wonderfully well, however I have had this experience with both of them.  After about 4 months, of normal running etc with the tyres staying inflated, they begin to gradually loose pressure, to the point where, as I ride my bike daily, it needs pumping up about every three days.  The valve is OK the cap is on.What confuses me is the damn this is OK for sometime before it begins to deflate.Do any of you have the same or similar issue?Cheers 😡

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Have you had the valve changed? It could be gradually loosing pressure as well. Are your rims in ok?

Murray
    Participant

MikeTake the wheel off and dunk it in water to check for leaks. Wait until the wife's out and use the bath  😆There's only a problem if there is then no obvious leak, but at least you'll be sure it's not a tiny puncture.Tyres on nicked or bent rims will retain air during warm weather, but often leak in lower temperatures. Effective psi loss of 1 lb. per 10 degrees drop in temp is normal, regardless of any other problems.If you have alloy wheels, what can happen over time is that the piant/laquer starts to peel from the wheel itself and the air actually leaks between the laquer and the wheel. Take the tyre off the rim and clean the bead and the lip of the wheel up.If the tyre/rim bond is compromised, usually from hitting a pothole a bit hard, you'll lose a few psi each night. Solution in this case is also to take the tyre off, buff and polish the rim and refit.Otherwise, chuck a tube in and see if that sorts it.CheersGarry

Anonymous
    Inactive

Long ago I had a GPz550 Kawasaki where the front rim would gradually corrode enough at the bead to cause a very slow leak. Taking the tyre off and clening the rim would fix it for a while, but it was easier to top up the tyre regularly.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just another little check. Do you have a long valve stem? If so it is possible it is leaking during use. the heavier long stems move under acceleration and braking and expell air from the o/d. Thanks for that because I realize I have a case in point. My own ,as my wifes bike hardly ever needs pressure adjustment ( short stem ) and my rear tyre is always down (long stem )

Mark Williams
    Participant

Thanks for all your helpful replies.  😀I have checked the front rim and to my eyes, it looks fine, but I have had a few nasty pot hole experiences, some a regular features of the road I travel!It does have a long valve stem and I am surprised how much play it has.The tyre is lasting well considering all things so I don't want to replace it.By the way, the back tyre holds its pressure without an issueAt the next service I intend to get a tube put in.Cheers and happy riding to you all  😎

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.