Home Forums General Discussion F650GS (twin)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

We have a new edition to the bike family. It's slightly used, but pretty in red , with ABS, computer, heated grips and tyre pressure monitor. Still needs a radiator screen and some sort of sump guard, possibly even crash bars. But there is no rush.First it will go back to Experience for some TLC and a service.Hopefully one day it will be my turn again :-).

Jim Young
    Participant

Wheres the pics ?????????  😎

aegis4805
    Participant

sounds good Alex – hopefully Gerda has a large grin with her new bike – you're certainly a couple of devoted beemer fans – cheers Aslan

Dave Ross

sounds good Alex - hopefully Gerda has a large grin with her new bike - you're certainly a couple of devoted beemer fans - cheers Aslan

She's been struggling to get her helmet on, with that grin on her face. The F650GS didn't have many competitors in our case. Seat height is an issue, and BMW is one of the few companies who have taken notice. I like my boxer engines, especially the old ones, so I guess that makes me devoted. I also like the idea of receiving excellent parts support for bikes of virtually any age. This is  not a given for other manufacturers.

Dave Ross

Wheres the pics ?????????  😎

It looks like any other red F650GS, here is one form the archive 🙂news_bmw_f650gs08_03_preview.jpg

Arne Rohde
    Participant

Congratulations, Gerda. It's a great bike.If it's one of the earliest models there are (at least) two things you should check, or get Experience to check. They were common faults, according to the various forums.The chains on some early bikes were either bad quality or from a bad batch, and would develop tight spots, wear, or just break after only a short distance. If it's still the original chain keep a watch out for tight spots. The links don't move easily, and you'll see definite kinks in the chain when it's not stretched tight. It should be a replacement under warranty if it fails. At the same time it's worth getting the front sprocket from the F800GS installed, to lower the gearing slightly. Some chain failures may also have been due to the rear wheel not being aligned correctly.Another common fault is a radiator hose that is slightly too short, which can dislodge completely at one end. One of the hoses from the radiator to the engine. Again it should be replaced under warranty if it's one of the short ones.

Dave Ross

Thanks for the info, Arne. I've had a look at the hose and the upper right side hose appears to be very short, the clamp overhangs the pipe.  We'll see if they can replace that for us. The chain seems fine, but needs a good clean. It's covered in grease.

Dave Ross

Here is an original  😀DSC01234.jpg

Dave Ross

Arne, here is a detail of the hose.

Arne Rohde
    Participant

That looks like a short hose to me. It should be up against those ribs acting as a hose stop. I'm still waiting for mine to be replaced.For more than you will ever need to know about radiator hoses on F650/800GS have a look at the sticky thread on UKGSer F650/800GS forum.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Congrats on the new bike Gerda. I really like that 650, it seems to be a really practical all rounder. Have you managed to get a few good trips on the bike yet?I'm guessing you're probably finding the new bike is better in many ways. What's your experience of the bike so far?Are TKC 80's in it's future?

Mark Mackay
    Participant

Nice bike Gerda is Alex allowed to take it away for the next adv ride in the back blocks?

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

Very envious Gerda  😛 looks great I'm sure you'll love it.  Brought the little Sherpa home on Saturday and Jean had a play last night  – but we'll be taking it very slowly  😮Malcolm

Dave Ross

Gerda wants to thank you guys for  your kind words. We have had a couple of shortish rides. She found the F650GS easier to handle than the F650GS. I am not sure if we'll bother with TKC80. Anakees should do the trick for most surfaces that we are likely to ride on. Maybe for the the South Island tour next year, we'll see.Experience will  replace the short hose. I had a look at a 2009 model and it had a much longer hose installed, so long in fact that it covered part of those two ribs on the pipe.One of the Australian magazines had an advertisement for the new G(F)650GS with a black engine. I wonder if they'll bring that to NZ as well. The X-Challenge, X-Country and X-Moto  will no longer be sold in Australia and I guess that means NZ as well. Probably a very good time to pick up one of the X-Challenge bikes for a reasonable price.

Dave Morris
    Participant

when do the side covers arrive

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.