Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk Fork seal replacement 1150GS

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

Hi,Seem to be losing oil from one of my front forks (2001, 1150GS) so I'm about to whip the sliders out, check the quantity of oil and replace the seals (almost $35 each!).The manual says I need to take the front wheel off, and all the accompanying bits, but this chap (http://www.ecape.bmwclubs.org.za/content.asp?PageID=171) seems to think I can get away with just undoing the top bolts.Do I have to do it the hard way or the easy way? :evil:I only noticed when the steering got a bit of a loose feel to it, there's not much oil visible at all but probably enough has been lost to affect the slider return.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Is the job really as simple as this bloke suggests 😕 – and does his method apply equally as well to a 1997 K1100?

Anonymous
    Inactive

After wiping the dust off my spanners and having a proper look last night, I decided I wouldn't be able to do the job in an evening.  Looks like I'll be better off removing some of the plastics as well as following the BMW procedure (removal of wheel etc.).  You probably could replace the seals using the quick way, but it would be painful and you'd end up scratching all the surfaces.  I wouldn't be confident of getting all the old oil out either, so you'd end up with an unknown/uneven quantity, which is what I think is causing my handling glitch.I'd think the K1100 fairing would get in your way  even more than the beak on my 1150GS - so no to a quick replacement.

Stuart Burns
    Participant

Alex, Have you already got the seals? I've got one or two sat in my shed, still bagged up. Haven't go a GS now, so surplus, you're welcome to it/them FOC. Let me know if you can make use of them, and I'll check how many I've actually got. Think it might only be the one...

Stuart Burns
    Participant

btw, it is very easy to do them with the fork legs 'in situ'more or less oil will have no effect on the handling....oil in the fork legs is for lubrication only, all the damping is done by the centrally mounted damper.

Dave Ross

I've got to apologize for not picking up the pads from you. I've been past your place a couple of times, but have had not cash on me. If you email me your account number I'll transfer you the money.

Stuart Burns
    Participant

Alex,  I've had a look and I've got one seal and one dust cover, both bagged, never used. Let me know if you want them.Koko  I'll mail you my bank details on Monday, don't have your addy on home PC!

Dave Ross

Hi Tony, thanks for that, I'll take the seal as well. It's bound to happen one of these days.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi, been in Perth at a wedding so apologies for not replying sooner.Thanks for the offer but I've already bought new seals, whilst I was there I had a chat with someone who also doubted it was a lack of oil in the front forks, so maybe over this long weekend I'll just pull it apart and see what's going on.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.