Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk F650GS Tyre repair

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

For our trip to the Annual Rally I've bought some tyre irons and a tube repair kit. Then I checked out the tools that come with the bike. I am glad I did. You can't actually take the wheels off with those tools and you need to for a puncture repair.The R1150Gs has the tools to take the wheels off, but as they are tubeless tyres, you don't actually need to take them off. Now I'll be carrying the tools for this trip. I also had a cheap Warehouse electric air-pump sitting around. I took off the plastic housing and was amazed how little bulk there is left. The actual pump fits in the palm of your hand, not counting the hose. I've been using the pump for a couple of years now and it still works well. It will be coming with us.I would not normally bother with all this stuff, but I figured that even though I've never had a puncture on my bikes before it will  eventually happen at the worst possible time half way up the Nevis. All other problems will have to be fixed by Mr.Visa. I take it there will be no cellphone coverage in any of those areas.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes you are right, I carry these things with me all the time  🙂I would add a valve removal toolThey are difficult to do, I had problems with the last one I had, so I never look forward to it  🙁Have a good tripCheers

dave.valma
    Participant

for v/v removal you can still get the v/v caps with the 2 lugs on them. one on each wheel and you will have a spare as well.

Sonya Ellis
    Participant

Has anyone tried”Slime” the green stuff in a bottle which is supposed to seal a puncture? I bought a bottle after reading about it, I think on http://www.f650.com. Fortunately haven't yet needed to use it, but would be interested to hear from anyone who has. It comes with one of those valve caps to remove the core to, the only other thing you need is a pump, I bought a small double acting hand pump from a bicycle shop which works quite well.

Dave Ross

I haven't tried it, but I've heard that it is messy to clean up afterwards. I am not sure if it even works all that well on tubed tyres. I'll stick to the ordinary puncture repair method. Wheel off, tube out and repair. Knock on wood, I won't have to do it. I try not to run my tread down to the minimum, to minimize the risk of a puncture. I got lucky recently, when I pulled out a 4cm long nail from the tread of my tubeless tyres, without causing a puncture.

Sonya Ellis
    Participant

Yea, don't know how good it is, but it does say only for tubed tyres, not tubeless, so I guess if you throw away the tube when you do the permanent repair then not much mess.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.